• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bradley Wiggins Vs Fabian Cancellera

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Bardamu said:
Wiggins was boring as hell as a road cyclist. Great palmares though, but he will not be remembered for the way he won races. Spartacus on the other hand has spectacular victories and spectacular racing all together + an amazing palmares.

Cance palmares edged Wiggins. Most cycling lovers voted Cance over Wiggins. But Wiggins is the person to be remembered and discussed more in the future.

Re: Re:

toolittle said:
Bardamu said:
Wiggins was boring as hell as a road cyclist. Great palmares though, but he will not be remembered for the way he won races. Spartacus on the other hand has spectacular victories and spectacular racing all together + an amazing palmares.

Cance palmares edged Wiggins. Most cycling lovers voted Cance over Wiggins. But Wiggins is the person to be remembered and discussed more in the future.
Don't think Wiggo will be remembered outside of England.

Bardamu said:
toolittle said:
Bardamu said:

1. That doesn't really contradict toolittle's point, but I doubt it because
2. Any kid interested in cycling and thus the Tour will read Wiggins in the list of winners.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

TMP402 said:
Bardamu said:
toolittle said:
Bardamu said:

2. Any kid interested in cycling and thus the Tour will read Wiggins in the list of winners.

He'll be remembered alongside Oscar Pereiro then.

El Pistolero said:
TMP402 said:
Bardamu said:
toolittle said:
Bardamu said:

He'll be remembered alongside Oscar Pereiro then.

featured.jpg

Look back history, people normally recall best of a displine. Or winners of biggest race.
Tour De France winner, 1st British, will be recalled every year.
Hour record, I won't surprise if Wiggins pass away and his record still WR.
Wiggins is also considered as best UK sportsman and olympican.

Only Boonen will be considered as king of cobbled stone although Cance is great.
Then, Cance is a great TTist. But TT population is similar to track.
Cance is not best sportsman in Swiss. Nor olympican.

toolittle said:
Look back history, people normally recall best of a displine. Or winners of biggest race.

Only Boonen will be considered as king of cobbled stone although Cance is great.

Who is fastest person in the world?
Most of people will say, Usain Bolt
Most of people will say, Michael Phelps or 100m record holder, Eamon Sullivan if for swimming.
Then, who is fastest cyclist?
Not Eddy, Not cavendish. It will be Bradley wiggins or some will mention Chris boardman..
Museum, Guinness World Records, TV Commentator, Documentary will say... It is Bradley Wiggins who made an edurance sports' record under controlled envirnoment and unify equipment.

toolittle said:

Britain, Britain, Britain
Do you know who was the first Dutch who won the tour de france? Do you know who is considered as the best dutch sportsman? Do you know who is the best dutch olympican? I have no idea.
Yeah, everyone in the UK will remember Wiggins but internationally that doesn't mean anything.

toolittle said:
toolittle said:

Most of people will say, Michael Phelps or 100m record holder, Eamon Sullivan if for swimming.
Not Eddy, Not cavendish. It will be Bradley wiggins or some will mention Chris boardman..
Museum, Guinness World Records, TV Commentator, Documentary will say... It is Bradley Wiggins who made an edurance sports' record under controlled envirnoment and unify equipment.

What??? By fastest I assume you mean best, and Wiggins and Boardman will never, I repeat never be mentioned in the same breath as Merckx, Coppi, Bartali, Hinault, Poulidor, De Vlaeminck or the rest. Cancellara counts as a great of the sport. Wiggins, while very good, doesn't. Boardman certainly doesn't. I can't imagine anyone saying that, ever.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

toolittle said:
toolittle said:

You clearly don't know much about cycling, do you?! Wiggins is nowhere near Cancellara in terms of road cycling, and track cycling is discussed on other threads and forums. And mentioning Chris Boardman??? You could mention him with the likes of Bert Grabsch and Laszlo Bodrogi if you ask me...
Although when I saw that you're responding to your own post, things become much clearer :D

There is a certain amount of truth in the statement that Wiggins will be remembered a bit more internationally as a result of becoming the first British Tour winner.

For example, most people on this forum would know of Daniel Teklehaimanot, as a result of him being the first Eritrean cyclist to achieve anything in pro cycling. But how many people of similar calibre are anywhere near as famous or memorable?

Brullnux said:
toolittle said:
toolittle said:

What??? By fastest I assume you mean best, and Wiggins and Boardman will never, I repeat never be mentioned in the same breath as Merckx, Coppi, Bartali, Hinault, Poulidor, De Vlaeminck or the rest. Cancellara counts as a great of the sport. Wiggins, while very good, doesn't. Boardman certainly doesn't. I can't imagine anyone saying that, ever.

I think 99% of person here voted Cancellera stronger than Wiggins.

This is a discussion of "Who will be mentioned or remembered"....
Johan Museeuw is a hero and had retired not too long ago.
Most of youngsters never heard about him.

I am in Asia. Many occassion that TV boardcast talked about fastest cyclist, Chris Boardman made fastest hour record. Wiggins is the fastest under unity equippment and standard.

Mr.White said:
toolittle said:
toolittle said:

You clearly don't know much about cycling, do you?! Wiggins is nowhere near Cancellara in terms of road cycling, and track cycling is discussed on other threads and forums. And mentioning Chris Boardman??? You could mention him with the likes of Bert Grabsch and Laszlo Bodrogi if you ask me...
Although when I saw that you're responding to your own post, things become much clearer :D

Yes, I know little about cycling.