• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In case Simon's performances getting better has anything to do with age, would that automatically mean Adam will improve this year to? I mean, they are genetically identical, and they have always been on a very similar level in terms of strength before, so it would kinda make sense if Adam improves.
 
Gigs_98 said:
In case Simon's performances getting better has anything to do with age, would that automatically mean Adam will improve this year to? I mean, they are genetically identical, and they have always been on a very similar level in terms of strength before, so it would kinda make sense if Adam improves.
Are they, though? From what I understand they're actually fraternal twins, just looking somewhat alike.
 
RedheadDane said:
Gigs_98 said:
In case Simon's performances getting better has anything to do with age, would that automatically mean Adam will improve this year to? I mean, they are genetically identical, and they have always been on a very similar level in terms of strength before, so it would kinda make sense if Adam improves.
Are they, though? From what I understand they're actually fraternal twins, just looking somewhat alike.
They're not identical twins, so basically regular brothers born on the same day.
 
RedheadDane said:
Gigs_98 said:
In case Simon's performances getting better has anything to do with age, would that automatically mean Adam will improve this year to? I mean, they are genetically identical, and they have always been on a very similar level in terms of strength before, so it would kinda make sense if Adam improves.
Are they, though? From what I understand they're actually fraternal twins, just looking somewhat alike.
Seriously? They look absolutely identical to me
 
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Valv.Piti said:
Adam would have to improve a hell of a lot in order for him just to consider to attack in TdF..
I'm not so sure. As long as he doesn't get taken out by the Flamme Rouge again he should be fine.

Can he win the TDF? That's a different question.
The twins have definitely been let of the leash this year by the team, as I explained a couple of months ago. I expect a more attacking Adam Yates in the Tour.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Adam would have to improve a hell of a lot in order for him just to consider to attack in TdF..
Think you are under-rating Adam in the last 12 months - He's more confident in his ability and has been more attacking - In saying that, attacking will be difficult when you Ewan's sprint train as support - He'll have riders like Hayman, Ewan. Hepburn, Mezgec, Impey, Kluge and one support rider for the mountains - I suspect a stage win will be Adam's main focus.
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,019
0
0
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Adam would have to improve a hell of a lot in order for him just to consider to attack in TdF..
wow, attacking must be a pretty elite club when guys who can finish 4th on GC and have improved since (whilst all of the 'top dogs' seem pretty rubbish these days compared to the year he got 4th).
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,019
0
0
Re:

SlickMongoose said:
Perfectly timed sprint into the headwind today. Looks like the favourite for the Giro on this form.
Indeed, with this combo of field, parcours and current standings, frankly the only thing I'm scared of is a screwjob from his teammate.
 
Re: Re:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
SlickMongoose said:
Perfectly timed sprint into the headwind today. Looks like the favourite for the Giro on this form.
Indeed, with this combo of field, parcours and current standings, frankly the only thing I'm scared of is a screwjob from his teammate.
I don’t see that happening on that team, they seem like a really tight knit bunch. If Yates has the legs then i don’t see Chavez screwing him over, especially has Yates has sacrificed himself well for Chavez in the past.
 
Ultimately it will come down to Zoncolan and the ITT - Whoever leads after stage 16 will be the leader - The more interesting observation is Yates x 2 and Ewan are off contract and MS want to retain all three - Apparently a new sponsor is coming on board so a bigger budget for 2019 - I am unsure how MS can retain both Yates and Ewan, especially when Haig is coming along beautifully and should be targetting GC in the next year or two - This could only work if one of Yates x 2 and Chaves focuses on one week stage races and one day classics - And having a cashed up team like Trek Segafreddo adds to the equation.
 
If Yates has the legs he's had so far Chaves couldn't screw him over even if he wanted.

Truth is: Mitchelton-Scott is doing a great job in keeping both riders high in GC. Very sensible and bodes well for the third week.

Yates seems very very confident in the interviews with RAI.
 
Re:

Eli said:
Hoping Simon Yates wins the Giro now. Dude has been incredible thus far.
Same. He’s been fun to watch. I really do think he can win it. He seems to be really confident and I think they’ll scheme up some plans for the big mountains.
 

Eli

Feb 23, 2018
74
0
680
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
Eli said:
Hoping Simon Yates wins the Giro now. Dude has been incredible thus far.
If they can get Chaves and Co to work for the cause, He has got a big chance.

Very stylish on the bike too boot.

Same. He’s been fun to watch. I really do think he can win it. He seems to be really confident and I think they’ll scheme up some plans for the big mountains.
 
Aye, that was my thoughts too.

Listening to his speech patterns he sounds totally hyperactive. I find him really likeable, enthusiastic and warm. Really hoping that he knocks creepy Chris Froome out of the ring and becomes the top British cyclist.

And that is even before we compare their riding styles...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts