• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brandon McNulty is the Next Great American Hope Thread

Junior World TT champion
Finished 7th last year in ToC at age 20.

Just got his first pro win today. 21 years old. Tomorrow is a big test in the Giro Sicilia, he leads the race by about a minute over the other climbers, will he hang on over 20km ascent of Etna?

Will he be the next American to compete for GC in the the GTs?

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Gutsy ride today. He said he can ride defensively tomorrow since he got a minute, but that is not his style and we may be surprised tomorrow.

I’m looking forward to the Tour of Turkey to see how he does against much better field and how he will do against the new Merckx aka Remco.

I hope he doesn't choose a team like Sky, Trek or EF education. A team like Lotto-Soudal, Jumbo-Visma (two American climbers already), Bora or Sunweb would be perfect. It's good for American riders to get out of that American comfort zone and fully experience European cycling.

Think McNulty could end up a Jungels type rider - Good in medium mountains, TT is strong and seems to have a big engine - Serious about his career and he avoids an American team - You have to embrace Europe to reach your true potential.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Congrats on the first pro GC win!

Nicely defended lead by the team and great ride up the Etna.

I was looking forward to the Tour of Turkey but apparently, he will do a race in Portugal and Fleche Wallonne.

Congrats young man! Good luck today!

RE: Team moving forward...JV is already talking to him. I agree that he might not develop well with EFdale. He needs to go to a team with an established pack to help him progress. ;) I like Cine's idea too, Bora would be good.

EDIT: he defended his lead, even attacked on Mt.E, and won the GC! CONGRATS! #Big step!

Re:

yaco said:
Think McNulty could end up a Jungels type rider - Good in medium mountains, TT is strong and seems to have a big engine - Serious about his career and he avoids an American team - You have to embrace Europe to reach your true potential.
Apparently UAE already wanted to sign him for this season, but he didn't feel ready to go to a wt team.
They'll probably try again for the 2020 season, with him, pogi, gaviria and philipsen the team would have a strong core for the coming years.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

SafeBet said:
He lost some time in what looked like an easy stage in Portugal, does anybody know if he had a mechanical in the final?

As per his team twitter: "McNulty was unable to start due to illness"

The weather in Sicilia was nasty, so no surprise he got ill.

TRENDING THREADS