• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Blanco said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
For anyone aside Dumoulin it's simple. Attack from further out. Don't let Yates outpunch you.

Pinot, Pozzo, etc have to try something from further than 3km out.

They will, Zoncolan is around the corner, and there you haven't got teams, trains, super domestiques, it's every man for himself already at 8-9km to go. We'll see who's the best "real" climber there. Comparing to Zonc, every other mountain so far was a joke.
Though even the Zonc is not always the same. I looked up some previous results, sometimes huge gaps within the top 10 (up till 3/4 minutes), but sometimes the first 5 of the 'bigs' are still within 50s, with 4 within 20sec of eachother.

So it all depends..
Well 2014 is the outlier, the race was over and the break just sailed away. All other editions of Zonc from Ovaro has been aggressive ascents, especially the great 2010.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Blanco said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
For anyone aside Dumoulin it's simple. Attack from further out. Don't let Yates outpunch you.

Pinot, Pozzo, etc have to try something from further than 3km out.

They will, Zoncolan is around the corner, and there you haven't got teams, trains, super domestiques, it's every man for himself already at 8-9km to go. We'll see who's the best "real" climber there. Comparing to Zonc, every other mountain so far was a joke.
Though even the Zonc is not always the same. I looked up some previous results, sometimes huge gaps within the top 10 (up till 3/4 minutes), but sometimes the first 5 of the 'bigs' are still within 50s, with 4 within 20sec of eachother.

So it all depends..

We'll have an aggressive race, no doubt. Everyone wants time on Dumoulin and will try to break him. Pozzo and Pinot will also try to test Yates on a real mountain. Lopez will try to win the stage and gain as much as possible on everybody. Formolo and Carapaz will try to sneak away when main favorites are watching each other. So we will have plenty of guys wanting to race hard. I'm expecting big gaps.

Jspear said:
hrotha said:
We seriously need to stop calling them simply "Yates" in any context. Maybe if we stick to "Adam" and "Simon" it'll be easier to keep their results apart in my head.

In my opinion they should have their own threads. They're two separate people and will have their own careers with their own special experiences....

Then imagine the confusion when people accidentally start posting in the wrong threads. :D

RedheadDane said:
Jspear said:
hrotha said:
We seriously need to stop calling them simply "Yates" in any context. Maybe if we stick to "Adam" and "Simon" it'll be easier to keep their results apart in my head.

In my opinion they should have their own threads. They're two separate people and will have their own careers with their own special experiences....

Then imagine the confusion when people accidentally start posting in the wrong threads. :D

The threads ought to be named:

"The Simon Yates is the new Adam Yates thread" and "The Adam Yates is the new Simon Yates thread".

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I can't even remember the last time I saw a rider being able to attack nearly every mountain stage for so long (and be succesfull with that at the same time).
He's so strong and it all looks so effortless. Honestly can't see him crack. But if he wins, he truly deserves it! No hard feelings although I'd prefer Dumo or Tibo.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
_101528450_simon_yates_epa.jpg

I will put a hole in heaven itself. Even if that hole becomes my grave,
as long as I break through, that is my victory!
Who do you think I am? I'm Simon.

TRENDING THREADS