• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Britain still doesn't understand road racing...

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
The most prestigious titles a sprinter can win are the world title, and green jersey.

As said before, the journalist in question is just trying to put the world championship in perspective for all the british readers that dont follow cycling that closely.

Cant beleive this thread has made it to page 2.

Milan SanRemo? world > milan-sanremo > green

Who won the war - on a cycling forum

The debate on American entry to the war and conclusion is about as informed as a you-tube comments section -

or

as informed as the British media about road racing and the role of a sprinter.

Articles from the Daily Telegraph in July were stating that soon Cav would eclipse Eddy as the greatest ever cyclist as he would soon have more stage victories. All he needs are a few yellow jerseys and then to have a polka dot one to wear at the same time as a yellow one and the ultimate - the green one. Easy init.

oh dear, I don't have an issue if they said as prestigious as yellow instead of greater. Based on some of the comments here some people (huge classics fans) do consider the rainbow more important.

What I really loved in the article was that the reason the worlds is better than the tour is because the worlds are "unusually demanding by its length" :confused:

EDIT: Any other great moments from BBC Breakfast show. I love bad talk show stories

May 21, 2010
Visit site
The reality is,its irrelevant the media's agenda towards cycling.Cycling is booming in the UK; more bikes being sold,more people commuting,more people doing sportives and succsess at world/professional level.There is an appetite for it,one which they cant ignore any longer.Numbers matter.

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
simo1733 said:
Is it true that the BBC asked Cavendish what he did for a full time job?

Here's the video for those who haven't seen it (maybe geo-restricted).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/15123507.stm

Cringeworthy but agreed, no reason why they should know anything about cycling unless they happen to be fans. I think the key thing is that he was on the show in the first place. Along with all the articles that appeared during the Tour and after the World's (which we as more knowledgeable cycling fans read and think what a load of rubbish), it is all symptomatic of a growing appreciation in Britain of both cycling as a sport - and the success of our road riders, and of cycling becoming an increasingly popular past time, which has to be a good thing.

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
You don't think doing some research on the people you're interviewing is or should be basic journalist practice?

True! I think what I meant was they're not going to know the in's and out's of cycling as non-fans. But yes, their research should have been more thorough than Cav now has a stripey jersey, and how is cycling a team sport if one person gets all the glory.

Just watched that interview, and to be honest I don't know what anyone's complaining about. This was going out on BBC Breakfast, so almost all the audience knows nothing about road cycling, and are busily eating their cornflakes/shouting at their children/etc.

So the presenters ask questions to provide an idiot's guide to road cycling - because that's the only level the vast majority of the audience would understand. They're professional TV presenters, so they're not asking the questions for their own benefit you see.

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
RownhamHill said:
Just watched that interview, and to be honest I don't know what anyone's complaining about. This was going out on BBC Breakfast, so almost all the audience knows nothing about road cycling, and are busily eating their cornflakes/shouting at their children/etc.

So the presenters ask questions to provide an idiot's guide to road cycling - because that's the only level the vast majority of the audience would understand. They're professional TV presenters, so they're not asking the questions for their own benefit you see.

They should still have included a few questions for the few who understand cycling better.

I feel the BBC is full of journalists who feel they are the stars so can't be bothered doing their basic research/act ridiculously. Just look at Paxman...

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
You don't think doing some research on the people you're interviewing is or should be basic journalist practice?

You are talking about a company that has a teletext site for sports news and cycling is buried somewhere deep down in Other Sport/Other Sport just to let you know how far away from `normal' sport you are!

TRENDING THREADS