Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Blanco said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
For anyone aside Dumoulin it's simple. Attack from further out. Don't let Yates outpunch you.

Pinot, Pozzo, etc have to try something from further than 3km out.
They will, Zoncolan is around the corner, and there you haven't got teams, trains, super domestiques, it's every man for himself already at 8-9km to go. We'll see who's the best "real" climber there. Comparing to Zonc, every other mountain so far was a joke.
Though even the Zonc is not always the same. I looked up some previous results, sometimes huge gaps within the top 10 (up till 3/4 minutes), but sometimes the first 5 of the 'bigs' are still within 50s, with 4 within 20sec of eachother.

So it all depends..
Well 2014 is the outlier, the race was over and the break just sailed away. All other editions of Zonc from Ovaro has been aggressive ascents, especially the great 2010.
 
Re:

hrotha said:
We seriously need to stop calling them simply "Yates" in any context. Maybe if we stick to "Adam" and "Simon" it'll be easier to keep their results apart in my head.
In my opinion they should have their own threads. They're two separate people and will have their own careers with their own special experiences....
 
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Blanco said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
For anyone aside Dumoulin it's simple. Attack from further out. Don't let Yates outpunch you.

Pinot, Pozzo, etc have to try something from further than 3km out.
They will, Zoncolan is around the corner, and there you haven't got teams, trains, super domestiques, it's every man for himself already at 8-9km to go. We'll see who's the best "real" climber there. Comparing to Zonc, every other mountain so far was a joke.
Though even the Zonc is not always the same. I looked up some previous results, sometimes huge gaps within the top 10 (up till 3/4 minutes), but sometimes the first 5 of the 'bigs' are still within 50s, with 4 within 20sec of eachother.

So it all depends..
We'll have an aggressive race, no doubt. Everyone wants time on Dumoulin and will try to break him. Pozzo and Pinot will also try to test Yates on a real mountain. Lopez will try to win the stage and gain as much as possible on everybody. Formolo and Carapaz will try to sneak away when main favorites are watching each other. So we will have plenty of guys wanting to race hard. I'm expecting big gaps.
 
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
hrotha said:
We seriously need to stop calling them simply "Yates" in any context. Maybe if we stick to "Adam" and "Simon" it'll be easier to keep their results apart in my head.
In my opinion they should have their own threads. They're two separate people and will have their own careers with their own special experiences....
Then imagine the confusion when people accidentally start posting in the wrong threads. :D
 
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Jspear said:
hrotha said:
We seriously need to stop calling them simply "Yates" in any context. Maybe if we stick to "Adam" and "Simon" it'll be easier to keep their results apart in my head.
In my opinion they should have their own threads. They're two separate people and will have their own careers with their own special experiences....
Then imagine the confusion when people accidentally start posting in the wrong threads. :D
The threads ought to be named:

"The Simon Yates is the new Adam Yates thread" and "The Adam Yates is the new Simon Yates thread".
 
Sep 17, 2014
917
0
0
Another great ride. I honestly thought he was about to crack when Froome went and he couldn't follow. It's a shame he couldn't quite close the gap in the last K.
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,391
0
0
Re:

SlickMongoose said:
Another great ride. I honestly thought he was about to crack when Froome went and he couldn't follow. It's a shame he couldn't quite close the gap in the last K.
Yep - but seemed very upbeat in interviews and team boss also talked about how they kept taking time every climb - feels like they know what they're doing and it's going to plan!
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
As said, the number 1 fav to win the Giro. After today more than ever. Seems to have limitless energy
I agree that Yates seems to have no cap on energy reserves. But now Froome is going to be an issue. If Froome cuts 90 seconds from Yates in the time trial, the pressure is on.
 
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I can't even remember the last time I saw a rider being able to attack nearly every mountain stage for so long (and be succesfull with that at the same time).
He's so strong and it all looks so effortless. Honestly can't see him crack. But if he wins, he truly deserves it! No hard feelings although I'd prefer Dumo or Tibo.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0

I will put a hole in heaven itself. Even if that hole becomes my grave,
as long as I break through, that is my victory!
Who do you think I am? I'm Simon.
 
Sep 17, 2014
917
0
0
Re:

Oude Geuze said:
Adam is the stronger climber right?
Not much in it really. It's dfficult to split them, although Simon has always been the more aggressive, and has obviously stepped it up this year.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS