• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bradley Wiggins Guardian Blog

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
ferryman said:
He won't leave a massive void at the Tour in terms of the racing.

Aye right Brad. The void between him and AC would have been about half a Klik on La Toussuire alone. What a T*t.

Wiggins is going to make up for Contador's absence by animating the racing in the mountains with his attacking style.:rolleyes:

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Because that's not what he's actually saying.

He's just saying that the racing will just be just as good without him (noting that it didn't really suffer from his underperformance in 2011) and that the Tour makes the stars, not vice versa.

His presence paralyzed the Schlecks in Pyrenees. I think that had Contador had the legs to ride at his best, the Tour would've been even more exciting.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
biopass said:
Which is exactly how i felt when i saw Contador wheelsucking Nibali all the way up the Zoncolan and then rode away as soon as the gradient went lower.

Congrats, you've just earned entry onto my ignore list. Great job.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
biopass said:
Which is exactly how i felt when i saw Contador wheelsucking Nibali all the way up the Zoncolan and then rode away as soon as the gradient went lower.

Eh? He was in the pink, and then left Nibali when the guy ran out of gas. It worked, didn't it?

gooner said:
Is that a joke?

The form that Contador was in that Giro there isnt a rider in the world would of touched him and i am including Armstrong at his best in his Tour wins. As for Wiggins i would like to see what he would of done in last years Tour if he was coming off such a tough Giro. The same applies to the Schlecks and Evans. They would of done nothing whatsoever. Contador finishing 5th was a great achievement after being held up in the first stage, his team being poor in the TTT, being too fatigued after a brutal Giro and also a having a problem with his knee.

I wonder where the Schlecks, Evans and Wiggins would finish if all those issues were stacked against them.

most likely they would be coming to the tour after an extremely hard giro and without a giro win :p

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
burning said:
Biopass you really hate Contador with passion, dont you?
Atleast come with sensible arguments

I dont hate him. I just see a man without any integrity. For me, that's the lowest place a man can get.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Caruut said:
Eh? He was in the pink, and then left Nibali when the guy ran out of gas. It worked, didn't it?

It's not a matter if it worked or not. It's a matter of priciples. If you're classy and have sportsmanship, then you never mock your opponents, even if the score is 7-1.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
biopass said:
It's not a matter if it worked or not. It's a matter of priciples. If you're classy and have sportsmanship, then you never mock your opponents, even if the score is 7-1.

Sorry, how is that mocking Nibali? Nibali clearly pushed too hard, he's going so slowly when Contador attacks. Much of the time, cycling with "honour" is just a way of insisting that someone ride in a way that suits your rider. You only have to read a few of my posts on this forum to know that I'm not AC's biggest fan, but to attack him for riding that in that way is crazy. Ultimately, if Nibali can't drop him on a 20% gradient, he doesn't deserve to drop him.

What about stage 9 on Etna, where Rujano followed Contador for miles and miles, yet was unable to land a hit on him at any point. If Rujano had pipped him to the post, you'd praise his tactics. As it is, that stage, one of my favourites ever, now has a different result.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
biopass said:

Geez, I thought the idea behind sports was to compete and attempt to win. This type of situation is so subjective in that Nibali could have acted differently. For instance, ride harder and faster. Want to beat me, then pedal harder my friend. Unsportmanslike conduct would be talking down to your opponents or acting in a way that is outside the realm of what the sport is about. Nibali could have dropped back at any moment and not continued to pursue things as he did. I hate this crap about I should let you win sometimes or you deserved to win. The deserving winner is the first one across the finish line.

Opponents have come back from larger deficits than being down 7-1.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
anyone else fear brad might go the full djokovic this year?

2012 is a big one for british athletes, a tour win and a gold medal would lock him in for sportsman of the year.

Wiggins says he's happy to be up there with Tom Simpson. Why does he want to be 'up there' with such a doper? What did Simpson do that was so heroic? Two issues here. i am sick to death of Simpson being eulogised as this kind of legendary figure. He doped himself to be gills and died. It's sad but not heroic. Secondly, why does Wiggins seem to admire dopers so much?

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Digger said:
Wiggins says he's happy to be up there with Tom Simpson. Why does he want to be 'up there' with such a doper? What did Simpson do that was so heroic? Two issues here. i am sick to death of Simpson being eulogised as this kind of legendary figure. He doped himself to be gills and died. It's sad but not heroic. Secondly, why does Wiggins seem to admire dopers so much?

Do you really believe that Tommy Simpson was racing against clean competition? It's not an excuse, but it's pretty hard to go back in history and find a clean champion, so who else are current cyclists supposed to idolise, sporting-wise?

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Digger said:

Maybe Wiggins has a shred of human decency in him, and chooses to act tastefull when someone asks him about a dead person.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Digger said:

There's a personal link there. Simpson's daughter used to share a house with Wiggins's father in Belgium and she's known Wiggins Jnr since he was born.

Caruut said:
Do you really believe that Tommy Simpson was racing against clean competition? It's not an excuse, but it's pretty hard to go back in history and find a clean champion, so who else are current cyclists supposed to idolise, sporting-wise?

Well maybe he should just concentrate on himself rather than putting known dopers up on this pedestal.

Mambo95 said:
There's a personal link there. Simpson's daughter used to share a house with Wiggins's father in Belgium and she's known Wiggins Jnr since he was born.

Bradley has some extremely hypcritical views on people who dope. He has villifed Landis, yet continues to rest at the altar of certain others. This is cowardice.

Oy maybe we should all just pretend that Simpson didn't dope with copious amounts, and rewrite history.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts