• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
CLaEO7JWcAAlknF.jpg:large

Simon Yates ‏@SimonYatess 19m19 minutes ago
Just so i'm clear - I'm not saying what happened is correct, it shouldn't have happened to ANYBODY or in ANY race......

Simon Yates ‏@SimonYatess 19m19 minutes ago
but you cant say things like "we've been robbed" and " i was going to win" when the race wasnt over.

Simon Yates ‏@SimonYatess 18m18 minutes ago
It just decredits the victory, and i think its quite disrespectful. #opinion

Re: Re:

irondan said:
TMP402 said:
Hmm. Not sure Simon should get involved. The win speaks for itself.
But if it were my brother I would point out the arrogance of BMC too. I mean seriously, if anything GVA was going to finish 2nd. One TDF stage victory doesn't change his 'runner up' status. :rolleyes:

But in a sprint between Adam Yates and GVA? I'd back GVA with about 90% certainty. But given how close Adam was, maybe he'd have gone straight past him, I don't know.

I think it's pretty low from both BMC and GVA. Greg obviously would have finished second given Sagan wasn't riding (hell I'd bet in a one man race that Greg would still somehow finish second) :p

100% they should be angry at the organisers but they should not be disrespecting the victor, especially when they only had a lead of around 1 or 2 seconds.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Greg would have clearly won. He's just better than Yates. Still, I suppose pretending otherwise would have been more appeasing.

Feeling sorry for Greg, he doesn't win that much despite his talent and that would have been an important win in the bag.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Greg would have clearly won. He's just better than Yates. Still, I suppose pretending otherwise would have been more appeasing.

Feeling sorry for Greg, he doesn't win that much despite his talent and that would have been an important win in the bag.

That is of course, just a guess masquerading as 'FACT'.

We don't know either way, but Greg had a lead of around 2 seconds at the moment he was hit, with the indication being that he was defending a lead previously gained rather than still going away. Given Yates only had 4 seconds on the pack at the top, I'd say it was a less than 50% chance GVA was still away at the top.

But if you want to find a GVA thread you can expand.

Re:

SeriousSam said:

Yeah, more than likely GVA would have won, but certainly no guarantee. Anyway, it would have been fun to see it play out. What a shame.

All the controversy about the idiot on the motorbike aside, it really was a great performance by AY. You only have to look at the names of the riders in the chase group to appreciate just how good a win it was. That was a collection of hilly classics royalty. They'd have caught him if they'd worked together, but that's simply a function of having a 6 to 1 advantage. He was stronger than any of them on the climb and that speaks of a very big future.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Pricey_sky said:
Adam Yates looks to target stage race success next year:
http://trib.al/RWmUpVZ

Orica seem to enter so few races outside the world tour that they get a great schedule by default. 4 week long stage races, the Ardennes & TDF for Simon this year.

Actually their calendar this year is very different to previous years. No Tour of California, no Tour de San Luis, no Tour of Slovenia.

Whether this was by design (not seeking the invites) or not receiving the invites is unknown ? Whilst the Tour of Norway was of some value, am struggling to see any other value than commercial for Korea. They've traditionally raced quite well (top 10 GC & stage wins) at California so one would've expected the organisers would've had them back ahead of Drapac !

dirkprovin said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Pricey_sky said:
Adam Yates looks to target stage race success next year:
http://trib.al/RWmUpVZ

Orica seem to enter so few races outside the world tour that they get a great schedule by default. 4 week long stage races, the Ardennes & TDF for Simon this year.

Actually their calendar this year is very different to previous years. No Tour of California, no Tour de San Luis, no Tour of Slovenia.

Whether this was by design (not seeking the invites) or not receiving the invites is unknown ? Whilst the Tour of Norway was of some value, am struggling to see any other value than commercial for Korea. They've traditionally raced quite well (top 10 GC & stage wins) at California so one would've expected the organisers would've had them back ahead of Drapac !

Tour of Korea fits into the scheme of things seeing that Ewan is of Korean heritage - Its gotta be related to sponsorship.

TRENDING THREADS