• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Brits don't dope?

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty obvious to me you two should stop the back and forth bickering before it get's out of hand. Either respond to the post and address it's points or not post anything at all. No need to try to get the last word, It's rather childish.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Here's a question for you: Why do you think that Walsh didn't learn a lesson about sniffing the posterior of a cyclist claiming to be clean after he wrote Roche's books and was proved a fool?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Here's a question for you: Why do you think that Walsh didn't learn a lesson about sniffing the posterior of a cyclist claiming to be clean after he wrote Roche's books and was proved a fool?

I will respond to yours.

Firstly, the sins of Roche can't be put on to Froome when Walsh has his personal dealings with him and then deciding whether to accept the offer to help with the book. Of course Walsh could be wrong just like he was with Roche, I never denied that once on here. Again, that's not the point being made. I don't buy into your claim that he has somehow completely turned a blind eye to things that maybe untoward happening at Sky as a result of him ghost writing Froome's book. That's the original point of the discussion which you brought up. Hence, why the Roche example is highlighted. I also think an article after his ITS book was released where he heavily criticises the team for JTL and the hiring of Rogers over his past links to Ferrari/Freiberg further prove it. I don't think Brailsford or Fran Millar would have been happy either with a picture of Rogers in a Sky kit and Wiggins in his yellow jersey together sprawled across a broadsheet paper above the piece in question. This is why I don't think it will be any different with Froome.

Walsh has done a book with Paula Radcliffe. We know about doping in athletics and this book was done at the height of his work with Lance. So to say doing a book now with Froome is out of the ordinary where he wouldn't have done it before and has somehow changed from the Lance days, is plain wrong.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Walsh missed loads of dopers at Sky. Not just Rogers and JTL. Servais Knaven still works for Sky and look where he rode and his results.

Walsh is not digging at all into Sky.

My guess is SundayTimes warned Walsh off doping stories on Sky unless it was inevitable. He will never get another job like the one he has at Times, those jobs no longer exist. He is 59 and probably wants to retire from sports journalism with ST and receive a decent pension. He could've stayed away from cycling, but he didn't and this will tarnish his reputation.

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Walsh missed loads of dopers at Sky. Not just Rogers and JTL. Servais Knaven still works for Sky and look where he rode and his results.

My guess is SundayTimes warned Walsh off doping stories on Sky unless it was inevitable. He will never get another job like the one he has at Times, those jobs no longer exist. He is 59 and probably wants to retire from sports journalism with ST and receive a decent pension. He could've stayed away from cycling, but he didn't and this will tarnish his reputation.

Bartalucci, Possoni, Cioni...it still baffles me how Porte hasn't attracted greater scrutiny considering he was one of Contador's top domestiques.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
I will respond to yours.

Firstly, the sins of Roche can't be put on to Froome when Walsh has his personal dealings with him and then deciding whether to accept the offer to help with the book. Of course Walsh could be wrong just like he was with Roche, I never denied that once on here. Again, that's not the point being made. I don't buy into your claim that he has somehow completely turned a blind eye to things that maybe untoward happening at Sky as a result of him ghost writing Froome's book. That's the original point of the discussion which you brought up. Hence, why the Roche example is highlighted. I also think an article after his ITS book was released where he heavily criticises the team for JTL and the hiring of Rogers over his past links to Ferrari/Freiberg further prove it. I don't think Brailsford or Fran Millar would have been happy either with a picture of Rogers in a Sky kit and Wiggins in his yellow jersey together sprawled across a broadsheet paper above the piece in question. This is why I don't think it will be any different with Froome.

Walsh has done a book with Paula Radcliffe. We know about doping in athletics and this book was done at the height of his work with Lance. So to say doing a book now with Froome is out of the ordinary where he wouldn't have done it before and has somehow changed from the Lance days, is plain wrong.

That wasn't my point at all. My point is that Walsh has a history of throwing his journalistic integrity away to make a buck. That he later anguishes over his decision is obvious, but as I said, you'd think he'd learn a thing or two from being burned. What I also opine is that he certainly takes a much more aggressive stance on people when they aren't friends of his...

As to your point about Froome, here's some other questions (one of which you still haven't answered): Why would he take a chance on someone, that even you admit he doesn't really know, when his lifetime friend Roche burned him so badly? Why would he, in light of the massive amount of information we've learned about the doping in professional cycling, so unquestioningly accept the premise that his new homeboys are clean, considering that their performances are on par with the worst doped performances in cycling's history?

Walsh shows an incredible lack of judgment and inquisitiveness when it comes to anyone who isn't Lance Armstrong. In some ways, he's worse than Sally Jenkins. At least Sally remained somewhat consistent in her complete lack of journalistic integrity. Walsh does it, and then has to go try to cover his a$$, and then turns around and jumps right back into the same morass, pretending that this time, it's all different.

Stitch a flag with his picture on it and fly it high if you want, I don't care.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

Walsh doesn't dig into anything unless it's Lance Armstrong or an effort to cover the fact that he didn't do the work he should have done beforehand, and now wants to go to Italy to cover his very compromised a$$.

That's the thing that it so bothersome about "journalists" like Walsh, they're so eager to bet all the good interviews, that he doesn't really do any critical thinking or research until after it comes out that the guys he was lionizing were doping cheats. I'm sure Walsh loves to go to dinner parties and rehash the anecdotes he has when he rubbed shoulders with his heroes...unless your name is Lance Armstrong...

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Walsh doesn't dig into anything unless it's Lance Armstrong or an effort to cover the fact that he didn't do the work he should have done beforehand, and now wants to go to Italy to cover his very compromised a$$.

Why would he? Walsh is motivated by personal dislike, not the desire for a cleaner sport. He likes Brailsford, he likes Froome, so he'll turn a blind eye to the glaring inconsistencies at Sky. He says as much in his talks: both that he went after Lance because he just didn't like him, and that he's not a proper investigative journalist.

Either that or he simply can't be bothered anymore and is making a quick buck on thousands of idiots buying Froome's book before retiring. He'll still earn royalties when it's languishing in £1 bargain bins in 10 years.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Nathan12 said:
Why would he? Walsh is motivated by personal dislike, not the desire for a cleaner sport. He likes Brailsford, he likes Froome, so he'll turn a blind eye to the glaring inconsistencies at Sky. He says as much in his talks: both that he went after Lance because he just didn't like him, and that he's not a proper investigative journalist.

Either that or he simply can't be bothered anymore and is making a quick buck on thousands of idiots buying Froome's book before retiring. He'll still earn royalties when it's languishing in £1 bargain bins in 10 years.

Great post!

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Nathan12 said:

Dead on............

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Dead on............

He expressly says it in his talks. What's hilarious is he always follows this with, "Lance always said I we were two peas in a pod, but that's not true". of course, it's absolutely true. Two egomaniacs, out to get what they want from the sport for personal gains. I've always thought it: Armstrong and Walsh share the same intrinsic personality traits. As do Brailsford and Walsh.

Nathan12 said:
Bartalucci, Possoni, Cioni...it still baffles me how Porte hasn't attracted greater scrutiny considering he was one of Contador's top domestiques.
I'm sorry, what?!
I can't remember him being of any use for Contador in the 2 GT's they rode together. Even Kloostergaard was more useful. Porte was happy riding around, saving his bullets for the ITT's and not signing a new contract because he didn't like what Riis could offer him at the time.
Not that it matters but that's when I started to dislike him. And then he signed for Sky :D

Nathan12 said:
He expressly says it in his talks. What's hilarious is he always follows this with, "Lance always said I we were two peas in a pod, but that's not true". of course, it's absolutely true. Two egomaniacs, out to get what they want from the sport for personal gains. I've always thought it: Armstrong and Walsh share the same intrinsic personality traits. As do Brailsford and Walsh.

Love the way Lance has manipulated your thought process

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
That wasn't my point at all. My point is that Walsh has a history of throwing his journalistic integrity away to make a buck. That he later anguishes over his decision is obvious, but as I said, you'd think he'd learn a thing or two from being burned.

<snipped>

Walsh shows an incredible lack of judgment and inquisitiveness when it comes to anyone who isn't Lance Armstrong. In some ways, he's worse than Sally Jenkins. At least Sally remained somewhat consistent in her complete lack of journalistic integrity. Walsh does it, and then has to go try to cover his a$$, and then turns around and jumps right back into the same morass, pretending that this time, it's all different.

I'm of the opinion that Walsh doesn't actually much question what he's told by "insiders." For the Lance investigations, he had lots of info from Betsy and the LeMonds, and the other folks they put him in touch with. It seems like he pretty well ran with what they told him regarding Lance, without much fact-checking or questioning their truthfulness. Which worked out well when dealing with honest sources.

I don't really see what he's doing so differently with Sky now, just believing what his friends/sources tell him. Which won't work out so well if they are not as honest as say, a Betsy Andreu. He isn't going to question his friends. Which does not make him much of an investigator.

Also re Walsh - he gets so much praise for From Lance to Landis (which was a very good book), but that book was also largely based on LA Confidentiel, in which Walsh had the help of a good co-author. Also, with both those books, the publisher and authors expected to get sued, so there was a lot of going over the manuscript with a fine-toothed comb and requiring sources to go on the record, etc that was required by the legal team and publishing house. Those books were not rushed out, unlike the disappointing Seven Deadly Sins, which hurt Walsh's reputation.

Nathan12 said:

I always thought Betsy was more Lance's pod-mate than Walsh. :D

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
That wasn't my point at all.. My point is that Walsh has a history of throwing his journalistic integrity away to make a buck. That he later anguishes over his decision is obvious, but as I said, you'd think he'd learn a thing or two from being burned. What I also opine is that he certainly takes a much more aggressive stance on people when they aren't friends of his...

As to your point about Froome, here's some other questions (one of which you still haven't answered): Why would he take a chance on someone, that even you admit he doesn't really know, when his lifetime friend Roche burned him so badly? Why would he, in light of the massive amount of information we've learned about the doping in professional cycling, so unquestioningly accept the premise that his new homeboys are clean, considering that their performances are on par with the worst doped performances in cycling's history?

Yes, it was the point you were making. You can try and move the goal posts if you wish, but the whole discussion originates from this.

ChewbaccaD said:
Yea, because every "journalist" ghost writes a book for the subject of scrutiny...Walsh has become Sally Jenkins...:rolleyes:

Unlike you, I've answered the question posed to me and haven't ducked it.

How's that Horner flag going these days?

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Nathan12 said:

Scott SoCal said:
Dead on............

He hated Roche? Did he hate Michelle Smith? Where was his personal beef when he spoke out against FIFA corruption while the Sunday Times was under big criticism for it's timing of it during a World Cup nomination process involving England? The same with Linford Christie? What about Contador/Puerto? There's a common theme in all these stories. He has a big story at the end of the week coming out on corruption in British sport.

It's a complete myth to say he was all about Lance and a falsehood to say it was only due to his personal dislike. In the case of Michelle Smith, you couldn't meet a nicer athlete.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
Yes, it was the point you were making. You can try and move the goal posts if you wish, but the whole discussion originates from this.

Unlike you, I've answered the question posed to me and haven't ducked it.

How's that Horner flag going these days?

1. Put your fingers in your ears and yell it really loudly and it still doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. Something you should be used to.

2. Your question was ridiculous, and answering that he went to Italy serves no purpose to me as it doesn't really affect my point (a point you seem too thick to understand).

3. I only hoist Horner's flag because I like to see people like you foam at the mouth. The guys is a POS lying doper, but I sure would have loved to see him go at Froomedog. Fortunately, we have another POS lying doper who will challenge him (well, maybe not considering today's news, but we can all hope anyway) this July. Good to see the dogs all running together again. Pip pip, chereo old chap...

PS: Learn to read.
PPS: Have fun with your denial

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
gooner said:
He hated Roche? Did he hate Michelle Smith? Where was his personal beef when he spoke out against FIFA corruption while the Sunday Times was under big criticism for it's timing of it during a World Cup nomination process involving England? The same with Linford Christie? What about Contador/Puerto? There's a common theme in all these stories. He has a big story at the end of the week coming out on corruption in British sport.

It's a complete myth to say he was all about Lance and a falsehood to say it was only due to his personal dislike. In the case of Michelle Smith, you couldn't meet a nicer athlete.

It's not a complete myth, simply because Walsh himself admits as much in the talks he gives: he didn't like Lance, so he decided to pursue him. Which is fair enough- we're all swayed by our emotions. In my opinion, he's gone the other way with Sky and become far too close personally with members of the team, so that he can no longer report objectively. Like Armstrong in reverse, and as damaging as his pursuit of Lance was laudable because he's ignoring things that are staring the rest of us in the face. My point is about Armstrong and Team Sky, not Michelle Smith or Linford Christie or FIFA. Walsh is ghostwriting Froome' autobiography for God's sake- how on earth can he remain objective given that fact?

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:

3. I only hoist Horner's flag because I like to see people like you foam at the mouth. The guys is a POS lying doper, but I sure would have loved to see him go at Froomedog. Fortunately, we have another POS lying doper who will challenge him (well, maybe not considering today's news, but we can all hope anyway) this July. Good to see the dogs all running together again. Pip pip, chereo old chap...

PS: Learn to read.

So more or less an express admission of trolling? Come on, Chewie...