• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 28 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Dissapointing yes but he burnt himself out in the first bit, third behind dumoulin and porte. He's been really smart in his climbing and has yet to be dropped by Bardet, Aru, Quinana... I think he will hold the podium, Mollema seems more likely to slip off, I don't think Bardet can challenge or Quintana, Aru is a way back which leaves porte.

With the race won, Sky won't care about the likes of Porte, Bardet, Aru having a little fun so I doubt we're going to see a procession up the final climb. Adam's likely to have to to respond to a lot of attacks, or perhaps initiate some himself?

Judging by today, he's beginnig to weaken. But as you say, it could be because he went off ridiculously fast

He's way off the map in terms of his previous experience so anything's possible. In the past, when he's been dropped, he's always paced himself back to limit losses or get back in contention. That could be in his favour tomorrow as Aru and Bardet might overcook themselves going too early. Sky will definitely let Porte go and he's probably the biggest threat. I wonder if Sky will be minded to do Adam any favours?

Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
What is the probability now of Yates blowing up at some point?

I don't think anyone honestly could say, we've been in uncharted territory for the past week and a half. Of course there's a chance but he's only 2 stages away from a podium.

He faded today, but I think it's because he went off a little too fast, probably a bit of inexperience if anything. The stage before he only lost time to Porte and Froome having attacked the Aru/Quintana group.

He's paced himself well on the climbs and that has helped. Don't go too far into the red following, just ride his own tempo.

Re:

hrotha said:
What a pathetic rider. He didn't even TRY to get on the podium. His strategy was "Maybe someone will crash?".
True, but I think he has been on his limit for days now. Saying somebody has to attack lying on your sofa with a beer in your hand is a bit easy, isn't it? But knowing that Quintana was feeling completely ***, Yates should have tried something.

He only lost his podium because of a mechanical. Bear in mind he was on the attack when brought down by a bouncy castle, he could be forgiven for not taking any more risk than necessary. 4th and white jersey is a great result...and he actually deserved the podium spot more than Quintana, who had a stronger team around him and managed to grab third by not attacking or taking risks at all.

Re: Re:

hrotha said:
PremierAndrew said:
hrotha said:
What a pathetic rider. He didn't even TRY to get on the podium. His strategy was "Maybe someone will crash?".

No, his strategy was 'let's make sure I don't crash and lose my white jersey + top 5'
So attack on the climb.

Maybe he was on the limit on the climb. He struggled to respond to the attack on the kick up to the line as well

PremierAndrew said:
hrotha said:
PremierAndrew said:
hrotha said:

No, his strategy was 'let's make sure I don't crash and lose my white jersey + top 5'
So attack on the climb.

Maybe he was on the limit on the climb. He struggled to respond to the attack on the kick up to the line as well
Then go on the descent after all. The risk/reward ratio is insanely in favour of attacking when you're trying to get on the podium.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Billie said:
"Finishing fifth? No one remembers that. I want to win a stage"

Congrats on his fourth place :eek: The guy talks ****

Riders have long been signalling the 'victory of death' virtue but it's always been cheap talk. A high GC position at the Tour is very desirable.

TRENDING THREADS