• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brian Cookson article in Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...estore-faith-in-cycling-as-UCI-president.html

A consistent failure to deal truly with the issue of doping allied to a lack of transparency and process has let down the sport and the millions who follow our events.

This failure at the top reached new depths last week when the presidential election was plunged into crisis with the news from UCI headquarters that the incumbent president, Pat McQuaid, had been mysteriously nominated by two additional national federations even though the deadline for such matters had closed on June 30.

It is symbolic of the problem that the UCI management committee, who have to approve the UCI’s budget, are not permitted to know how much the president is paid or what other benefits he receives.

Indeed, when I was sent an email from the UCI office last month asking me to vote on the approval of next year’s budget, I asked the question, and was told that the salary and benefits issue was none of my business.

How is the UCI's budget "none of the business" of the committee that runs the UCI?

Brian should get his own house in order before criticising others.

There's plenty wrong at British Cycling. From their support of a pro team to their failures over the years to sort out domestic doping.

There are plenty of 'protected' riders in the UK and we all know that positive tests are bad press.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
It wouldn't suprise me if the UCI committee were not in the 'know' as McQuaid and Hein run the UCI like their own personal slush fund.

But I dont think Cookson is gonna revolutionise the UCI, he'll just be smarter than McQuaid has been.

Cookson is the lesser of 2 evils.

Benotti69 said:
It wouldn't suprise me if the UCI committee were not in the 'know' as McQuaid and Hein run the UCI like their own personal slush fund.

But I dont think Cookson is gonna revolutionise the UCI, he'll just be smarter than McQuaid has been.

Cookson is the lesser of 2 evils.

It's McQuaids lack of smarts that at least lets us keep track of what the mopron is doing. A smart Cookson with the help of Brailsford could be the start of a whole different evil empire.

Sometimes it's better the devil you know. As Kylie once said.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Kylie. That well know social commentator.

Frabkly laughable to condemn Cookson before he's fired a shot in anger, making a broad statement about his association with a pro team and a tolerance of doping, a mention of 'protected riders' and absoluely zero details to back any of it up.

Usual shallow theorising. Like the comment I read on Twitter which started 'some say the clinic got too close to the truth and got shut down by a pro team'. Oh how we laughed

JimmyFingers said:

Frabkly laughable to condemn Cookson before he's fired a shot in anger, making a broad statement about his association with a pro team and a tolerance of doping, a mention of 'protected riders' and absoluely zero details to back any of it up.

Usual shallow theorising. Like the comment I read on Twitter which started 'some say the clinic got too close to the truth and got shut down by a pro team'. Oh how we laughed

Yay Jimmy!

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
It's pretty common knowledge on the UK scene about riders who 'take breaks' - teams that suddenly come into form despite doing nothing for years.

There's knowing it and proving it though.

If its common knowledge in your local scene than why not share some of that knowledge. You have accused British Cycling (and therefore Cookson) of coverups before.

No-one is asking you to prove it, just share what you "know", although it seems odd to say you know something when you cannot prove it.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Clearly McQuaid is rotten to the core. His antics are nothing short of bizarre, so damaging they are to any remaining credibility he had left. He must have some serious secrets to protect to go to these lengths to hide them. Cookson being British and being associated with Sky clearly isn't going to be everyone's favourite alternative but before casting aspersions based on hearsay and rumour lets just get rid of Pat, for the love of all that is holy, and for the sake of the sport.

as Bennotti says Cookson is the lesser of two evils and hey he even may surprise you and not be evil at all. But McQuaid has to go, he's becoming a cartoon caricature as he thrashing about desperately clinging onto power.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:

Cookson has had a long time to try and change the culture of the UCI from the inside. He either didn't bother as he was part of the culture or he turned a blind eye.

He should be asked about it.

I would much prefer someone with a more credible background than Cookson.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Well sounds like there was a lot of resistance to change and a lot of power being exercised centrally by Pat and Hein, but anyway what Cookson might or might not have been able to affect from the inside is pure speculation, we simply can't know.

What he does represent is a chance for a change. At the end of the day you'd be hard pressed to find someone from within the UCI that could gain the presidency in these elections who isn't somehow stained by the drug epoch. Within going on a full on purge of the UCI and the pro-tour there are always going to be some questions presumably.

Out of interest do you have a name you would be comfortable with?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Cookson has had a long time to try and change the culture of the UCI from the inside. He either didn't bother as he was part of the culture or he turned a blind eye.

Cookson was a member of the Management Committee since 2009, and as an individual member would have had little chance of changing a culture.

Can you name this magical person who has a "credible background".

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Cookson was a member of the Management Committee since 2009, and as an individual member would have had little chance of changing a culture.

Can you name this magical person who has a "credible background".

Cookson is not new to the sport. He has been president of BC since 1997.

Credible background, let me see, Ghandi is dead, MLK is dead, Mandela is nearly dead.......damn so hard to find credible people.....

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Cookson is not new to the sport. He has been president of BC since 1997.

Aha, British Cycling since 97, and how does one "change the culture of the UCI from the inside" by being a President of a National Federation?

When did you get your first UCI licence?

Benotti69 said:
Credible background, let me see, Ghandi is dead, MLK is dead, Mandela is nearly dead.......damn so hard to find credible people.....
Good answer. Thanks.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Aha, British Cycling since 97, and how does one "change the culture of the UCI from the inside" by being a President of a National Federation?

If one cared about the sport as Cookson now proclaims, he will be able point to his efforts. Festina was '98 so Cookson has seen the dark side of the sport in all its 'glory' and living in the UK will have read Walsh, Kimmage and Whittle's prose about the sport's murky side.

Dr. Maserati said:
When did you get your first UCI licence?

Next you'll be asking me out on a date, tsk tsk.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
If one cared about the sport as Cookson now proclaims, he will be able point to his efforts. Festina was '98 so Cookson has seen the dark side of the sport in all its 'glory' and living in the UK will have read Walsh, Kimmage and Whittle's prose about the sport's murky side.

Next you'll be asking me out on a date, tsk tsk.

So?
Listen you said he was on the inside and should have changed things - now you are on about Walsh, reading stuff - basically zero point.

If you don't have an opinion that you can articulate and remain consistent on then just shut up.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps Cookson has been biding his time, building influence from the inside, getting to know the governance of the UCI intimately and waiting for the right opportunity to oust the corrupt incumbant and run for the Presidency himself. And when the sport and public are crying out for change he can effect it.

About sum up what he's doing now?

Hein and Pat pulled the strings at the UCI, like Blatter at FIFA, and a bit like Blatter up until now they have been untouchable. Not anymore, they are the proverbial wounded animal and the wolves are circling. The reason McQuaid hasn't walked away surely is because he fears what Cookson will do, and what secrets will come out. If Cookson was in cahoots with McQuaid, why would Pat be so desperate to stop him getting into power?

Have reservations about Cookson for sure, but don't tar him with same brush by default, the sport needs change and right now he's the best chance of it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

The rise of Sky happened under Cookson's watch.

Under Cookson, we might see some second tier riders test positive, perhaps some Turks and Portuguese riders, perhaps even a Spaniard, but I don't see him going after new age anglosaxon teams/riders like Garmin, Sky or Greenedge.

Now Reedie is being brought in as WADA president.
The 2012 olympic games happened under Reedie's watch.
Brits were doping country number one during those Games, judging from their remarkable medal count.

With Cookson and Reedie in charge next year, it's carte blanche for the anglosaxon teams.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
So Simon Gerrans turning up as a GC rider for OGE next year is on the cards?

That'd make more sense than anything the Brits have fed us since 2011.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
So?
Listen you said he was on the inside and should have changed things - now you are on about Walsh, reading stuff - basically zero point.

If you don't have an opinion that you can articulate and remain consistent on then just shut up.

In an ordinary world cutting Cookson slack would be the norm.

But the UCI and pro cycling, heck even politics isn't the normal world.

Cookson has to PROVE he has the goods. Relying solely on McQuaid being the proverbial stuff up is simply not good enough. Why? Because cycling is rotten to the core.

It's like the current Australian Govt. Everyone moaned and whined about Julia Gillard as PM, then the former PM Rudd, reneged on a promise, lied, challenged for leadership and became PM again. Unelected of course. The same goes here minus the election part. Sure you can change the donkey in charge, but at the end of the day, despite being a different faction, they are part of the same corrupt beast. Just from different ends. Sewing up their own coffers and filling their cup with enough broth to make them merry. This isn't about the people. It's about THEM. Self interest. Their own. Jobs for the boys. Controlling the purse strings.

The onus is on Cookson to prove something credible. Fact remains, the man hasn't. Same cloth as McQuaid, just sullied from a different end of the parchment. If it walks and quacks like a duck, odds are, it's just another duck. Just like McQuack.