• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Boxing

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have some pennies on Marquez. Seemed worth the try.

Last I heard, you had to bet $100 to win $10 on Pac, so not much to lose betting on JMM. But really, those odds are fair. Even in his prime, and at a much lower weight, JMM was not as fast as Manny. Now he's older (at 38 he is at an age that is well past prime for most fighters, exhibit A, Moseley in Pac's last fight) and almost certainly slower, and has no idea how much harder Pac hits at welterweight.

A lot has been made about the fact that JMM is such a great counter-puncher. Manny has had problems with that kind of style in the past, which is why their previous two fights were so close. But Manny is not the fighter he was then. Look at the list of opponents he has dominated since his last fight with JMM. Except for the lightweight match against David Diaz, there is probably no one on that list JMM could handle.

This would have been a somewhat more competitive fight at 140, and might have been very interesting at 135, but JMM has not shown he can fight at welterweight. He looked totally lost against Floyd, and he passed up a chance to fight Amir Khan at 140, which could only mean he realized he couldn't handle Khan's speed and size. There are rumors he hasn't trained that hard, that he is only in this for the big paycheck.

I will be extremely surprised if it goes the distance. Manny is ****ed that JMM keeps claiming he won the two previous fights, and has not so subtly hinted that he won't go easy on JMM in later rounds, as he did with some of his previous opponents. The only way I see an upset is possible is if Manny, in his anxiety to score a fairly early KO, becomes overaggressive and runs into a perfect punch from JMM. You can never count out a possibility like that. There is no way JMM is going to win a decision, if he somehow lasts twelve rounds he will be begging for mercy. Much bigger fighters who went the distance or near distance with Manny did it only by running away most of the fight, except for Margarito, who got a broken eye socket for his bravado.

I keep thinking that all of Manny's other interests--politics, singing, acting--have to affect his training at some point, but they haven't yet. Think about this: since his last fight with JMM, Manny has fought a total of 60+ rounds. He has won virtually all of those rounds on all three scorecards. There is I think only one of all those rounds (the first against Cotto) in which all three judges gave the round to his opponent, and a handful of others in which one of the three judges scored it for the opponent.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
lancaster said:
this is going to sound harsh but....

tyson fury looked overweight, far from technically sound, his jaw might be a problem. in short i don't think the klitschkos are going to be worried.

in my opinion fury is a nice fellow but...................... he just isnt very good, he is competent but that is it... I watched his last few fights and a fat man who was alot shorter than him(chisora) hurt him bad... some guy called firtha also hurt him and today...... it was bad..... the guy was swining like a windmill and put fury on the floor and hurt him at the end of the 2nd round too, fury recovered and won, but all he is doing just now is beating up people a lot shorter than him and guys that aren't very good. He has a great chance to fight a klitschko because he is from britain and it is a big market but I dont think he could even win the european title, he jabs bad and is easy to hit and his chin is not great.. but he is on non ppv tv here so I like him :S

I'll be really surprised if Marquez wins, and not surprised if he gets knocked out. I think a Pacquio-Mayweather fight is inevitable for 2012. I also think Floyd would win a unanimous decision in such a fight.

From what I have seen, Tyson Fury is just another really big guy with modest skills at best. He has a long way to go to challenge for the title.

As to the old guys, Ali was maybe the best HW ever. But I think Joe Louis was more complete, and the best. Arguments can be made for others. The best fighter ever, at any weight, was Sugar Ray Robinson. But Ali was bigger than boxing, and bigger than sports, and he forever changed the sport.

Larry Holmes was indeed underrated. In his prime he was one of the best HWs ever. Teofilo Stephenson was the best amateur HW ever, but only that. No one knows what would have happened had he turned pro. He probably would have been very good. But I doubt better than Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton or Holmes, and maybe not better than Lyle, Shavers, Young, or some of the other fighters he would have faced. That's how stacked the HW division was during the 70s.

Shows how much I know about boxing. Juan, usted es il hombre! He is the first guy to fight Manny more or less evenly since Pac went up in weight. I don't think it's all because of his counter-punching style and ring savvy, though they were very evident. I think Manny is losing it a little, he looked very mortal in this fight. Never really got anything very serious going. Maybe his extracurricular activities are finally catching up to him, or maybe he's feeling the effect of age.

Poor Juan, another close but no cigar. He won more rounds, by far, in this fight, than all of Manny's seven previous opponents combined. I kind of hoped he would win, but the upside is that the Pac-Mayweather fight is now more likely. Floyd must have looked at this and thought, no way I can't destroy Pacman.

How the judge gave it to Pacquiao by four I don't know.

Hint: the Pac/May fight is worth maybe $200 million. Deja vu here. Pac's last close fight was against Marquez in 2008. He won by a single point in a split decision. Take away that one point, and:

a) the fight is a draw
b) Marquez retains his 130 lb belt
c) no Pac-Diaz fight for the lightweight belt
d) no Pac-de la Hoya fight

The rest is (not) history. That one point in 2008 has been worth tens of millions to Pacquiao. If he had not won that fight, it's dubious he would ever have moved up to welterweight.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Very tight fight, all rounds were something around 10-9 either way.

Pacquiao - wearing an "Undisputed champion" t-shirt - said: "Clearly I won the fight."

Will he fight Marquez again? "I'm a fighter. It is my job to fight."

What do you have to say to Floyd Mayweather? "Let's get it on."
Now that's a match I would truly dislike.

Big question is- is Mayweather at his peak condition that saw him destroy Hatton? Pacquiao is a completely different proposition.

I don't follow boxing much anymore. I don't think that date will happen. That was just Floyd saying it. But I think the money is obviously there, neither guy is getting younger, and there's no one left for either to fight. It's just inevitable. Also, Bob Arum is about to retire, and wants to make this fight his big exit. If anyone can do it, it's him.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Marquez will probably need to knock him out to get a draw if they ever fight again. the whole thing is becoming a joke and i've pretty much lost interest in that weight division now.

Tyson Fury though is entertaining in the heavyweights, has some power and some reasonable boxing skills but he looked complacent at the weekend against that Canadian human windmill, still he managed to get the job done.

Unforgivable to walk onto that haymaker but he recovered quite well but needs to work on a jab and his defence - he looks good when he opens up with combinations.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok is anyone watching these it is going to start at 22.00 GMT.
This time they find 39 yo French Jean-Marc Mormeck guy for Vladimir.
I hope this young rising star would defeat that Vladimir I am so technique kool guy:eek:

Edit: Fight is off till March 3
Damn tv schedule

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Does anybody still think Paquio has a chance against Mayweather?

I maintain Mayweather will kick that guys a$$s every time and have had that opinion for several years, though I dont reckon this fight will never happen because it will be so one sided and certain people realise that now..

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
yes I think pac man has a chance v floyd, although I would bet on mayweather, but recently mayweather has been getting hit early on, mosley nearly finished him the mexican american fellow als made him uncomfortable, it could be floyd is slowing down now, I tihnk pacquaio is a lot faster and stronger than the two guys mentioned and in my opinion he has a real chance of damaging mayweather early on and I tihnk pacquaio could finish it unlike mosley.. although i would say it is 70/30 in mayweathers favour for the win.

Alpe d'Huez said:
I'll be really surprised if Marquez wins, and not surprised if he gets knocked out. I think a Pacquio-Mayweather fight is inevitable for 2012. I also think Floyd would win a unanimous decision in such a fight.

From what I have seen, Tyson Fury is just another really big guy with modest skills at best. He has a long way to go to challenge for the title.

As to the old guys, Ali was maybe the best HW ever. But I think Joe Louis was more complete, and the best. Arguments can be made for others. The best fighter ever, at any weight, was Sugar Ray Robinson. But Ali was bigger than boxing, and bigger than sports, and he forever changed the sport.

Larry Holmes was indeed underrated. In his prime he was one of the best HWs ever. Teofilo Stephenson was the best amateur HW ever, but only that. No one knows what would have happened had he turned pro. He probably would have been very good. But I doubt better than Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton or Holmes, and maybe not better than Lyle, Shavers, Young, or some of the other fighters he would have faced. That's how stacked the HW division was during the 70s.

Let's not forget that Ali lost several years of competition in his prime when he refused to enter the draft and was was thus not allowed to fight.

TRENDING THREADS