• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brandon McNulty is the Next Great American Hope Thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Biggest stage race win of his career.

I didn't see him on the list of UAE riders for any of the GTs this season. That would be a shame. Hope he at least gets ride the Vuelta.

Otherwise it is one week stage races and the Olympic TT.
Normally he would ride the Vuelta for a stage win or possible classification. but this year his plan was to compete a lot stage races.

Agree. But we haven't seen UAE's A team jet.

We're even going to see Vingegaard weeks before Pogacar.
Pogacar is going to the Giro, that means he can not have another form peak before the one leading to the Giro since there is not enough time to rest and recover in between. Guys that go to the Tour can get a first peak in spring, rest up and peak for the Tour.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
I don't think he's consistent enough to ever be top tier in WT stage races. He has the occasional monster performance, even in the high mountains, but he has never done it over one week (let alone three).
Great for hilly one day races, great as a stage hunter in GTs if given the chance, might even win a race like Tirreno - Adriatico. But harder one week stage races or Grand Tours would require a significant improvement.

I don't think he's consistent enough to ever be top tier in WT stage races. He has the occasional monster performance, even in the high mountains, but he has never done it over one week (let alone three).
Great for hilly one day races, great as a stage hunter in GTs if given the chance, might even win a race like Tirreno - Adriatico. But harder one week stage races or Grand Tours would require a significant improvement.
I think he's got a fabulous engine, killer ITT skills and has actually been improving slowly each year. But I don't know what it would take to make that breakthrough to winning a major stage race. He might just be too heavy; he's quite tall, and not rail thin, so that making an effort on a big climb or ITT really drains him. I was surprised he lost time today in the UAE Tour, but when AG2R went he could just barely hold on to the end of the first chase group.

He seems pretty happy with his current role at UAE, supporting team leaders in grand tours and getting the occasional opportunity to go for stage wins and get in the mix with one-day races.
Much better team structure and management on UAE than Bora or Visma, they spread it around and just like the UAE tour don't let drama flare up about ambiguity of who is the leader.. They have many race horses in the stable. A solid finish from McNulty gets him on the podium and standing next to Jay Vine is an obvious failure because UAE is only 2 out of three!! But they are showing great before February is even over!! And because I am a fan boy determined Del Toro getting a win and a fourth against the best says over and over that UAE is a great team..

I think he's got a fabulous engine, killer ITT skills and has actually been improving slowly each year. But I don't know what it would take to make that breakthrough to winning a major stage race. He might just be too heavy; he's quite tall, and not rail thin, so that making an effort on a big climb or ITT really drains him. I was surprised he lost time today in the UAE Tour, but when AG2R went he could just barely hold on to the end of the first chase group.
He said he was sick at the end of UAE Tour.

Still in 3rd right now at Paris-Nice, will be interesting to see how he finishes.