• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brandon McNulty is the Next Great American Hope Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So far for the Tour they have:

Pogi
Majka
Yates
Wellens
Bjerg
Bennett
Soler

Extra spot for a rouleur like Trentin, another mountain domestique coming from the Giro (Vine hasn't raced much this year and I think he can sustain the double targeting specific stages in Thr Tour or maybe Formolo who did the two races in '21) or a slovenian like Polanc?

I don't see McNulty going to the Tour based solely on the amount of race days he has so far. If he finishes the Giro he will have 50 race days.

Pogi
Majka
Yates
Wellens
Bjerg
Bennett
Soler

Extra spot for a rouleur like Trentin, another mountain domestique coming from the Giro (Vine hasn't raced much this year and I think he can sustain the double targeting specific stages in Thr Tour or maybe Formolo who did the two races in '21) or a slovenian like Polanc?

I don't see McNulty going to the Tour based solely on the amount of race days he has so far. If he finishes the Giro he will have 50 race days.
I doubt it as well, but to be honest, i'd rather have McNulty than Bennett. The latter's top climbing days seem to have stopped the day he left Jumbo. And while McNulty isn't the top climber either, to me he is the more versatile rider who can really set a high pace that puts a lot of folks in difficulty. Just not in the absolute final of a mountain stage. But with Majka and Yates there, i have to wonder, what use will Bennett be? If they brought him to be 3rd helper or for hilly / medium mountain stages, then i would definitely have preferred McNulty.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I doubt it as well, but to be honest, i'd rather have McNulty than Bennett. The latter's top climbing days seem to have stopped the day he left Jumbo. And while McNulty isn't the top climber either, to me he is the more versatile rider who can really set a high pace that puts a lot of folks in difficulty. Just not in the absolute final of a mountain stage. But with Majka and Yates there, i have to wonder, what use will Bennett be? If they brought him to be 3rd helper or for hilly / medium mountain stages, then i would definitely have preferred McNulty.
I agree and wondered why he was part of the Giro squad unless UAE decided it was time to reward him for his aforementioned Tour labor. Excluding him from the Tour team seems like a risk considering the competition Tadej will face.

That’s why I referred to him as the love child of TJVG and Bobby Julich in Another thread. He’s got the talent, but just doesn’t seem to have the consistency over 3 weeks to compete for a GT.
Those guys kinda did that at least one time. Brandon has that potential as well IMO, so I think your comparison is spot on. TJ was definitely a bigger star though, mainly due to him getting a breakthrough early on.

Reactions: perico

Pogi
Majka
Yates
Wellens
Bjerg
Bennett
Soler

He may not finish the Giro. Could be the training, early exit and then addition to the Tour squad.

Reactions: jmdirt
I may be confusing the rider, but someone, I thought McNulty had a few early jumps in races this season and experienced cramps and got to the finish, but couldn't finish off the breakaway. I don't put lots of weight value on all these early races w huge bunch together most of the time, minimum climbing
There was a hint in the last post before you posted that it was indeed McNulty.

TRENDING THREADS