• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boxing

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Problem is, the punch was legal. But yes, it was a total cheap shot. Agree with all else you say.

Best part was after the fight when Mayweather showed his lack of class while being a total punk and told Larry Merchant he wouldn't talk to him and said HBO should fire him, to which the 80 year old Merchant replied "If I was 50 years younger I'd kick your ass."

For those not in the know, Merchant has been covering boxing for a half-century going back to the Ali-Liston fight. HBO had to convince Merchant to not retire a few years ago, I hope they give him an extension for life.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
felix-poster.png

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
scotsman ricky burns v aussie(I think :S) katsidis, I think this has great potential burns was a world champion at the smaller weight and he moved up he is not bad and katsidis is very tough.... Katsidis might just knock him out quickly though

Smoking Joe, now there’s a guy who did pretty well against mostly larger opponents. But it seems to me size discrepancies are a problem in the HW division. There has been talk of having a super-heavyweight division, to separate guys like the Klitschkos from some smaller heavyweights. Their advantage in height, reach and weight vs. some of their opponents is proportionally about the same as a super middleweight (168) would have over a super lightweight (140). Manny Pacquiao destroys everyone he fights in the 140s, but even he would be seriously overmatched against the better super-middleweights. He won’t even fight Sergio Martinez, who competes at either 160 or 154, and who would probably have a 20-25 lb advantage in the ring. Neither will Floyd Mayweather, who has fought at 154, and whose size disadvantage vs. Martinez would be no greater than that Pacquiao has faced in opponents like Cotto and Margarito. Yet for some strange reason it’s thought that a guy weighing 250 should have no particular advantage over a guy weighing 200. Sure speed helps, and heavier guys tend to be slower, but if speed fully compensated for size, there wouldn’t need to be weight classes.

But size only matters a lot for the crème de la crème. Oscar de la Hoya, who is about 5’8” I think and never fought in a weight class over 160, once put on an exhibition with Shaquille O’Neal. You would think that even if Oscar were right next to Shaq he would have trouble reaching his chin, but I believe he won that exhibition easily. Of course O’Neal never had professional training or experience, but as an NBA player, he must be unusually quick for someone that size. Jose Canseco, about 6’5” and 250 I imagine, once fought a guy who was 5’9” but had some amateur experience, and Canseco was knocked out in less than two minutes.

Next up for Canseco: Lenny Dykstra. Hey, that fight might be more competitive than either Klitschko vs. any other HW. Too bad the bros won’t fight each other. Now that would be a very great fight, assuming they didn’t get all hugs and kisses a la Victor Ortiz.

Very sad about Joe. A great champion who only lost to two fighters (Ali and Foreman). Incredible stamina for being a pressure fighter. No one fights like he did anymore. They wait and pick their shots. Shame he was so bitter about his fights with Ali, though he was the one guy Ali pushed too far.

Here is an excellent documentary from 2009 on the three battles with Ali, culminating with the famous Thrilla in Manilla.

Most HW fighters that are huge like the Klitschko's tend to fight sluggish, slow and plodding, and have weak stamina. For reasons they don't, there's a thread in the Clinic right now. There is no way they will fight each other. If it did, it would be the most boring fight in history.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Great win by ricky burns, he was too good a boxer for katsidis, maybe the best win by a scottish guy I can remember, katsidis is a good fighter and is not finished yet so a great performance from the scotsman, he seems a very nice fellow aswell. I think Marquez is the actual wbo champion but I cant see him wanting to fight burns so I guess he will just give up the belt. Hopefully Burns won't lose it in his first defence, I dont really know who is at lightweight for him to fight, should be interesting though...

anyway as for klitschko I tihnk most of their figths are boring because the other guy doesnt want anything to do with them, well wlad is very cautious at all times but vitali will fight but a lot of their recent opponents just run from them all fight and the 2 brothers are not idiots they won't go crazy just for some peoples amusement and fair enough. They will fight anyone aswell(except each other obviously), they are very good champions in my opinion.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Sad about Frazier. Watched some documentary about how he helped Ali with license, but he is still very ****ed on Ali I think. Also sad to see financial status.

Boxing authorities call for female fighters to wear skirts for 2012 London, I say no, no, no! Bikinis rocks!

Edit: I just saw it, that is doc what I was talking Alpe, thanks!

I can't blame them for not fighting each other, or being more aggressive. It's up to their opponents to force them to change, and as you said, most opponents avoid them, insuring the fight is boring. And the onus is not on them to do anything other than win. As I said I think earlier in this thread, it's going to take someone with a lot of speed, or a pressure fighter with a chin to beat them. And there's no one out there like that. There hasn't been for years.

Larry Merchant was asked where the great American heavyweight fighters were, and he answered "playing linebacker in the NFL". So true.

Fox News ran this spot about Ali's reaction to the news of Frazier's illness before he died:

In a statement to CBS News, Ali said he was "pulling" for the 67-year-old Frazier, with whom he maintained a rivalry well beyond their boxing years.

"The news about Joe is hard to believe and even harder to accept. Joe is a fighter and a champion and I am praying he is fighting now," said Ali, 69.

"My family and I are keeping Joe and his family in our daily prayers. Joe has a lot of friends pulling for him, and I'm one of them."

I think Ali has a great deal of respect for his old rival.

You can read the entire report here: http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/story/muhammad-ali-praying-for-joe-frazier-110611

Tough characters like Frazier will be missed. Are missed.

edit: ooops, didn't see your post RamJam before posting this.

Very sad indeed. I remember him very well from my youth, when boxing was the 2nd biggest sport on the planet, and the HW division was stacked with some of the greatest fighters ever from any era. Ali, Foreman, Norton, and of course Frazier.

As far as I am concerned Joe is really the only person to truly beat Ali, in one of the few fights that lived up to it's hype, the Fight of the Century. Ali was still young enough (barely 29) and no one had beaten him, but a highly motivated Joe did on that night.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
RIP Joe.
What a fighter.
You beat and floored the biggest loudmouth in the world.

But that 'loudmouth' will forever remain "the people's champion" in most people's eyes, and will (imho) go down in history as the greatest fighter ever, and as the man who attracted more viewers to the sport than anyone else.

RIP Smokin' Joe.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
But that 'loudmouth' will forever remain "the people's champion" in most people's eyes, and will (imho) go down in history as the greatest fighter ever, and as the man who attracted more viewers to the sport than anyone else.

RIP Smokin' Joe.

Debatable whether he was the best, one of the best yes.

Larry Holmes was underestimated but what a fighter, Also the Cuban Teophileo Stephenson was apparently pretty special. Frazier probably got the better overall in the 3 fights against Ali even though the second was a debatable win for Ali so he must be up there.

Sonny Liston and George Foreman were my fave fighters from the Ali era, Liston was so menacing and technically brilliant, Foreman was just really big and tough and it didn't matter who he fought he would just try to knock them about and cause pain.. really tough and uncompromising man.

Anyone give Marquez a chance tonight? I think it could be closer than the odds suggest. The Heredia factor should help him with the weight.

A few moments either way, but I think it will go down to the judges again, to Pacquaio with a bit more between them than last time.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
In my opinion, although I am very bad at predicting things, marquez is in for a beating, pac man has been going from strength to strength and has really grown into the weight class he is so fast and powerfull I can see him knocking out marquez... If I remember right marquez was down three times in the first round agaisnt pacquaio in the fight they drew and when I saw marquez fight juan diaz in the early rounds he was taking a bit of a beating, he came back to win but I think he usually takes a few rounds to get going and he is getting over the hill too... So in my opinion pacquaio will catch him early and the power and speed of his punches will do great damage to marquez that he won't be able to properly recover from and then get stopped....

marquez will proabably win now :S

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
this is going to sound harsh but....

tyson fury looked overweight, far from technically sound, his jaw might be a problem. in short i don't think the klitschkos are going to be worried.

TRENDING THREADS