• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boxing

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Interesting fight. I think Golovkin won in the middle rounds. Not the easiest fight to score. Canelo landed the biggest shots and had the better hand speed but Golovkin just kept working after losing the first few rounds. I was more impressed with Golovkin's chin than his punching and he was missing a lot but if you can fight at that pace at the age of 35 you are doing alright ! The judge that had the fight 118-110 for Canelo was seeing a different fight to me. i think Dave Moretti's score that had Golovkin winning by two rounds was fair. Canelo came back well in the late rounds but was only fighting in spurts and his best punches didn't seem to hurt Golovkin. Good fight but once again a controversial decision.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes, 7-5 for Golovkin seems fine for me. The fight being scored a draw isn't something outlandish, but scoring it 118-110 for Canelo is just bs.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Yes, 7-5 for Golovkin seems fine for me. The fight being scored a draw isn't something outlandish, but scoring it 118-110 for Canelo is just bs.

Yes not the worst draw I have seen, not even close and at first reaction Golovkin didn't seem too concerned. The body language was interesting. To me I think Canelo thought he had lost. The main controversy will be over the scoring by one judge just like one judge had a ridiculous score in the Horn v Pacman fight.

Adalaide Byrd, the judge who scored it 118-110 (10-2 in rounds) for Canelo, has been “stood down”, which I guess means suspended, by the Nevada Boxing Commission. Byrd has apparently turned in some other highly questionable scorecards, in fights I’m not familiar with.

At first I thought she was the same judge who scored the first Pacquiao-Bradley fight for Bradley, and also scored the Mayweather-Canelo fight for Canelo. Those were comparably unfair decisions. But that was C.J. Ross, who to her credit, retired after the latter decision.

I feel a little sorry for GGG, not so much for the decision—it was a close fight, and a draw is not an outrageous result—but that he had to wait till he was 35, and probably in decline, to get this fight. A few years ago the fight almost certainly would not have been close, he would have won by KO. That would have been in part because Canelo hadn’t fully developed as a fighter, but the GGG of several years ago I’m pretty sure would have dominated even Alvarez as he is today. Canelo’s promoter, Oscar, following a tactic long used by those managing boxers, waited to make the match, knowing the older GGG got, the more the odds would turn in his favor. Assuming there is a rematch, the odds for Canelo should grow even more.

The same thing happened to another great middleweight recently, Sergio Martinez. For many years he couldn’t get a really good opponent. When he finally did, people realized how good he was, but he was so old at that point that his time in the sun didn’t last long. If he and GGG had been contemporaries, they would have made a great match.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:
Watch the Teddy Atlas rant and his rant with SAS:

http://www.espn.com/boxing/

Why is SAS flappin' his mouth? He thinks he is the ultimate expert on all sports, yet IMO he isn't really an expert in any sport. How did he get to his status among talking heads?

It's hard to watch him. Everything becomes a rant. He should stick to basketball.

We basketball fans (or at least me) don't want him either. He's like what Al Pacino evolved to as an actor about 10 years ago: lots of yelling and hysterics (and I say this as true Pacino fan).

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Angliru said:
movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:

Why is SAS flappin' his mouth? He thinks he is the ultimate expert on all sports, yet IMO he isn't really an expert in any sport. How did he get to his status among talking heads?

It's hard to watch him. Everything becomes a rant. He should stick to basketball.

We basketball fans (or at least me) don't want him either. He's like what Al Pacino evolved to as an actor about 10 years ago: lots of yelling and hysterics (and I say this as true Pacino fan).
Teddy owned that guy, it's always a pleasurre to watch Teddy when he's passionate about something.
His fireman speech to Bradly in the fight Brandon Rios after the 7th round is just awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq2figwIX9s

Angliru said:
movingtarget said:
jmdirt said:

It's stupid and most people just tune out anyway. He's even worse when someone disagrees with him.

Whoa! Didn’t see this coming—P4P king Andre Ward is retiring:

“I want to be clear – I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there,” the statement titled “Mission Accomplished” said. “If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/pound-pound-boxing-king-andre-ward-announces-retirement-161209592.html

Boxers frequently “retire”, only to return after some time off (Mayweather and Pacquiao, e.g.), and it’s possible Ward will do that; he’s 33, probably close to his physical peak, and could look forward to at least several more years as an elite boxer. OTOH, this is a good time to go. He’s 32-0, with probably his most defining two fights his most recent ones, the wins over Kovalev. He certainly has nothing left to prove, and it appears the only challenges left for him would be to move up in weight. He did speculate about fighting heavyweight, but there are many in that division he couldn’t beat. Also, of course, the sooner a boxer retires, the better his future health prospects are.

Re:

Merckx index said:

“I want to be clear – I am leaving because my body can no longer put up with the rigors of the sport and therefore my desire to fight is no longer there,” the statement titled “Mission Accomplished” said. “If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/pound-pound-boxing-king-andre-ward-announces-retirement-161209592.html

Boxers frequently “retire”, only to return after some time off (Mayweather and Pacquiao, e.g.), and it’s possible Ward will do that; he’s 33, probably close to his physical peak, and could look forward to at least several more years as an elite boxer. OTOH, this is a good time to go. He’s 32-0, with probably his most defining two fights his most recent ones, the wins over Kovalev. He certainly has nothing left to prove, and it appears the only challenges left for him would be to move up in weight. He did speculate about fighting heavyweight, but there are many in that division he couldn’t beat. Also, of course, the sooner a boxer retires, the better his future health prospects are.

Good decision. He should have some money and the family is on his mind not to mention his health.

Re:

Merckx index said:

Hopefully leaving now will be good for his brain health.

Angliru said:
Dazed and Confused said:
A KO tribute featuring Pipino:

https://youtu.be/8YKOmZ1q_Lo

Being a Detroiter, I remember Cuevas as being "The Hitman", Thommie Hearns' first big win, in a stunning second round knockout. Cuevas was a tough little fighter. That to was one of the golden ages of the welterweight division with many good fighters brawling it out during that era.

Yes and that welterweight division turned into a great middleweight division as they got older.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yesterday we saw a wonderful performance by Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux, he was the bigger, younger man, but in the end it wasn't his size, he was just too fast and his footwork was just better. I won't say that Rigondeaux quit, his injury was probably the deciding factor, but I he was loosing the fight, he was gassed, outclassed and probably getting stopped at some point.
The fight could be seen as a changing of the guards, the (nowadays) declining Cuban amateur boxing system was beaten by the Ukrainian.
For me the Ukrainian amateur system is probably near the same level as the japanese (in the lower weight classes) when it comes to producing guys who are ready to fight strong pros from the start, they don't develope point fighters who are only good at getting amateur medals, they just try to train great fighters.

I thought Pacquiao was done--he is done, if you know what I mean--but he just announced a fight in July with Lucas Matthysse:

https://sports.yahoo.com/manny-pacquiao-says-hes-not-done-boxing-yet-addresses-freddie-roach-situation-215103970.html

I really don't understand why he's prolonging a career clearly well into decline. He has nothing left to prove in the ring, and has a full-time career as a Senator now. The biggest news, though, is that he and long-time trainer Freddie Roach may be done. Pacquiao said no decision has been made about who his trainer for this fight will be, but the fact that there's even a question about Roach is big news. It doesn't help that Roach claims he was never paid for Manny's last fight.

In other boxing news, Canelo Alvarez was suspended six months for clenbuterol. This is Clinic material, so all I'll say is that it's plausible he ingested tainted meat, given he is Mexican, but by this time all athletes should be aware of the risk and take precautions. It was announced previously that his rematch with GGG was thus cancelled, and Golovkin is fighting someone else. GGG may fare worse as a result of this than Alvarez. He arguably should have been given the decision in their previous fight, but at least by winning this rematch, he could have made amends. Now any possible rematch could not take place until near the end of the year, and at his age, GGG really can't afford delays.

TRENDING THREADS