• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boonen on coke - again!?

f'cking idiot.

There goes his Tour again this year.

Quickstep should fire him too.

The guy seems to be completely useless as any kind of a positive sporting model for sponsors.

Coke, habitual speeding while driving. He's become an egotistical tosser. End of career.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
At this point I think he's a junkie. Now will the UCI take some action on this matter? Or will Cocaine still be considered a slap on the wrist violation? Whereas the rest of the world would end up in Jail for using it or at least being caught with it...

This needs to be dealt a Two year ban at a minimum, if not it will only mean the UCI is powerless or gutless to do anything about doping overall in the sport.

ElChingon said:
This needs to be dealt a Two year ban at a minimum, if not it will only mean the UCI is powerless or gutless to do anything about doping overall in the sport.

Won't be anything of the sort. There are no sporting sanctions for cocaine use out of competition. Doesn't mean there won't be some kind of 'unofficial' sanctions - he'll probably get excluded from some races, but no official ban. And then there is the regular Belgian court of course. Since this is his second offense, I'm sure they'll want to do something.

A

Anonymous

ElChingon said:
At this point I think he's a junkie. Now will the UCI take some action on this matter? Or will Cocaine still be considered a slap on the wrist violation? Whereas the rest of the world would end up in Jail for using it or at least being caught with it...

Junkie is an interesting word.. usually associated with heroin.. bit harsh...if Tom is a junkie after taking coke, then im afraid so are 70% of celebrities in the UK, 80% of clubgoers in the UK, and if any of you have children over 16 most of them have tried it as well (15 in certain areas)

Coke is currently the most used recreational drug in the country (even more so than marujana if some reports are to be believed) and its pretty much everywhere.. you see it all over the uk, in bars, parties, everywhere, and across europe its in some areas more widespread..

Do i think he should be done for taking coke, god no, its not performancing enhancing, hes just a prat (and no i dont do it), however i do think he should face similar charges to bos (the equivalent of facing charges of bringing the sport into disrepute) facing a 1-6 month ban, which would probably tarnish his career irretrevably as most armchair viewers would assume it was a "doping" ban and assume he was cheating..

Buffalo Soldier said:
Seems like he really has a coke problem, so he should be treated for that.

OH dear.. it was out of competition, hits a club or a party has a line.. his second one in a year... get real.. lol

in not condoning his behaviour, or sticking up for him.. i think a short ban, and obvioulsy hes going to face legal action.. but at the ssame time phrases like junkie, doper, and "has a drug problem" are fairly ridiculous..

Even made the BBC tv news.
They suggest the Belgian fed may have to do something this time.
Unfortunately, nobody takes the BBC's cycling "advice" seriously.

He seems to have found the answer for avoiding those hard, 3 week jobs, in favour of one of those long beach holidays.

Something tells me the BF will take another leaf out of the Spanish feds OP book.;)

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
And then there is the regular Belgian court of course. Since this is his second offense, I'm sure they'll want to do something.
According to his lawyer, he has broken the terms of his last trial, there will be juridical consequences.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Cocaine use out-of-competition is not subject to sporting sanctions.

that might be true to the letter of the uci law but what about morally? accepted, the uci does not have the spine to act but what about the sponsors? i hope that they and the belgian authorities do something legally through the court or suspend his racing license. the guy clearly has no idea how to behave considering his status in belgium.

dimspace said:
OH dear.. it was out of competition, hits a club or a party has a line.. his second one in a year... get real.. lol

His second discovered cocain use in a year.

If you get caught speeding twice in a year, it usually means you've been speeding a bit more than those two times - yeah, I think this analogy fits here.

Regardless, I think its time for Boonen to come clean, so to speak. No more excuses, admit your fault and move on, even if it means a "narcotics anonymus" program. The general publics judgement would make any juridicial penalty the minor of two evils.

You're a big boy, Tom - step up to the plate and take it like a man.

dimspace said:
Junkie is an interesting word.. usually associated with heroin.. bit harsh...if Tom is a junkie after taking coke, then im afraid so are 70% of celebrities in the UK, 80% of clubgoers in the UK, and if any of you have children over 16 most of them have tried it as well (15 in certain areas)

Cocaine is not a recreational drug, it's heavy narcotics. It's second only to heroine in addictiveness and physical harm.

Treating this case like Tom was just doing some pot is not helping him. Given that he has now tested positive for cocaine twice with a years diffrence it's quite possible that these are not the only times he's tried it.

If he in fact has a cocaine addiction then that will most likely mean the end of his career unless he gets help to get out of it. I hope for his sake that he isn't addicted.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Come on mate. You take coke for one reason.... so you can drink more and shag like a demon... everyone knows it. There is no other reason.... TommyB is a party boy..... I would suggest Tom was using phets in his young days in Belguim and its progressed from there. Its hard to give this stuff up when it gives you such a short term kick. So yeah back to your response. Junkie is not tough word to use. He is a junkie. He can't kick the ****. Even if his career banked on it.

dimspace said:

Coke is currently the most used recreational drug in the country (even more so than marujana if some reports are to be believed) and its pretty much everywhere.. you see it all over the uk, in bars, parties, everywhere, and across europe its in some areas more widespread..

Do i think he should be done for taking coke, god no, its not performancing enhancing, hes just a prat (and no i dont do it), however i do think he should face similar charges to bos (the equivalent of facing charges of bringing the sport into disrepute) facing a 1-6 month ban, which would probably tarnish his career irretrevably as most armchair viewers would assume it was a "doping" ban and assume he was cheating..

in not condoning his behaviour, or sticking up for him.. i think a short ban, and obvioulsy hes going to face legal action.. but at the ssame time phrases like junkie, doper, and "has a drug problem" are fairly ridiculous..

Not only shag like a demon, but train like a demon too.

Those 7 hour training rides have to be a lot easier to get through with a little stimulation.

No, it's not a "harmless" bit of recreation. he should go.

A

Anonymous

but he cant be banned for using a substance that is not banned out of competition..

like a say 1-6 months for being aprat and bringing bad light on the sport.. career irretrevably tarnished as a result.. job done...

and we start referring to him as rodney

A

Anonymous

ingsve said:
Cocaine is not a recreational drug, it's heavy narcotics. It's second only to heroine in addictiveness and physical harm. .

you sure you not getting cocaine and crack cocaine muddled up.. :?

--------------
wiki.
Modern usage

In many countries, cocaine is a popular recreational drug. In the United States, the development of "crack" cocaine introduced the substance to a generally poorer inner-city market. Use of the powder form has stayed relatively constant, experiencing a new height of use during the late 1990s and early 2000s in the U.S., and has become much more popular in the last few years in the UK. Cocaine use is prevalent across all socioeconomic strata, including age, demographics, economic, social, political, religious, and livelihood.
-----------------

in the uk its very widespread.. you can get it in any bar, you see people taking it in the toilets of just about any busy city pub, kids are on it, schoolkids, its so widespread and trendy its ridiculous.. not to be confused with the american crack-head.... very different products..

dimspace said:

Coke is currently the most used recreational drug in the country (even more so than marujana if some reports are to be believed) and its pretty much everywhere.. you see it all over the uk, in bars, parties, everywhere, and across europe its in some areas more widespread...

Yea in Italy, from what they say, coke is a glam drug...and it seems that among athletes (footballers as well as cyclists), politicians (something like 50% of Italian parlimentaries were found to have assumed it in an undercover TV investigation on the "politically incorrect" Iene show by testing hair samples, with the obvious media scandal, which also obviously, because we're in Italy, scandalized practically nobody!), just like among models, actors, actresses and I wouldn't even be surprised among the Church prelates, its usage is widespread.

I've had cyclists here tell me about doing coke to stay out with friends all night in the disco clubs, so that they could race the next day. I guess that was back when nat all the races were controlled.

In any case, Tom's case seems to me to be typical of the star/jetset scene he has become immersed in. But I pass no moral judgments on the man. My only thoughts are that he's either incredibly stupid or an incredible adict. In either case he will probably be fired from his squadra, whereas in the latter case, after he's fired, his family and friends need to support the guy. Because coke adiction can be lethal. Just look at what happened to Marco Pantani

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
I've had cyclists here tell me about doing coke to stay out with friends all night in the disco clubs, so that they could race the next day. I guess that was back when nat all the races were controlled.

In any case, Tom's case seems to me to be typical of the star/jetset scene he has become immersed in. But I pass no moral judgments on the man. My only thoughts are that he's either incredibly stupid or an incredible adict. In either case he will probably be fired from his squadra, whereas in the latter case, after he's fired, his family and friends need to support the guy. Because coke adiction can be lethal. Just look at what happened to Marco Pantani

Hope so ! Then the Hog can hire him & get him riding for the Livestrong/CeRA team.

A

Anonymous

craig1985 said:
Christ, I hope don't have another Pantani (RIP) on our hands.

Ok. now we really are getting silly... if everyone in europe that did a line of coke died it would wipe out half the population..

whiteboytrash said:
Hope so ! Then the Hog can hire him & get him riding for the Livestrong/CeRA team.

because recreational coke use for non performance enhancing reasons is the same as joining a team that YOU allege is using cera for performance enhancing reasons.. Numpty...

actually in the case of whiteboytrash why am i bothering replying to a troll a) coke and cera are completely different b) unless you know something we dont there is no evidence that astana are all using cera (although it wouldnt surprise me if a couple of there riders where last spring) c) and allegations that JB will hire anyone who has taken coke, or failed a drugs test are frankly absurd, if so he would have hired basso, landis, hamilton, and be pleased to see vinny returning..

TRENDING THREADS