Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Luigi_Max

BANNED
Aug 9, 2014
131
0
0
dirkprovin said:
Fair point re Henao but he already had a year in senior ranks whereas this is essentially Yates' first year out of juniors/amateur ranks. What I expect may happen is that if Chaves/Yates happen to be felling "up for it" on any particular stage, the team may give them maximum protection possible up to "the business end".
No, from the comments I expect Chaves to try and stay with the favorites for as long as possible on each stage and see how he goes.
Whereas I expect Yates to perhaps target a stage or two, perhaps try and get into the break, and spend most of the rest of the time riding conservatively.
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,391
0
0
ILovecycling said:
Yeah,it looks like they want stage hunting from him as chavito will be only gc rider (which is not good decision imho)
They're asking Chaves to GC? Weird considering all the races they did together this year, Yates managed GC and Chaves had bad days but some flashy stage wins
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
dirkprovin said:
His brother essentially admitted it was "time to pull the plug" when they did so at 2nd rest day of the Tour. Adam is unlikely to have a high GC placing even if he rides "up to his 2014 form' as:

- the first stage is a Team Time Trial. Whilst OGE is one of the top teams in this discipline, they are not sending many of their "main men" to the Vuelta so there is likely to be a time loss.

- Even if OGE has a good ride; at this point of his career Yates' TTing is a weakish link and he is unlikely to be able to hold-on for race distance if they're going for a good one.

- Stage 10 is a 30km TT. For the reason stated above, he's likely to shed some more minutes.

TBH, both he and Chaves are likely to have shed a far degree of time by half distance. This will probably give them more leeway for breakaways but the main rationale for selecting Yates is getting exposure to GT racing; which is another step up on anything else he's ever raced before. Any success and positive exposure he may gain (as was the case w Simon at the Tour) will be a bonus.

I think OGE will want to get both Yates through the season in sound health and fitness; then they have a preparation for next year which allows for the step up in miles that will equip them to finish a GT.
Vuelta '12 Final GC
1 Alberto Contador (ESP) Team Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank 84h 59' 49"
2 Alejandro Valverde (ESP) Movistar Team + 1' 16"
3 Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP) Team Katusha + 1' 37"
4 Chris Froome (GBR) Team Sky + 10' 16"
5 Daniel Moreno (ESP) Team Katusha + 11' 29"
6 Robert Gesink (NED) Rabobank + 12' 23"
7 Andrew Talansky (USA) Garmin-Sharp + 13' 28"
8 Laurens ten Dam (NED) Rabobank + 13' 41"
9 Igor Antón (ESP) Euskaltel-Euskadi + 14' 01"
10 Beñat Intxausti (ESP) Movistar Team + 16' 13

Even if he'll lose 5 minutes in TT's it shouldnt bother him too much,if he will climb like a colombian,he has a decent shot at top15
Waterloo Sunrise said:
They're asking Chaves to GC? Weird considering all the races they did together this year, Yates managed GC and Chaves had bad days but some flashy stage wins
Yes,they are.;)
 
Mar 13, 2009
2,890
0
0
I've often wondered what is the best way to get young talents into GT GC riding. Quintana was a domestique for Valverde at the Vuelta at 22. Ullrich did the same for Riis at 22 riding to 2nd. Schleck rode to 2nd at the Giro at 21. The 3 of these riders had never ridden a GT before. Ullrich was still riding at the top I suppose you could then make comment on how good this was for their career overall, but a riding hard for 3 weeks at 22 certainly isn't without precedent.
So ride easy and attempt to finish only, ride hard as a domestique for big name, ride for a GC result yourself, chase stages...I don't know.
Honestly I'd have Yates ride for GC, if it's too hard he can always stop.
 

Luigi_Max

BANNED
Aug 9, 2014
131
0
0
Waterloo Sunrise said:
They're asking Chaves to GC? Weird considering all the races they did together this year, Yates managed GC and Chaves had bad days but some flashy stage wins
Chaves is older is the logic, whether it is good logic I do not know.
 
karlboss said:
I've often wondered what is the best way to get young talents into GT GC riding. Quintana was a domestique for Valverde at the Vuelta at 22. Ullrich did the same for Riis at 22 riding to 2nd. Schleck rode to 2nd at the Giro at 21. The 3 of these riders had never ridden a GT before. Ullrich was still riding at the top I suppose you could then make comment on how good this was for their career overall, but a riding hard for 3 weeks at 22 certainly isn't without precedent.
So ride easy and attempt to finish only, ride hard as a domestique for big name, ride for a GC result yourself, chase stages...I don't know.
Honestly I'd have Yates ride for GC, if it's too hard he can always stop.
Some have hit the pro ranks earlier and thus have the necessary race miles in their legs far earlier. May also hinge on the varying levels of physical maturity. With the Yates'; this is their first year in pro ranks so they just haven't the race miles in their legs at this point.

GC at a 1-week tour and at a GT are totally different matters so TBH, GC for either is frankly pretty far fetched. Simon showed in the Tour that he was frequently struggling to hold the tail of the peleton when "the hammer went down" and it's likely both Adam & Chaves will find this out for themselves.
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,391
0
0
Looks like he would have been part of a stage win in his first GT stage if they weren't all trying to protect Chaves' phantom GC effort.

EDIT - tight at the very least, with Movi
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Looks like he would have been part of a stage win in his first GT stage if they weren't all trying to protect Chaves' phantom GC effort.

EDIT - tight at the very least, with Movi
they wouldnt be anywhere near Movistar.
Once they fight for GC,they have to ride like that,and ttt is part of the race.
 
while his talent could even make him top 5 this vuelta already, i agree that chavito is very fragile, not reliable yet for GC. but with experience, he will soon know how to stay in the peloton and will become a force
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,391
0
0
ILovecycling said:
they wouldnt be anywhere near Movistar.
Once they fight for GC,they have to ride like that,and ttt is part of the race.
They were already anywhere near despite the fact that every time the TV showed them in the 2nd half there was a gap in front of Chaves someone else had to roll in to and close.

This is not a natural part of riding for GC. It is a natural part of riding for GC with a weak rider who can't hold a wheel.
 
Waterloo Sunrise said:
They were already anywhere near despite the fact that every time the TV showed them in the 2nd half there was a gap in front of Chaves someone else had to roll in to and close.

This is not a natural part of riding for GC. It is a natural part of riding for GC with a weak rider who can't hold a wheel.
Chaves kind of missed a roundabout which cost them next to nothing. The second time looked like he was coming off the front when a team mate let a gap. He saw that and actually pushed on again to try and close it for his team mate who was in trouble.
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
jens_attacks said:
while his talent could even make him top 5 this vuelta already, i agree that chavito is very fragile, not reliable yet for GC. but with experience, he will soon know how to stay in the peloton and will become a force
yeah,bit of duartish rider
 
ILovecycling said:
yeah,bit of duartish rider
nah duarte is lazy and complete unproffesional, chavito not from what i've read. he's an amazing talent, works hard too but he still has to learn how to ride and save energy in a peloton. also if he crashes, usually he breaks bones, tiny and fragile little colombian. but he will improve at this too and in my opinion he will climb at least as good as nairito
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
jens_attacks said:
nah duarte is lazy and complete unproffesional, chavito not from what i've read. he's an amazing talent, works hard too but he still has to learn how to ride and save energy in a peloton. also if he crashes, usually he breaks bones, tiny and fragile little colombian. but he will improve at this too and in my opinion he will climb at least as good as nairito
I meant only he is fragile as duarte,not those other aspects;)

edit: but yeah,thats true :)...he has even better race weight than Nairo,but I dont think he will be ever that good in tt
 
Only watched the last lap or so, but Simon nowhere to be seen in Alberta. Haven't looked at the profiles. Is he just stage hunting or a bit out of form?

Noticed Adam at the back at fair bit today. Could be a good time for an assault with the GC guys maybe waiting for the third week?
 
Sep 14, 2011
1,980
0
0
Not sure if Adam is deliberately saving himself so he is fresh to go for a stage win or if he has had enough racing for the year. At the moment I would say the latter looks more likely, hope I am wrong.
 
postmanhat said:
Only watched the last lap or so, but Simon nowhere to be seen in Alberta. Haven't looked at the profiles. Is he just stage hunting or a bit out of form?

Noticed Adam at the back at fair bit today. Could be a good time for an assault with the GC guys maybe waiting for the third week?
Simon, Finished Stage 1 on same time as winner (top 36).
 
Bernie's eyesore said:
Not sure if Adam is deliberately saving himself so he is fresh to go for a stage win or if he has had enough racing for the year. At the moment I would say the latter looks more likely, hope I am wrong.
Definitely think it's the latter. Suspect they'll pull the plug at or before rest day 2. May also be finding that GT racing is generally a level of intensity on a daily basis well above regular top level racing; Simon was often "hanging on for dear life"/off the back when the hammer went down at the Tour.

Simon went stage-hunting in Alberta; move didn't stick but snagged enough KOM points to grab the jersey.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS