• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Breukink dismissed Rabobank

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
So now this has it's own thread? :D others and myself were posting about the structural change in Rabo in the general news thread. Maybe Van Houwelingen is the next one to be sacked? That is according to Danny Nelissen's twitter. Either he knows something we don't or it's just wishful thinking.

Now Joop Alberda is being named as the possible replacement for Breukink.

He was the volleyball coach of the Dutch team that won gold at the 1996 Olympics. He also previously worked for Cervelo Test Team.

Looks like they are trying to drastically renew & start with fresh ideas.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Now Joop Alberda is being named as the possible replacement for Breukink.

He was the volleyball coach of the Dutch team that won gold at the 1996 Olympics. He also previously worked for Cervelo Test Team.

Looks like they are trying to drastically renew & start with fresh ideas.
You mean by some guy on the prikbord?

Ever since watching a documentary on the 1996 volleyball team I can't take Alberda seriously anymore.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
The whole team needs a revamp. So many young talented riders who falter when it matters - Gesink, Mollema, Kruiswijk, etc. They need to be hardened up and turned into proper GC contenders.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't trust Blijlevens, but that's clinic material. (He was once implicated by a former team member during Mart Smeets' program "de avondetappe". (Blijlevens himself goes with the "I've never been caught line", without denying anything.))

Can't say I'm surprised, as I knew about this for some weeks now (posted it during the vuelta too) ;)

This change was in due time, perhaps some of the talents on Rabo finally will be able to live up to their talent! Perhaps we'll even have to stop listening to the constant (and understandable) whining about Rabo/Breukink from the Dutch mafia as well :D

maltiv said:
Can't say I'm surprised, as I knew about this for some weeks now (posted it during the vuelta too) ;)

This change was in due time, perhaps some of the talents on Rabo finally will be able to live up to their talent! Perhaps we'll even have to stop listening to the constant (and understandable) whining about Rabo/Breukink from the Dutch mafia as well :D
A few weeks ago the only thing that was known was Merijn Zeeman coming. The rest of this is all recent, not even the Rabobank riders knew, so Nordhaug sure didn't.

JRanton said:
I've read on twitter that along with the job changes Rabo are going to bring in more sports scientists and offer more support to their riders. Copying Sky's approach then.

According to the Rabosport.com website:
The knowledge will not only come from within the team but we will also work a lot with external advisors. Knebel: “We are clearly looking for cooperation like for example with the KNWU regarding talent development. Furthermore we will use the available sports knowhow in the Netherlands from, for example, the Cruyff University, the universities of Maastricht and Amsterdam and the technical universities in Eindhoven and Delft. But we will also reach out and connect with other sport disciplines. This will lead to a whole new and different way of thinking than which we are used to now. Every position within the team will be involved in this and it requires maximum dedication from all involved. This demands a lot from all the people in the team.”

TRENDING THREADS