Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How often do they get tested? Like, did Yates just ride the whole first week of the giro with coronavirus? The idea that this was responsible for his Etna performance is kinda shocking considering he could have infected the entire peloton since then
As I understand it, it takes a few days for the tests to be able to detect it. So I would guess that he probably had it at undetectable levels by the time the race started and passed the initial test. Probably wasn’t tested again until last night.

How often do they get tested? Like, did Yates just ride the whole first week of the giro with coronavirus? The idea that this was responsible for his Etna performance is kinda shocking considering he could have infected the entire peloton since then
They do temperatue checks thrice a day and when Yates had a mild elevation he got tested immediately, when one rapid test came back positive they immediately did another one and it was positive too.

I don't know how often they test the entire peloton but I reckon it's similar to the Tour i.e. rest day?

Reactions: Koronin
There is always the possibility of rider or staff member of Mitchelton, testing positive in the next few days,though i believe the rest of the peleton is safe. The positive test shows the covid protocols are working.

Time between now and Vuelta seems suuuper short to me. Overexertion with viral infections can ruin careers.
Depends on the nature of his infection I suppose, anecdotally some seem to go along fine and others it just completely knocks out with seemingly no prejudice. What my doctor said was ‘running it off’ as people do with sports injuries is the worst possible idea. Cyclists however seem like the most likely group to ‘play hurt’, but with 10 days away it certainly does seem like a bad idea.

If nobody else in the peloton has it, they got lucky, this is a bit of a disaster scenario.

Last edited:
I will be shocked if he turns up at the Vuelta. If he was tested because of an elevated temperature, it follows that he’s not asymptomatic and even if it stays mild I don’t see that it would be worth the risk.
I don't know if the standard national procedures apply here but normally if a person tests positive for COVID-19 in Italy he must stay quarantined for 14 days and can't leave the country. Vuelta starts in 10 days.

Reactions: Koronin
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
armchairclimber Professional Road Racing 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY