• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British politics

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
King Boonen said:
rick james said:
Yes, yes it is, no deal brexit is an amazing deal, we go to WTO like every country out side the useless European Union and we get to keep the billions May promised the EU in her useless deal
I think the list of other countries trading solely on WTO terms is currently zero. WTO is also not the default, we’d have to apply for membership as we would forfeit our membership through the EU.

According to https://www.wto.org/english/thewto_e/countries_e/united_kingdom_e.htm
This page gathers information on the United Kingdom's participation in the WTO. The United Kingdom has been a WTO member since 1 January 1995 and a member of GATT since 1 January 1948.

infact the EU itself is a WTO member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_the_World_Trade_Organization
The 28 states of the European Union are dually represented, as the EU is a full member of the organization.

I’m unsure what you’re getting at?

Re:

rick james said:
the way some of the MP'S are acting(in all parties) with power grabs instead of doing what the people voted, they will lose the confidence of the people that voted, Brexit was voted for, Brexit will happen
But the problem is no-one really knows what was voted for. As I pointed out, there are loads of different ways to leave the EU.

King Boonen said:
Robert5091 said:
The UK is a member of WTO since '95 - that's all. There are countries who are not members of WTO or just have "observer status".
Ah ok, I thought the UK membership was contingent on the current economic agreements. If we leave and lose those, we may have to reapply.

The UK Government's latest info from 22 March on trade agreements if there's a no-deal
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ements-if-the-uk-leaves-the-eu-without-a-deal

Of course the US business sector are already pushing for new agreements to allow goods from the US that are currently banned under EU laws.

King Boonen said:
rick james said:
the way some of the MP'S are acting(in all parties) with power grabs instead of doing what the people voted, they will lose the confidence of the people that voted, Brexit was voted for, Brexit will happen
But the problem is no-one really knows what was voted for. As I pointed out, there are loads of different ways to leave the EU.

Ahhh but for many Leavers it's simple. Leave means leave.

Simplistic thinking is what lead them to vote leave, why would you expect them to have gained any understanding at all of a complex issue.

King Boonen said:
rick james said:
Like your partner in crime on this thread you are calling leave voters stupid, how ignorenat can you get? we knew what we were voting for, MPs should act now....

macbindle said:
King Boonen said:
rick james said:

Ahhh but for many Leavers it's simple. Leave means leave.

Simplistic thinking is what lead them to vote leave, why would you expect them to have gained any understanding at all of a complex issue.
Well yes, leave means leave, no stupid deals that’s keeps us tied to the failing European Union...just because you don’t agree with the majority and don’t want democracy to work

I dont want to be poorer. I dont want my children to be unemployed. I dont want my children to but shut out of European universities. I dont want European travel to be a pain. I dont want to live in a low-tax/no state service, low wage Jacob Rees-Mogg wet dream.

But most of all, I dont want the 50% of the population with a below average IQ who think it's just a matter of "leave means leave" to fuk the country for good. I dont want an ascendant far-right little englander reactionary mentality to be emboldened by Brexit.

rick james said:
King Boonen said:
rick james said:
Like your partner in crime on this thread you are calling leave voters stupid, how ignorenat can you get? we knew what we were voting for, MPs should act now....

No you didn't. You didn't (and still dont) have a pi55ing clue.

Leave voters are pretty stupid. The leave votership had a significantly lower educational attainment level than remain voters.

rick james said:
King Boonen said:
rick james said:
I’ve never called anyone stupid and I apologise if it’s come across as that, it was never my intention.

I’m not saying you didn’t know what you were voting for, I’m not even saying that any leave voter didn’t know what they were voting for. I’m saying that what leave voters were voting for was not a single thing. I’ve spoken to enough people and seen enough interviews to know that there are loads of variations of what people thought leaving the EU actually meant. You want to leave and cut any kind of cooperation with the EU via a no deal. If that’s what you wanted when you voted that’s fine. That’s not what everyone who voted leave wanted though. That’s why, during the campaign, even the politicians campaigning to leave couldn’t agree on what it would actually mean. This meant that, depending on who you listened to, you would be voting for something different. I don’t blame people for listening to and trusting their elected representatives, that’s what they are there for. The problem was that there were too many differing statesmen’s and too many promises made that couldn’t be kept.

This is one of the reasons why Parliament is hung. It’s compounded by the fact that the MPs know that any form of leave is likely to lead to their constituents being worse off and most of them don’t want that to happen.

Looks like the Brexit process is still being controlled by:

image.jpg

He's a noise at the sidelines really. UKIP has gone full far-right nutjob and even he has disowned it as an embarrassment and his People's March appears to have disappeared.

He's got no power at all really, but he's probably pleased that there is a real prospect of a long delay because it will give him the chance for re-election in the EU elections if Britain participates. Even though he absolutely loathes the EU he didn't seem to mind the huge salary it paid him for years and years for which he did next to nothing.

Like all the key figures in the Leave campaign, he is motivated by pure and utter self-interest.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ps-appeal-against-fine-for-electoral-offences
Vote Leave has dropped its appeal against a £61,000 fine for electoral offences committed during the Brexit referendum.

The fine was imposed on the group, which was the lead campaigner for a leave vote, last year after the Electoral Commission concluded that it broke legal spending limits by donating hundreds of thousands of pounds to another leave campaigner, the then 22-year-old fashion student Darren Grimes, founder of BeLeave.

Vote Leave appealed against the fine, claiming that its donation to Grimes had been signed off by the commission. Supporters of the group suggested, without evidence, that commission staff were opposed to leaving the EU and were persecuting leave campaigners.

However, in a statement released on Friday afternoon, the Electoral Commission said Vote Leave had withdrawn its appeal. “We found that [Vote Leave] broke the electoral rules set out by parliament to ensure fairness, confidence and legitimacy at an electoral event,” it said.

So they agree they broke the legal spending limits - and dropped the appeal on March 29 - hum ... Rubbing our faces in the vote?

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-they-are-out-to-get-you-conspiracy-theorists
Conspiratorial thinking must be hit early and hard before it becomes too powerful to contest. We must point to the basket case that is Britain this weekend – without a coherent government to rule, a competent opposition to take over or a clue how it will it get through the next week – and say that this is how populism always ends.

And if people scream about you treating them like “hoodwinked imbeciles”, you must have the confidence to say that “hoodwinked” is exactly what they have been and that if they doubt it, they need only look at the catastrophe that surrounds them.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rt-brexit-extension-and-reaches-out-to-labour
Theresa May is to ask for another brief Brexit extension in order to seek a compromise withdrawal plan with the Labour party, she has announced, signalling the likelihood of Downing Street backing a softer Brexit.

In a brief TV statement inside No 10 following a seven-hour cabinet meeting, the prime minister said she would hold talks with Jeremy Corbyn to seek a Brexit plan they could agree on and “both stick to”.

In response, Corbyn said he was “very happy” to take part in the talks, and said he accepted the need to go into the talks in a spirit of cross-party cooperation.

So PM May makes the move that might well end up splitting forever the Tories and if Corbyn's not careful, the Labour party too.

Labour/Con politicians are now bending over themselves to accuse each other of anti-semitism at the moment. Its de rigueur. This is because the Labour counter to the anti-semitism scandal, that of Islamophobia in the Tory party, has proved ineffective because Islamophobia is the acceptable face of racism in the UK. In fact, an islamophobic Conservative party is probably seen as attractive by a majority of its votership.

I think the anti-semitic aspect to the term "cultural marxism" is irrelevant in today's context. Marxism is a dirty word to those who lived through the cold war era, and the 'reds under the bed' trope from that era is being resurrected to smear Corbyn.

Today, Rees-Mogg denounced Corbyn as a "known Marxist", and some nobody Tory MP said much the same in parliament today.

The term "cultural marxism" is as meaningless as it is inaccurate, and it's only function is to identify its users as bigots.

As an epithet used by bigots that makes sense insofar as its a mode of analysis that deals with the disintegrating/fragmented/contradictory cultural conditions of late capitalism. Which of course virtually no essentialists on the right can see for what they are. The only real change in the past few decades is that they’re now joined by some to the “left” in a regressive search for stable ground.

On a related note, Thomas Friedman was on the BBC today, punting his latest book centering on rapid changes in technology, climate and capitalism. He was asked his opinion on Brexit, because as you know, we British seem to fete Americans' views on us in an act of seemingly contradictory fawning subservience, and self-obsessed preening (Bill Bryson made a career out of spooning his warm diahorrea into our willing open mouths).

And he said this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/04/02/opinion/brexit-news.amp.html

wrt 'cultural Marxism', I view it as an identical device to the 'social justice warrior' slur, in that it attempts to divert away from the actual power imbalances being highlighted and focus on questioning the motivations of those pointing out the imbalances. Not sure of the relevance of Marxism, other than to reawaken deeply internalised indoctrination, and surely Jesus was the archetypal social justice warrior?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS