• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British politics

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I took Friedman seriously maybe 20 years ago when I didn't know any better. Obviously his basic conclusions aren't wrong in. re. Britain; it's hard not to see that as the outcome. His flat earth, interconnected, benevolent and innovative knowledge based growth economy is a little more problematic. He seems to miss the part that the point of growth is profit and that many so-called past "solutions" and "innovations" were what bred the current problems.

And so on

O good grief ... what next?! :mad:
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-politics-47819517/house-of-commons-finishes-sitting-due-to-water-leak
Commons adjourned due to water leak

During a debate on taxation, Labour MP Justin Madders struggled to be heard as the water leak in the Commons chamber grew louder.

The leak started to be heard around the conclusion of Justine Greening's speech, who had been speaking just before Mr Madders.

The Deputy Speaker, Lindsay Hoyle, was forced to suspend the sitting in the Commons at the conclusion of Mr Madders' speech. The House of Commons has now adjourned for the day.

SDB's buddy Alastair Campbell has his 2 cents worth
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...it-humiliation-second-referendum-peoples-vote
Humiliating to see our politics made a global laughing stock, and our prime minister reduced to making a direct plea to her fellow EU leaders, then to be asked to leave the room as they, not she, decided the way forward for her and our country. It is humiliating to be anywhere overseas right now (I was following events from Paris) and have foreigners talk to you about Britain in the tone of voice normally associated with consolation over a death in the family.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politic...4/17/brexit-party-leading-eu-parliament-polls
Nigel Farage’s new party tops the polls with 27% of the vote

In our first poll on the forthcoming EU Parliament elections last week Nigel Farage’s new outfit stormed into third place with 15% of the vote. This was despite the Brexit Party not having formally launched.

Now, following the burst of publicity that came with their official formation, our second poll, conducted for the People’s Vote, shows the Brexit Party leapfrogging into first place on 27% of the vote.

O cr*p!

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...bers-hit-record-low-survey-suggests-live-news
And a new survey of Conservative party members by the ConservativeHome website illustrates quite how little support May now has in her party. According to Conservative Home, May’s approval ratings amongst members have hit a record low.

And here is an extract from the analysis from ConservativeHome’s Mark Wallace. He says:
"Her rating wasn’t fantastic in February, when it sat at -40.8, but the prospect of postponement pushed it down to -51.2 in March, and the reality of that broken promise has pushed her numbers off a cliff, plummeting to -73.5 in April. I’ve searched our archives and so far as I can see this is the worst rating awarded to any Conservative ever in this question. The only cabinet league table numbers I can find which were worse were Vince Cable and Chris Huhne at their respective nadirs during the coalition years, which are not people a Tory prime minister would want to rival in the grassroots popularity stakes."

Best to go to a funeral in N. Ireland instead -
The PM will travel to Belfast today where she will attend the funeral of Lyra McKee.

When you're the UK's richest man, you get to go chin-wag with the PM -
https://friendsoftheearth.uk/climate-change/how-earthquakes-could-topple-fracking-industry
When the gas company Cuadrilla started fracking last year in Lancashire, it triggered over 50 earthquakes.

The government’s earthquake rules require fracking companies to pause operations if they set off earthquakes over a magnitude of 0.5. Cuadrilla caused several earthquakes over this limit and was only able to frack a tiny proportion of the gas well.

Since then, fracking companies like Cuadrilla and INEOS have been begging permission from the government to allow larger earthquakes. So far, the government has refused.
... INEOS decided to go straight to the top of government. Its CEO Jim Ratcliffe (Britain’s richest man) had a private meeting with Theresa May, in which he complained about the government’s fracking policy, according to Sky News . The Prime Minister’s Office confirmed to us that May met with Ratcliffe but refused to share the minutes of the meeting.

Re:

macbindle said:
Brady, Batten and the bloody backstop (again): it’s still dark in the sunlit uplands

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/26/brady-batten-backstop-brexit?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Marina Hyde reduces these sad-sack juvenile attention-seeking dough-faced twats to the silly little boys they are.

Doubtless our angry little resident incel will be along to defend these jerks, just as he always seems to defend proto-fascists.

So the best of the best are going into poitics. :rolleyes:

They are youtuber attention-seekers. What their dumbfuk supporters dont realise is that these jerks go on about free speech not because they believe in it (they dont...they are proto fascists) but because they are scared of losing their YouTube revenue, and associated Patreon subscriptions.

How is it that Carl Benjamin can support a fairly large family in a comfortable house, but doesn't have an actual job? Ditto Stephen Yaxley-Robinson, a guy whose first of many convictions was for kicking a policeman who had attempted to stop Yaxley beating up his girlfriend in the street.

UKIP is now a far-right party so chock full of serious racists that even the mild racists who previously made up UKIP are deserting it.

Farage has deserted it. He is like a much cleverer version of Benjamin and Yaxley, but in essence a giant attention seeker who neither offers nor is interested in solutions to the real issues faced by the UK.

Because the two party system has been fragmented by the non-partisan issue of Brexit, it has created a gap for populist opportunists.

To follow on from my previous post about Sir Jim "Ineos" meeting the PM -
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-48081314
Fracking tsar resigns after six months over 'ridiculous' rules

The UK's shale gas commissioner is resigning after just six months, saying fracking is being throttled by rules preventing mini earthquakes.

Current government rules mean fracking must be suspended every time a 0.5 magnitude tremor is detected.

But Natascha Engel, a former Labour MP, said the cautious approach to tremors had created a de facto ban on fracking.

She claimed campaign groups "were driving policy" - but the groups say fracking damages the environment.

In her resignation letter, Ms Engel - who was MP for North East Derbyshire from 2005 to 2017 - said government was "pandering to what we know to be myths and scare stories" about shale gas extraction.

I'm betting on the woman finding a nice cushy job with a lobbying organization.

Re:

Robert5091 said:

The UK's shale gas commissioner is resigning after just six months, saying fracking is being throttled by rules preventing mini earthquakes.

Current government rules mean fracking must be suspended every time a 0.5 magnitude tremor is detected.

But Natascha Engel, a former Labour MP, said the cautious approach to tremors had created a de facto ban on fracking.

She claimed campaign groups "were driving policy" - but the groups say fracking damages the environment.

In her resignation letter, Ms Engel - who was MP for North East Derbyshire from 2005 to 2017 - said government was "pandering to what we know to be myths and scare stories" about shale gas extraction.

Unless she lost her job she was already a consultant for Ineos. Started after she lost her seat in the 2017 General Election.

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Robert5091 said:

Unless she lost her job she was already a consultant for Ineos. Started after she lost her seat in the 2017 General Election.

I didn't even have to look it up, or google it as the kids say.
https://drillordrop.com/2019/04/28/shale-gas-commissioner-resigns/
She was appointed for a two-year-term and paid at rate of £500 per day for a total of 96 days per year. This was to be open to review.

There were no restrictions on other posts she could undertake, BEIS said, “if the post-holder has time to do the role effectively and is not conflicted.”

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2019/04/29/uk-fracking-shale-gas-commissioner-but-her-emails/
Fracking meetings

The few emails released to Unearthed showed that Engel met with INEOS, her old employer, at the firm’s London head office on the 17 January 2019 for a ‘catch-up’.

The company’s chief operating officer Tom Pickering also wrote to her in January to confirm that Engel received a ‘pre Christmas update’ on the firm’s fracking plans.

Engel also met with the Cuadrilla director Francis Egan on the 15 January 2019 at the Institute of Directors office in central London.

No minutes or notes from the three encounters with key players in the fracking industry were provided by the Commissioner.

When asked if she still receives funding from the fracking industry, Engel told Unearthed: “As you know I worked for INEOS for six months until April 2018. Since October 2018 when I started my current role, the Shale Commissioner’s fee has been my sole income.”
(so from April to October she had no income? Or ... maybe there was other "fracking related" work via another company?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS