Brits don't dope?

Page 160 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
ontheroad said:
Freddythefrog said:
To the rescue, the press release just oozes with understanding and resolve:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/julie-harrington-accepts-task-of-restoring-faith-in-british-cycling/ar-AAnTRa0

"....the nation's elite riders which she admits may have been tarnished by ongoing doping investigations."

There is a raging fire going on. Wiggo has gone to ground citing a broken leg (that requires no plaster !) for getting himself out of a celebrity game show and out of the public eye, the whole squad are silent - on everything - only Adam Duggleby broke ranks and supported Cooke's criticsm of Sir Brad. Just what evidence exists for "may" finding its way in there ?

"Making sure the reputation of our athletes is clean and that they are seen to be achieving success in the right way is paramount, and we owe that to our athletes.


Perception trumps fact - go for it girl - SDB, Fran and Michele are backing you all the way. It's a circus with magic tricks and illusions. Concentrate on sight lines, don't let anyone sit where they can see behind the curtain.

"We are committed to making sure that our athletes are able to represent themselves strongly in that way.

"I'm thrilled to be taking the lead. I think it's an organisation that is ready for a new chapter in its history and I'm hoping to bring a mix of commercial and leadership skills to get the whole organisation ready for that next chapter."

New chapter - yeah - time to turn the page and see what fiction is on the next. Can't wait. How about dropping the BS and doing a bit of reality. "I am looking forward to gaining an understanding of the scope and breadth of the problems that beset this organisation. We owe it to the membership and the public who invest over £30million, the largest sum of any sport in the UK let me remind everyone, in British Cycling each Olympic cycle. We owe it to them to ensure that money is spent wisely and productively on what it is meant to be spent on and not buying steroids to help SDB deal with his weight issues or letting staff who have BC cars and fuel cards, claim for rail-tickets to and from Manchester. And I look forward to the "pharmacy" being closed down with perhaps Asprin being the limit of what the public fund our sports-stars without the most stringent checks and balances.
Thos comments from Harrington are utterly depressing. I wonder who selects these people. It appears we have another incumbent for whom perception is more important than reality. A continuation of Sky's mantra from the get go. Kerrison said as much in the interview a few years back at 5:00 in the video below. Kerrsion was another shifty individual who knew the reality.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVROhTHxWP8
it is merely an evolution of Mark McKinnon and Public Strategies and Armstrong, where they believe PR and communications strategy and operations strategy dictates reality.*

It is arguable, the strategy of McKinnon and Armstrong as a brand, and a brand of cancer, was more important than his brand of cycling, on asphalt, hotpour, tarmac and lime, tarmac and line. cycling and July was a given, Nike shilling widgets like Jordan basketball shoes was a given, but the underlying brand that took him to the Whitehouse and on Today with Katie Couric, on Oprah, on Lateshow with Letterman and Leno, it was not cycling. Lemond never had cut-thru and traction. Lemond was not a baseballer or footballer. Americans dont understand cycling. cancer was the conduit and brand. McKinnon axiomatically understood this. Stapleton saw his apotheosis. Wonderboy was cancer jesus. And Americans understand religion, dont believe the separation of state hogwash.

*they are sportsmen/women, and are lured by the groupthink. What they cannot see is their Icarus project or attempt to scale heights and win a prize that necessitates them on an industrial scale doping and doping logistics program, and if they are successful at backing up and repeating, and creating a franchise, the media spotlight will uncover the less palatable aspects of this achievement. It is a paradox, to succeed again and again, to sell this success in the media, will also reveal the operation behind the success. And the public will not deify you then, it will crucify you.
Excellent analysis/summation, especially the Icarus reference.
 
Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
King Boonen said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_five_live

An hours chat about doing in amateur sport in the UK. Wonder what this is going to be like...
This was the original story - http://www.bbc.com/sport/38884801 about amateurs doping.

(just in time for Mr Froome's return to racing :D )
I was listening but got distracted. Seemed every call I did hear was basically saying doping if rife in amateur sport and there was a broad range of sports represented. Will have a look at that link at lunchtime.
 
Sep 8, 2015
210
0
0
Funny how nearly 50% of amateurs think PEDs are "easy to get hold of" yet (in relative terms) so few elite sportspeople ever test positive.....
 
Sep 8, 2015
210
0
0
Also funny how the second highest group who answered "agree" to "PEDs are easily available amongst sports pros" was..... amateur Tennis players!

But but! There's no PEDs in pro Tennis so how can this be?! Must just be those naughty amateurs ruining the pros' good name.
 
BullsFan22 said:
http://www.bbc.com/sport/39350734
UKADs blog/presser
https://cleansportblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/british-wrestler-chinu-sandhu-banned-for-four-years/

Stanozolol metabolites. Old School.

Full decision is here:
https://cleansportblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/170227_ukad_v_sandhu_418.pdf

Lengthy arguments over the contaminated supplement argument. Some good paragraphs stating clearly what must be shown in legal terms for this argument to even have the start of some merit.
 
https://cleansportblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/amateur-cyclist-receives-two-year-ban-for-glucocorticoids/
Michael Ellerton, a 55-year-old amateur cyclist from Burnley, has been suspended from all sport for two years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV).

Ellerton, who was previously registered with Team Swift, tested positive for the glucocorticoids prednisone and prednisolone, following an in-competition test at the Port Talbot Wheelers Cycling Club’s annual 25 Mile Time Trial on 11 September 2016.

Glucocorticoids are currently prohibited in-competition, when administered by a systemic route of administration (orally, rectally, intravenously or intramuscularly). However, glucocorticoids are permitted out-of-competition regardless of the route of administration.

Ellerton contested that the finding came as a result of taking medication for mouth ulcers in the lead up to the race. Given the level at which the rider was competing, he retroactively applied to UKAD for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). However, the application was subsequently rejected by the TUE Committee.

UKAD is satisfied that Ellerton did not act intentionally, according to the Anti-Doping Rules, and that the prohibited substances were used out-of-competition in a context unrelated to sport performance. As a result, a two-year period of ineligibility has been imposed.
 
Jul 21, 2016
913
0
0
Re:

Robert5091 said:
https://cleansportblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/amateur-cyclist-receives-two-year-ban-for-glucocorticoids/
Michael Ellerton, a 55-year-old amateur cyclist from Burnley, has been suspended from all sport for two years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV).

Ellerton, who was previously registered with Team Swift, tested positive for the glucocorticoids prednisone and prednisolone, following an in-competition test at the Port Talbot Wheelers Cycling Club’s annual 25 Mile Time Trial on 11 September 2016.

Glucocorticoids are currently prohibited in-competition, when administered by a systemic route of administration (orally, rectally, intravenously or intramuscularly). However, glucocorticoids are permitted out-of-competition regardless of the route of administration.

Ellerton contested that the finding came as a result of taking medication for mouth ulcers in the lead up to the race. Given the level at which the rider was competing, he retroactively applied to UKAD for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). However, the application was subsequently rejected by the TUE Committee.

UKAD is satisfied that Ellerton did not act intentionally, according to the Anti-Doping Rules, and that the prohibited substances were used out-of-competition in a context unrelated to sport performance. As a result, a two-year period of ineligibility has been imposed.
That's funny, and bizarre... in-competition testing at the Port Tarbot Wheelers annual 25 TT. WTF!
And his use was unrelated to sport performance, but he's still banned! It's fish-and-chippers racing for gords sake.
Very silly stuff.
 
Mar 7, 2017
1,098
0
0
Re: Re:

Dan2016 said:
Robert5091 said:
https://cleansportblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/amateur-cyclist-receives-two-year-ban-for-glucocorticoids/
Michael Ellerton, a 55-year-old amateur cyclist from Burnley, has been suspended from all sport for two years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV).

Ellerton, who was previously registered with Team Swift, tested positive for the glucocorticoids prednisone and prednisolone, following an in-competition test at the Port Talbot Wheelers Cycling Club’s annual 25 Mile Time Trial on 11 September 2016.

Glucocorticoids are currently prohibited in-competition, when administered by a systemic route of administration (orally, rectally, intravenously or intramuscularly). However, glucocorticoids are permitted out-of-competition regardless of the route of administration.

Ellerton contested that the finding came as a result of taking medication for mouth ulcers in the lead up to the race. Given the level at which the rider was competing, he retroactively applied to UKAD for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). However, the application was subsequently rejected by the TUE Committee.

UKAD is satisfied that Ellerton did not act intentionally, according to the Anti-Doping Rules, and that the prohibited substances were used out-of-competition in a context unrelated to sport performance. As a result, a two-year period of ineligibility has been imposed.
That's funny, and bizarre... in-competition testing at the Port Tarbot Wheelers annual 25 TT. WTF!
And his use was unrelated to sport performance, but he's still banned! It's fish-and-chippers racing for gords sake.
Very silly stuff.
The bolded bit - very silly stuff! UKAD just bottled it as usual. Fella shoulda got 4 years

Taking prednisone and prednisolone for mouth ulcers is like taking Kenalog to prevent allergies - sledgehammer to crack a nut. And this eejit Ellerton borrowed it from a mate, apparently. Just after he extracted his homework from the dog
 
Re: Re:

Wiggo's Package said:
Dan2016 said:
Robert5091 said:
https://cleansportblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/amateur-cyclist-receives-two-year-ban-for-glucocorticoids/
Michael Ellerton, a 55-year-old amateur cyclist from Burnley, has been suspended from all sport for two years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV).

Ellerton, who was previously registered with Team Swift, tested positive for the glucocorticoids prednisone and prednisolone, following an in-competition test at the Port Talbot Wheelers Cycling Club’s annual 25 Mile Time Trial on 11 September 2016.

Glucocorticoids are currently prohibited in-competition, when administered by a systemic route of administration (orally, rectally, intravenously or intramuscularly). However, glucocorticoids are permitted out-of-competition regardless of the route of administration.

Ellerton contested that the finding came as a result of taking medication for mouth ulcers in the lead up to the race. Given the level at which the rider was competing, he retroactively applied to UKAD for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). However, the application was subsequently rejected by the TUE Committee.

UKAD is satisfied that Ellerton did not act intentionally, according to the Anti-Doping Rules, and that the prohibited substances were used out-of-competition in a context unrelated to sport performance. As a result, a two-year period of ineligibility has been imposed.
That's funny, and bizarre... in-competition testing at the Port Tarbot Wheelers annual 25 TT. WTF!
And his use was unrelated to sport performance, but he's still banned! It's fish-and-chippers racing for gords sake.
Very silly stuff.
The bolded bit - very silly stuff! UKAD just bottled it as usual. Fella shoulda got 4 years

Taking prednisone and prednisolone for mouth ulcers is like taking Kenalog to prevent allergies - sledgehammer to crack a nut. And this eejit Ellerton borrowed it from a mate, apparently. Just after he extracted his homework from the dog
Thats what got me - if he'd had a proper prescription they might have been more inclined to believe him.

As a side point his friend in theory could get in to trouble for doing that, and also not now have enough pred to wean him/herself off properly.
 
Jul 21, 2016
913
0
0
Re: Re:

Wiggo's Package said:
Dan2016 said:
Robert5091 said:
https://cleansportblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/amateur-cyclist-receives-two-year-ban-for-glucocorticoids/
Michael Ellerton, a 55-year-old amateur cyclist from Burnley, has been suspended from all sport for two years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV).

Ellerton, who was previously registered with Team Swift, tested positive for the glucocorticoids prednisone and prednisolone, following an in-competition test at the Port Talbot Wheelers Cycling Club’s annual 25 Mile Time Trial on 11 September 2016.

Glucocorticoids are currently prohibited in-competition, when administered by a systemic route of administration (orally, rectally, intravenously or intramuscularly). However, glucocorticoids are permitted out-of-competition regardless of the route of administration.

Ellerton contested that the finding came as a result of taking medication for mouth ulcers in the lead up to the race. Given the level at which the rider was competing, he retroactively applied to UKAD for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). However, the application was subsequently rejected by the TUE Committee.

UKAD is satisfied that Ellerton did not act intentionally, according to the Anti-Doping Rules, and that the prohibited substances were used out-of-competition in a context unrelated to sport performance. As a result, a two-year period of ineligibility has been imposed.
That's funny, and bizarre... in-competition testing at the Port Tarbot Wheelers annual 25 TT. WTF!
And his use was unrelated to sport performance, but he's still banned! It's fish-and-chippers racing for gords sake.
Very silly stuff.
The bolded bit - very silly stuff! UKAD just bottled it as usual. Fella shoulda got 4 years

Taking prednisone and prednisolone for mouth ulcers is like taking Kenalog to prevent allergies - sledgehammer to crack a nut. And this eejit Ellerton borrowed it from a mate, apparently. Just after he extracted his homework from the dog
Maybe, maybe not. Prednisone is certainly commonly used for mouth ulcers...google just told me that with a 2 sec look. Maybe you know the full details of the case, but without that, none of us can know whether he needed it or not. And Kenalog is/was often used very effectively for seasonal allergies too. Not as sledgehammery as it appears.
It just seemed bizarre to me that a rider gets a 2 year ban from a Port Talbot Wheelers 25 TT. It's about as fish-and-chipper as you can get. I wouldn't care less if I saw riders popping speed on the start line in an event like that.
 
Mar 7, 2017
1,098
0
0
Re: Re:

Dan2016 said:
Wiggo's Package said:
Dan2016 said:
Robert5091 said:
https://cleansportblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/amateur-cyclist-receives-two-year-ban-for-glucocorticoids/
Michael Ellerton, a 55-year-old amateur cyclist from Burnley, has been suspended from all sport for two years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV).

Ellerton, who was previously registered with Team Swift, tested positive for the glucocorticoids prednisone and prednisolone, following an in-competition test at the Port Talbot Wheelers Cycling Club’s annual 25 Mile Time Trial on 11 September 2016.

Glucocorticoids are currently prohibited in-competition, when administered by a systemic route of administration (orally, rectally, intravenously or intramuscularly). However, glucocorticoids are permitted out-of-competition regardless of the route of administration.

Ellerton contested that the finding came as a result of taking medication for mouth ulcers in the lead up to the race. Given the level at which the rider was competing, he retroactively applied to UKAD for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). However, the application was subsequently rejected by the TUE Committee.

UKAD is satisfied that Ellerton did not act intentionally, according to the Anti-Doping Rules, and that the prohibited substances were used out-of-competition in a context unrelated to sport performance. As a result, a two-year period of ineligibility has been imposed.
That's funny, and bizarre... in-competition testing at the Port Tarbot Wheelers annual 25 TT. WTF!
And his use was unrelated to sport performance, but he's still banned! It's fish-and-chippers racing for gords sake.
Very silly stuff.
The bolded bit - very silly stuff! UKAD just bottled it as usual. Fella shoulda got 4 years

Taking prednisone and prednisolone for mouth ulcers is like taking Kenalog to prevent allergies - sledgehammer to crack a nut. And this eejit Ellerton borrowed it from a mate, apparently. Just after he extracted his homework from the dog
Maybe, maybe not. Prednisone is certainly commonly used for mouth ulcers...google just told me that with a 2 sec look. Maybe you know the full details of the case, but without that, none of us can know whether he needed it or not. And Kenalog is/was often used very effectively for seasonal allergies too. Not as sledgehammery as it appears.
It just seemed bizarre to me that a rider gets a 2 year ban from a Port Talbot Wheelers 25 TT. It's about as fish-and-chipper as you can get. I wouldn't care less if I saw riders popping speed on the start line in an event like that.
Did you know that Ellerton was tested as a result of a tip off?

UKAD knew that but gave him 2 years instead of 4 due to lack of "intention" :rolleyes:
 
Jul 21, 2016
913
0
0
Re: Re:

Wiggo's Package said:
Dan2016 said:
Wiggo's Package said:
Dan2016 said:
Robert5091 said:
https://cleansportblog.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/amateur-cyclist-receives-two-year-ban-for-glucocorticoids/
Michael Ellerton, a 55-year-old amateur cyclist from Burnley, has been suspended from all sport for two years following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV).

Ellerton, who was previously registered with Team Swift, tested positive for the glucocorticoids prednisone and prednisolone, following an in-competition test at the Port Talbot Wheelers Cycling Club’s annual 25 Mile Time Trial on 11 September 2016.

Glucocorticoids are currently prohibited in-competition, when administered by a systemic route of administration (orally, rectally, intravenously or intramuscularly). However, glucocorticoids are permitted out-of-competition regardless of the route of administration.

Ellerton contested that the finding came as a result of taking medication for mouth ulcers in the lead up to the race. Given the level at which the rider was competing, he retroactively applied to UKAD for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). However, the application was subsequently rejected by the TUE Committee.

UKAD is satisfied that Ellerton did not act intentionally, according to the Anti-Doping Rules, and that the prohibited substances were used out-of-competition in a context unrelated to sport performance. As a result, a two-year period of ineligibility has been imposed.
That's funny, and bizarre... in-competition testing at the Port Tarbot Wheelers annual 25 TT. WTF!
And his use was unrelated to sport performance, but he's still banned! It's fish-and-chippers racing for gords sake.
Very silly stuff.
The bolded bit - very silly stuff! UKAD just bottled it as usual. Fella shoulda got 4 years

Taking prednisone and prednisolone for mouth ulcers is like taking Kenalog to prevent allergies - sledgehammer to crack a nut. And this eejit Ellerton borrowed it from a mate, apparently. Just after he extracted his homework from the dog
Maybe, maybe not. Prednisone is certainly commonly used for mouth ulcers...google just told me that with a 2 sec look. Maybe you know the full details of the case, but without that, none of us can know whether he needed it or not. And Kenalog is/was often used very effectively for seasonal allergies too. Not as sledgehammery as it appears.
It just seemed bizarre to me that a rider gets a 2 year ban from a Port Talbot Wheelers 25 TT. It's about as fish-and-chipper as you can get. I wouldn't care less if I saw riders popping speed on the start line in an event like that.
Did you know that Ellerton was tested as a result of a tip off?

UKAD knew that but gave him 2 years instead of 4 due to lack of "intention" :rolleyes:
A tip off? Ooh Intrigue. Was it like a jilted lover stabbing him in the back sorta thing? A Port Talbot Wheelers revenge tragedy?

4 years would be way over the top though. Any ban is over the top IMO. It's just minor league TT's. What about some novel punishment instead? Make him race wearing floral skirts and bowler hats or something?

Minor infringements for minor riders are taken a little too seriously I think...
 
Aug 14, 2015
245
0
3,030
Re:

Wiggo's Package said:
So amateurs get a free pass?

OK.....
More a case of UKAD fiddling while Rome burns (or Manchester (Kil)burns?). Great news now that UKAD has rid the professional ranks of doping that it has resources to spare to chase down masters.
 
Jul 21, 2016
913
0
0
Re:

Wiggo's Package said:
So amateurs get a free pass?

OK.....
Banishings don't achieve anything, other than for appearances only. So why not be novel instead?
Get rid of Strict Liability banishings. Get rid of all banishings. My floral dress and bowler hat punishment was obviously facetious but you could do something in that spirit, like stop him using tri-bars, not officially register his time etc. Either way, it's socially inclusive punishment. The pariah thing is unnecessary. Let the guy continue racing if he wants to, at that level it's a social thing more than anything.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
Re: Re:

Dan2016 said:
Wiggo's Package said:
So amateurs get a free pass?

OK.....
Banishings don't achieve anything, other than for appearances only. So why not be novel instead?
Get rid of Strict Liability banishings. Get rid of all banishings. My floral dress and bowler hat punishment was obviously facetious but you could do something in that spirit, like stop him using tri-bars, not officially register his time etc. Either way, it's socially inclusive punishment. The pariah thing is unnecessary. Let the guy continue racing if he wants to, at that level it's a social thing more than anything.
can you google translate English > Clockwork Orange?
 
Jul 21, 2016
913
0
0
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
Dan2016 said:
Wiggo's Package said:
So amateurs get a free pass?

OK.....
Banishings don't achieve anything, other than for appearances only. So why not be novel instead?
Get rid of Strict Liability banishings. Get rid of all banishings. My floral dress and bowler hat punishment was obviously facetious but you could do something in that spirit, like stop him using tri-bars, not officially register his time etc. Either way, it's socially inclusive punishment. The pariah thing is unnecessary. Let the guy continue racing if he wants to, at that level it's a social thing more than anything.
can you google translate English > Clockwork Orange?
Yarbles?

Pretty polly pretty polly
Babooshcka Lizzy

(I've no idea what you're on about blackcat :D A cryptic reference to rehab hypocrisy I'm guessing?)
 

Irondan

Administrator
Moderator
Re: Re:

Dan2016 said:
blackcat said:
Dan2016 said:
Wiggo's Package said:
So amateurs get a free pass?

OK.....
Banishings don't achieve anything, other than for appearances only. So why not be novel instead?
Get rid of Strict Liability banishings. Get rid of all banishings. My floral dress and bowler hat punishment was obviously facetious but you could do something in that spirit, like stop him using tri-bars, not officially register his time etc. Either way, it's socially inclusive punishment. The pariah thing is unnecessary. Let the guy continue racing if he wants to, at that level it's a social thing more than anything.
can you google translate English > Clockwork Orange?
Yarbles?

Pretty polly pretty polly
Babooshcka Lizzy

(I've no idea what you're on about blackcat :D A cryptic reference to rehab hypocrisy I'm guessing?)
Only a privileged few truly understand the teachings of la pussie noir, apparently you're not one of them (for that matter neither am I). :)
 
Jul 21, 2016
913
0
0
Re: Re:

Irondan said:
Dan2016 said:
blackcat said:
Dan2016 said:
Wiggo's Package said:
So amateurs get a free pass?

OK.....
Banishings don't achieve anything, other than for appearances only. So why not be novel instead?
Get rid of Strict Liability banishings. Get rid of all banishings. My floral dress and bowler hat punishment was obviously facetious but you could do something in that spirit, like stop him using tri-bars, not officially register his time etc. Either way, it's socially inclusive punishment. The pariah thing is unnecessary. Let the guy continue racing if he wants to, at that level it's a social thing more than anything.
can you google translate English > Clockwork Orange?
Yarbles?

Pretty polly pretty polly
Babooshcka Lizzy

(I've no idea what you're on about blackcat :D A cryptic reference to rehab hypocrisy I'm guessing?)
Only a privileged few truly understand the teachings of la pussie noir, apparently you're not one of them (for that matter neither am I). :)
:D

he's testing us testing him. it's zeno's paradox game theory babooshka dolls innit. babushka babooshka alliterationz

#zeno's_babooshka
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY