• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boxing

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Even if I'm a big Mayweather fan, McGregor destroyed him tonight. Mofo is really funny, but he's gonna lose bad on August 26. This s hit show will be better than the fight itself. Tomorrow Brooklyn and Friday, London.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
The Hitch said:
How staged was all of that.

Clearly it was to some extent.

Some people think Mayweather and Mcgregor even met in private beforehand to script it all out.
Yeah, I didn't even bother to watch that staged pro wrestling bs.
The sad thing is that this circus killed all the buzz around Golovkin vs Canelo.

The Hitch said:
How staged was all of that.

Clearly it was to some extent.

Some people think Mayweather and Mcgregor even met in private beforehand to script it all out.
I'm pretty certain that there was a "structure" to it, but a lot of it was spontaneous IMO. Rumor has it that they agreed not to touch each other beyond a tag or a brush here or there (CMc rubbed FM's head, and FM brushed his shoulder against CMc several times while filming the fun, etc...).

All good fun! August 26th....

Someone pointed out that if it had been legit, conor would have mentioned mayweathers prison thing.

Instead he just said "fook" 100 times a day.

Also they were both writing cheques they clearly have no intention of cashing. Eg when Mayweather said "lets go to Dublin tomorrow". Mcgregor said he might just start the fight now.

Having watched wrestling in the past I just saw too many actions im familiar with. The "we might fight now" routine is always used of course pre ppv. The fake attempts to make them look like they will fight.

Mayweather sending his bodyguards on Conor. Dana just sitting there laughing without saying a word.

Does conor have animosity to the white guy in mayweathers crew he kept calling out (showtime president or something). Or did they just decide before hand it was the perfect stooge to play heel.

Remember, the hype matters more than the actual fight. But it looks like one person wasn't interested in being part of that.
Paulie Malignaggi has walked out of Conor McGregor's training camp after photos were leaked of their sparring sessions...But he quit after photos were posted on social media which, Malignaggi claimed, painted a false picture of the sessions. One showed the American flat on his back on the canvas as McGregor stood over him, and another showed Malignaggi's face badly marked up.

"There was a pushdown yesterday. Conor on the inside, he can get a little rough. He shoved me down, you know, but no knockdowns. Obviously, 12 rounds, you're gonna see there's a mark on my face...It's not nice to paint a picture that isn't true, this was a pushdown in sparring, post the whole video rounds, one through 12, unedited."

"The @ufc PI has cameras all over the gym recording 24/7. The video exists unedited of rounds one through 12 on Tuesday night, let the fans see.

"I came to help this camp out, not to be exploited, now your gonna get the truth though.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/conor-mcgregor-suffers-blow-ahead-10927328

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Remember, the hype matters more than the actual fight. But it looks like one person wasn't interested in being part of that.
Paulie Malignaggi has walked out of Conor McGregor's training camp after photos were leaked of their sparring sessions...But he quit after photos were posted on social media which, Malignaggi claimed, painted a false picture of the sessions. One showed the American flat on his back on the canvas as McGregor stood over him, and another showed Malignaggi's face badly marked up.

"There was a pushdown yesterday. Conor on the inside, he can get a little rough. He shoved me down, you know, but no knockdowns. Obviously, 12 rounds, you're gonna see there's a mark on my face...It's not nice to paint a picture that isn't true, this was a pushdown in sparring, post the whole video rounds, one through 12, unedited."

"The @ufc PI has cameras all over the gym recording 24/7. The video exists unedited of rounds one through 12 on Tuesday night, let the fans see.

"I came to help this camp out, not to be exploited, now your gonna get the truth though.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/conor-mcgregor-suffers-blow-ahead-10927328

According to an earlier report McGregor was getting beaten up by his sparring partners !

Considering what Malignaggi implied, I imagine he was having his way with McGregor when he wanted as well. But this isn't about fighting. It's about money. Spin, spin, spin. Tell the world how incredible McGregor is - he'll tell you himself! Then, he fights an aging, rusty Floyd who has little power left, but enough skills to easily make McGregor look bad, almost from the outset. Then after x rounds, and little drama, he quits on his stool after a few rounds of showboating, and they both laugh all the way to the bank. "You fell for it, suckas!"

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Considering what Malignaggi implied, I imagine he was having his way with McGregor when he wanted as well. But this isn't about fighting. It's about money. Spin, spin, spin. Tell the world how incredible McGregor is - he'll tell you himself! Then, he fights an aging, rusty Floyd who has little power left, but enough skills to easily make McGregor look bad, almost from the outset. Then after x rounds, and little drama, he quits on his stool after a few rounds of showboating, and they both laugh all the way to the bank. "You fell for it, suckas!"

Unbelievably it seems some people are getting excited by the bout, as well as the accountants for the boxers and promoters I mean............

I'm not paying that close of attention - it's social reaction to marketing at this point (!) - but my prediction is McGregor quits on his stool after the 5th round. Floyd will tag him a couple times and cautiously showboat a little for a round, then find his rhythm for a round or two, focusing on defense. When he is assured he won't get surprised or hammered, he'll open up his offense enough and repeatedly hit McGregor fairly easily until Connor has had enough and gives up. They'll shake, take photos for the media, and cash their checks. McGregor will talk about the experience, and Floyd will desperately try to fool everyone into thinking he is the greatest of all time, and his better than Marciano record proves it, blah, blah.

While people continue to talk about this joke of a fight, Vladimir Klitschko, the greatest heavyweight of his generation (along with his brother Vitali), retires, and not a peep. Sure, he didn't have a lot of great opposition, but that wasn't his fault. He fought everyone who was available; only Joe Louis had more successful title defenses, and Vlad had the longest HW championship reign of anyone, twelve freaking years. Belatedly, more and more boxing observers are beginning to recognize him as one of the greatest HWs of all time.

Personally, of course, he couldn't be a greater contrast to Mayweather. Intelligent, educated, multi-lingual, involved in several charities, a great ambassador to the sport. IOW, in today's climate, totally boring. Sorry for interrupting the discussion of the Fight of the Century.

Re:

Merckx index said:
While people continue to talk about this joke of a fight, Vladimir Klitschko, the greatest heavyweight of his generation (along with his brother Vitali), retires, and not a peep. Sure, he didn't have a lot of great opposition, but that wasn't his fault. He fought everyone who was available; only Joe Louis had more successful title defenses, and Vlad had the longest HW championship reign of anyone, twelve freaking years. Belatedly, more and more boxing observers are beginning to recognize him as one of the greatest HWs of all time.

Personally, of course, he couldn't be a greater contrast to Mayweather. Intelligent, educated, multi-lingual, involved in several charities, a great ambassador to the sport. IOW, in today's climate, totally boring. Sorry for interrupting the discussion of the Fight of the Century.
It is unfortunate that Vladi didn't get a better goodbye, but my guess is that he prefers that. Most major news outlets did have at least a column about him though. Even if he would have retired last year, without the attention being on FM & CMc, there wouldn't have been much fanfare. I've said many times, boxing is killing itself, poor promotion, too many belts, poor judging, etc... VK is a glaring example, he was never promoted well enough.

I thought he was going to give another go at it, but I think it's smart he retired. I think in the Joshua fight Wladimir showed more heart and determination than a lot of people (me included) thought he ever did.

I'm not old enough to remember Joe Louis (maybe Merckx is ;) ), but I do remember Larry Holmes, and of course Lennox Lewis. They all had the same problem in that they didn't face as great of competition as other generations, but like Wladimir, you can't blame them for that.

Bert Sugar called Kitchckho (I think Vitali) the second coming of Primo Carnera, a hulking, plodding HW from the 30's. But I think Wald especially learned to adapt his style to just win fights, drama or not. He was always fit, prepared, and did what it took to win. Something Carnera couldn't sustain with his great size, that's for darned sure.

I think when we look back in 10-20 years, people will respect him more.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I thought he was going to give another go at it, but I think it's smart he retired. I think in the Joshua fight Wladimir showed more heart and determination than a lot of people (me included) thought he ever did.

I'm not old enough to remember Joe Louis (maybe Merckx is ;) ), but I do remember Larry Holmes, and of course Lennox Lewis. They all had the same problem in that they didn't face as great of competition as other generations, but like Wladimir, you can't blame them for that.

Bert Sugar called Kitchckho (I think Vitali) the second coming of Primo Carnera, a hulking, plodding HW from the 30's. But I think Wald especially learned to adapt his style to just win fights, drama or not. He was always fit, prepared, and did what it took to win. Something Carnera couldn't sustain with his great size, that's for darned sure.

I think when we look back in 10-20 years, people will respect him more.

Yeah it would have been interesting to see how Holmes would have gone in Ali, Frazier and Foreman's peak years and there were many other good boxers at that time in the heavyweight division as well.

Why are people, especially people who make a living at presenting sports entertainment, asking why CMc won't release all of his sparring footage? Seriously? Anyone who asks that must not understand combat sports, they are are't very smart, or maybe both.

Some of that may be stemming from what Malignaggi said after the photos of him on the canvas, and a short clip of the same, with CM standing over him were released. Randy Couture also called BS on it.

Sticking with my prediction, though the outcome may be sooner. It's just a matter of how long Floyd wants to be cautious and focus on defense, and entertain. As soon as the fight settles in (could be 2 minutes, or two rounds) Floyd should easily have his way with Conner. After that, it's only a matter of time before McGregor quits on his stool, and heads to the bank.

Again, this is about hype, and money. PT Barnum would be proud.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Some of that may be stemming from what Malignaggi said after the photos of him on the canvas, and a short clip of the same, with CM standing over him were released. Randy Couture also called BS on it.

Sticking with my prediction, though the outcome may be sooner. It's just a matter of how long Floyd wants to be cautious and focus on defense, and entertain. As soon as the fight settles in (could be 2 minutes, or two rounds) Floyd should easily have his way with Conner. After that, it's only a matter of time before McGregor quits on his stool, and heads to the bank.

I watched Showtime's "All Access" last night and noticed that Mayweather was doing everything except for training for the fight against CMcG, meanwhile Conner McG was training like an animal and I thought to myself that Floyd might be taking this fight with a grain of salt and CMcG might have a chance. When the show ended as I watched the credits (on accident) I noticed that Floyd Mayweather was an "Executive Producer" and I thought to myself that Floyd just showed everyone what he wanted us to see which is the fantasy that CMcG has an actual chance at beating him. I bought right into the narrative until I saw that Floyd Mayweather was the one actually in charge of what we were seeing, now I realize it was just a marketing ploy and neither Conner McGregor nor Floyd Mayweather believe that the MMA champ will waltz into the ring and beat arguably the best fighter in boxing history, it's all just a show to line their pockets with hundreds of millions of dollars....

Yes, PT Barnum would be awfully proud of these two.

More power to them.. :p

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

I watched Showtime's "All Access" last night and noticed that Mayweather was doing everything except for training for the fight against CMcG, meanwhile Conner McG was training like an animal and I thought to myself that Floyd might be taking this fight with a grain of salt and CMcG might have a chance. When the show ended as I watched the credits (on accident) I noticed that Floyd Mayweather was an "Executive Producer" and I thought to myself that Floyd just showed everyone what he wanted us to see which is the fantasy that CMcG has an actual chance at beating him. I bought right into the narrative until I saw that Floyd Mayweather was the one actually in charge of what we were seeing, now I realize it was just a marketing ploy and neither Conner McGregor nor Floyd Mayweather believe that the MMA champ will waltz into the ring and beat arguably the best fighter in boxing history, it's all just a show to line their pockets with hundreds of millions of dollars....

Yes, PT Barnum would be awfully proud of these two.

More power to them.. :p

Change Mayweather for Creed and CMcG for Balboa...

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

I'm predicting a KO or TKO by Floyd by the halfway point not that I'm that interested. I also read that Pacman looks like going ahead with a rematch with Jeff Horn. Two fights I won't be watching live or forking out dollars for.

How much is this joke of a show going to make? Start with the projections for the gross:

At $100 per unit, the pay-per-view could generate more than $500 million in pay-per-view revenue. Ticket sales figure to top out just under $90 million, surpassing the record of $72.2 million set in 2015 by Mayweather-Pacquiao.

International broadcast rights could reach as much as $100 million, though that may be a bit optimistic. Sponsorships for the fight – which, bizarrely, have yet to be announced and thus hasn’t allowed the kind of branding seen on other major sporting events – could hit $20 million.

Next, how is the money divvied up?

Understanding how much the fighters will walk away with when the accounting is finished is difficult for several reasons...

There are three deals that are key to understanding in order to accurately determine the amount the fighters could make, and none of them are public knowledge.

The first is how the overall revenue will be split by Mayweather, his company Mayweather Promotions and his adviser, Al Haymon, on one side and McGregor and the UFC on the other.

A source told Yahoo Sports that a 60-40 split on the revenue made after expenses in Mayweather’s favor “is a good guess,” but there is no way to know that precisely without seeing the contract.

The second deal is the terms the UFC and McGregor made on how to split their share of the net revenues. McGregor’s UFC contract forbids him from doing other sports, but he negotiated a deal with the UFC to allow him to box Mayweather…

The third deal is the one negotiated between the promotion itself and the cable and satellite distributors. In a normal boxing model, out of every $100 generated from pay-per-view, $50 would go to the cable and satellite companies and $50 to the promotion.

Then, out of the promotion’s $50, it would have to pay another $7.50 to the television network producing the pay-per-view, usually Showtime, as in this case, or HBO. That means that in a normal situation, the promotion would net $42.50 out of every $100 in PPV sales. Out of that $42.50, on a 60-40 split, the Mayweather side would get $25.50 for every $100 sold and the McGregor side would get $17.

Adding it all up:

under the standard terms, five million pay-per-view sales would result in $500 million gross revenue. The Mayweather side would under the formula above net $127.5 million, while the McGregor side would get $85 million.

But there will be several hundred million more in additional revenues for them to divvy up, after expenses. If we assume that the fight does $100 million from international broadcast rights, $20 million from sponsors, $85 million from the paid gate and $5 million from merchandising, that’s another $210 million...

If we take off $25 million for expenses, that would cut that figure to $186 million. The Mayweather side’s 60 percent of that would be $111.6 million, while the McGregor side’s 40 percent comes out to be $74.4 million.

For the Mayweather side, adding the $127.5 million in U.S. pay-per-view money to the $111.6 million from other sources, and his side is divvying up $239.1 million. McGregor’s side would add the $85 million in pay-per-view to the $74.4 million in other revenues, meaning it would make $159.4 million.

That accounts to $398.5 million in profit for the two sides.

How much of this is guaranteed to the fighters before the show?

Neither Mayweather nor McGregor’s guarantee is publicly known. Leonard Ellerbe, the CEO of Mayweather Promotions, said the figure won’t be revealed until Aug. 25 at the weigh-in. Attar told Yahoo Sports that he could not reveal the guarantee but said it would be “extraordinary.” A source said McGregor’s guarantee would be in the $50 million range.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mayweather-mcgregor-economics-fight-170450736.html

Merckx got me to post, but a lot of people are saying similar things. What if it isn't a joke? What if it turns out to be a good fight? Th amount of money is absolutely disgusting, but I would really like it to be a good fight (I'm going for the full glass instead of the shattered glass).

That being said, Its not like every fight is great regardless of who the two fighters are. Of the 100s of fights I've watched in my life, 50% of them were OK to bad, and of the other half, only about 1/3 were great. Steve Martin Math aside, IMO only about 15% of fights are great so if this event does bomb like some want it to, it will be in good (bad) company.