• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 65 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
How often do they get tested? Like, did Yates just ride the whole first week of the giro with coronavirus? The idea that this was responsible for his Etna performance is kinda shocking considering he could have infected the entire peloton since then

As I understand it, it takes a few days for the tests to be able to detect it. So I would guess that he probably had it at undetectable levels by the time the race started and passed the initial test. Probably wasn’t tested again until last night.

How often do they get tested? Like, did Yates just ride the whole first week of the giro with coronavirus? The idea that this was responsible for his Etna performance is kinda shocking considering he could have infected the entire peloton since then
They do temperatue checks thrice a day and when Yates had a mild elevation he got tested immediately, when one rapid test came back positive they immediately did another one and it was positive too.

I don't know how often they test the entire peloton but I reckon it's similar to the Tour i.e. rest day?

Reactions: Koronin
Time between now and Vuelta seems suuuper short to me. Overexertion with viral infections can ruin careers.

Depends on the nature of his infection I suppose, anecdotally some seem to go along fine and others it just completely knocks out with seemingly no prejudice. What my doctor said was ‘running it off’ as people do with sports injuries is the worst possible idea. Cyclists however seem like the most likely group to ‘play hurt’, but with 10 days away it certainly does seem like a bad idea.

If nobody else in the peloton has it, they got lucky, this is a bit of a disaster scenario.

Last edited:
I will be shocked if he turns up at the Vuelta. If he was tested because of an elevated temperature, it follows that he’s not asymptomatic and even if it stays mild I don’t see that it would be worth the risk.
I don't know if the standard national procedures apply here but normally if a person tests positive for COVID-19 in Italy he must stay quarantined for 14 days and can't leave the country. Vuelta starts in 10 days.

Reactions: Koronin
Well, Simon isn't exactly Mr. Consistency. He was certainly in top form in the Giro '18, yet he was the most inconsistent of all.

Simon is consistent in his form when he reaches a certain level of condition - The 2019 Giro in which he finished 8th is a perfect example - He held that level even up to the stage 21 ITT - It's not like he had particularly good days or bad days - An inform Simon is reflected in his ITT - Deadset average at TA and Catalunya.

Simon is consistent in his form when he reaches a certain level of condition - The 2019 Giro in which he finished 8th is a perfect example - He held that level even up to the stage 21 ITT - It's not like he had particularly good days or bad days - An inform Simon is reflected in his ITT - Deadset average at TA and Catalunya.
You think Simon was on top form in 2019 Giro? I don't know. If he was consistently on top form throughout the 3 weeks, I'd rank him a bit higher than 8th place. Like, you know, winning the Vuelta or dominating the Giro for 2 and a half weeks the year before.

Maybe you are right he isn't at his absolute peak, but I think he is close enough to challenge for the win in the upcoming mountain stages in Catalunya.

Reactions: Poursuivant
You think Simon was on top form in 2019 Giro? I don't know. If he was consistently on top form throughout the 3 weeks, I'd rank him a bit higher than 8th place. Like, you know, winning the Vuelta or dominating the Giro for 2 and a half weeks the year before.

Maybe you are right he isn't at his absolute peak, but I think he is close enough to challenge for the win in the upcoming mountain stages in Catalunya.

I clearly stated that Simon wasn't in top form at the 2019 BUT his form was at a consistent level - Posted before TA that he was underdone, hence his inconsistent results, combined with an unsuitable parcours - It is possible he could win a stage at Catalunya but it is consistency which he needs - His ITT at Catalunya was about 20 to 25 seconds below expectations. Let's see what happens this week and maybe the brothers can race each other up a mountain.

Reactions: claude cat