• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brandon McNulty is the Next Great American Hope Thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With Pogacar and Almeida he will probably have to leave UAE to get a shot to ride for GC in a grand tour. Obviously things change, but personally, I very much enjoy watching him stage hunt, and attack from distance in hilly one day races. He, Powless, Simmons, Jorgensen and Sheffield could make for a fantastic national team on a hilly WC course.

Why him need leave? He got this year a lot of chances. Was in algarve captain and here to. But had unluck. He have contract 2024 he is happy in uae and take victorie's

Why him need leave? He got this year a lot of chances. Was in algarve captain and here to. But had unluck. He have contract 2024 he is happy in uae and take victorie's
You are correct. I simply meant to say if he wanted a chance to lead in a grand tour, he might have to leave. I don’t see UAE not sending Pogacar or Almeida to a GT in the near future unless there are injury problems- which is always a possibility.

in my opinion, Mcnulty can be sent to the Giro along with an Almeida. you never know what can happen during a grand tour. then it is better to have another protected rider. is Mcnulty's goal to go for grand tours? or does he have more satisfaction of being the leader in rounds of 1 week, 1 day races and chasing stage victories in, for example, a Giro or Vuelta. I think he can easily win a stage in every Grand Tour than he will finish top 5 in the standings in every Grand tour.

Brandon was a controlled nuke detonation, today. Insane. The only problem for UAE today (stage 17) was that the skinny dude in the yellow jersey was a berserker that couldn't be dropped. Otherwise, Brandon would have led Tadej up the final climb Rohan-Dennis-Giro-style for not just the win but a massive time gain.

McNulty's best chance to win a Grand Tour is to get a time machine and travel to like 1993.

He's never going to win a Tour with his climbing level but I do feel bad for him because he's exactly the kind of skillset which used to win GTs.

I have no idea how anyone can be confident that he will never win a GT because his climbing level is too low on a day when he was at worst the the third strongest climber in a major Tour de France mountain stage. He pulled on the front for endless km while dropping and putting minutes into almost every GC rider in the race, including GT winners.

I have no idea how anyone can be confident that he will never win a GT because his climbing level is too low on a day when he was at worst the the third strongest climber in a major Tour de France mountain stage. He pulled on the front for endless km while dropping and putting minutes into almost every GC rider in the race, including GT winners.
It depends a little bit on the W/kg for today for me, you can have a lot of benefit on one day just because you've taken it easier for the first 2 weeks.

Reactions: Sandisfan

He hasn't shown the consistency necessary to really win, though. Today's stage really suited him well too, he's someone with good TT legs that's great at relatively steady climbs. But I think he needs more punch on the steeps and above all, the general level to not have days where he totally cracks to really be a GC guy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS