• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

British politics

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously did not even read the news article.

Why do you have to tell someone to educate themselves or accuse someone of something with your posts?
It is better to be more polite in order to discuss things in the real world.

I did read the article, and because you are entirely transparent I knew exactly why you posted it and where you wanted to go with it, so I just cut out the middleman.

Read the Amnesty article about refugee numbers.

The simple changing of one word can have a drastic effect. Labelling refugees as migrants is a blatant attempt to remove any culpability we have (and there is a huge amount of culpability) in the situation and demonise innocent people. Even if we had no culpability, the very idea of one of the richest countries in the world turning away people fleeing for their lives is disgusting. This makes me feel quite sick:

...Since January 2014 the UK has resettled just 216 Syrian refugees...

That is a pitifully small number.

I did read the article, and because you are entirely transparent I knew exactly why you posted it and where you wanted to go with it, so I just cut out the middleman.

Read the Amnesty article about refugee numbers.
The simple changing of one word can have a drastic effect. Labelling refugees as migrants is a blatant attempt to remove any culpability we have (and there is a huge amount of culpability) in the situation and demonise innocent people. Even if we had no culpability, the very idea of one of the richest countries in the world turning away people fleeing for their lives is disgusting. This makes me feel quite sick:

That is a pitifully small number.
I'm confused why they could not stay in France then? I did not know BBC had an agenda against migrants or refugees?

Read that way from your reply.
Well that wasn't the intention and I honestly think that's pretty clear in the context of these discussions. It's impossible to determine who has decided to use the word migrant rather than refugee. It could have been Priti Patel or one of her advisors who used it and the author didn't want to change it, it could have been the author or the editor at the BBC or it could be BBC policy. My comment was more a general point on why people insist on using migrant when refugee is more applicable.

Sure why not. Globalization can solve all of our problems. Right?
I don't know, why don't you expand on why you think it can?

I looked up your assertion. The only thing I could quickly find was a statement from Hekmatyar saying that Prince Harry went to Afghanistan to kill innocent Afghans while drunk. Is there something I've missed?

Well that wasn't the intention and I honestly think that's pretty clear in the context of these discussions. It's impossible to determine who has decided to use the word migrant rather than refugee. It could have been Priti Patel or one of her advisors who used it and the author didn't want to change it, it could have been the author or the editor at the BBC or it could be BBC policy. My comment was more a general point on why people insist on using migrant when refugee is more applicable.

I don't know, why don't you expand on why you think it can?

I looked up your assertion. The only thing I could quickly find was a statement from Hekmatyar saying that Prince Harry went to Afghanistan to kill innocent Afghans while drunk. Is there something I've missed?
The reason I posted the BBC article was being critical towards France's handling of the refugees or migrants whichever you prefer.
I read an article somewhere that was being critical of the Prince and his military service. That he had fired on afgans was in it. particularly interesting when you mentioned give them money.

Surely the Prince Andrew revelations are far more damaging for the monarchy than the Harry/Meghan Wills/Kate sideshow

On another point

Migrant - large defintiion covering all sorts of people including multi-millionaires to refugees

Refugees - those fleeing country where the conditions have become intolerable

Asylum Seeker - those fleeing persecution (will be a subset of refugees)

Neither refugees or Asylum seekers should be coming from the EU , unless we think the EU is not a safe place for them, perhaps after Brexit at some time in the future this may be the case

Anyway the meatloaf Mps are saying they are will do anything to stop no deal, which begs the question why they didn't they vote for the withdrawal agreement, (obviously those that did are excluded from such accusations).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS