• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Ramon Koran said:
I would rather he finishes fourth and grows off the dissapointement than become another of those young riders on the podium at 23-24 and become content and not grow off the dissapointement. He has a great chance at the olympics why risk it on a podium when he will still stand atop the champs elysee as best young rider? A podium place is so overatted please xplain to me why he sould be going for third yet neither quinatna went for second or porte went for fourth?
What's more he's by far the best gc rider of the post 90 generation and will win plenty of gt's a crash today could have ended his career with all that ahead of hi give him a break
I'm impressed you know this guy's future.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Ramon Koran said:
So in your opinion showing ambition is attacking in a wet dangerous descent to maybe get on the podium at the risk of losing his white jersy that will give him a podium anyway plus any chance at the olympics and maybe ending his career?
Again, what makes you think he'd be risking so much? Ending his career? Give me a break. That can happen at any time and no one is saying he should have turned kamikaze on the descent.
It is time to stop invading this thread with such comments, we should applaud his performance
Screw that, this is not your personal playground. Negative opinions are every bit as relevant as positive opinions.

I applaud his athletic performance. I cannot applaud anything else.

Getting on the podium is a pretty big deal, whether you want to admit it or not.
To get away from movistar and ag2r it would have to be a kamikaze descent they would not have let him go easily, of course negative comments have a place but they are unfortunatly invading his thread after he has finished fourth at the age of 23 in the toughest gt out there, I fond it sad that so few people are applauding the brilliant performance in his first race aiming for gc, and a podium spot is overatted in the last few years the likes of peraud, pinot have stood on it while alberto hasn't this decade. Do we remeber anymore the riders who finished thirds than the rider wo finishes fourth? No, we remebr the riders for their wins not podiums a win in the white jersey is bigger IMO than a podium spot.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

hrotha said:
yaco said:
And you still waste bandwidth with nonsensical posts. We are discussing real cycling not some fantasy game.

I have no idea why you follow cycling, seeing all your posts are negative.

Maybe take a break from cycling.
This is the thread about the Yates brothers, not about Hroða the forumer. :)

Writing your name like that doesn't make you the hero of an Icelandic saga, you know. :D

Yates had struggled for a couple of days, got dropped yesterday and couldn't do much to follow in the final charge to the end today. I don't think it's being overly soft to acquit him of a lack of ambition. He was clearly completely finished.

He did, of course, ride conservatively over the race as a whole, but as it was his first time anywhere near the pointy end of a GT, I can't really blame him. The main thing we learnt about Yates over the last three weeks is that he looks like developing into one of the best GC riders in the world.

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
The fact that he finished where he did after that crash with the 1k banner is incredible. If that was me I wouldn't want to get out of bed for at least a week. If that never happened who knows, he could have been on the podium.

Yes, plus the Ventoux stage being neutralised because of the incident really cost him as well. Quintana was suffering whilst Adam said he felt strong. He may well have gapped Nairo in the final 1.2k.

Ramon Koran said:
hrotha said:
Ramon Koran said:
So in your opinion showing ambition is attacking in a wet dangerous descent to maybe get on the podium at the risk of losing his white jersy that will give him a podium anyway plus any chance at the olympics and maybe ending his career?
Again, what makes you think he'd be risking so much? Ending his career? Give me a break. That can happen at any time and no one is saying he should have turned kamikaze on the descent.
It is time to stop invading this thread with such comments, we should applaud his performance
Screw that, this is not your personal playground. Negative opinions are every bit as relevant as positive opinions.

Getting on the podium is a pretty big deal, whether you want to admit it or not.
To get away from movistar and ag2r it would have to be a kamikaze descent they would not have let him go easily, of course negative comments have a place but they are unfortunatly invading his thread after he has finished fourth at the age of 23 in the toughest gt out there, I fond it sad that so few people are applauding the brilliant performance in his first race aiming for gc, and a podium spot is overatted in the last few years the likes of peraud, pinot have stood on it while alberto hasn't this decade. Do we remeber anymore the riders who finished thirds than the rider wo finishes fourth? No, we remebr the riders for their wins not podiums a win in the white jersey is bigger IMO than a podium spot.
In France, we remember Pinot for his 3rd place, not for his victory in the young rider competition. Because this is obviously a better achievement, against a much stronger field.

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Alexandre B. said:
Ramon Koran said:
hrotha said:
Ramon Koran said:

In France, we remember Pinot for his 3rd place, not for his victory in the young rider competition. Because this is obviously a better achievement, against a much stronger field.
Yes we do, and since then Pinot has failed since 2014 because the podium is overatted, pinot was overhyped since 2014 and the pressure has got to him he seems to be failing at the moment. Yates doesn't risk the overhyping because he didn't finish on the podium there for he won't become content and not try to improve.

Ramon Koran said:
Yes we do, and since then Pinot has failed since 2014 because the podium is overatted, pinot was overhyped since 2014 and the pressure has got to him he seems to be failing at the moment. Yates doesn't risk the overhyping because he didn't finish on the podium there for he won't become content and not try to improve.
Ah, we can't criticize Yates for not trying to get a few seconds to finish 2nd or 3rd, but we can diss Pinot.
Good of you to clarify this. Will try to remember in future posts.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Also he said Simon Yates would ride Vuelta a Burgos, CSS and then the Vuelta "at a very high level" (I think he means for Simon to either win stages or go for GC). Also seemed to suggest that next years Tour they will target more towards the GC side of things with Chaves and the Yates twins.

Re:

fungusbear said:
Also he said Simon Yates would ride Vuelta a Burgos, CSS and then the Vuelta "at a very high level" (I think he means for Simon to either win stages or go for GC). Also seemed to suggest that next years Tour they will target more towards the GC side of things with Chaves and the Yates twins.

Both A. Yates and Chaves have earned leadership, so it'll be interesting to see if they pick a leader, or if they just wait and see who drops first.

Re:

fungusbear said:

WIll Simon ride in support of Chaves or are they both leaders?

Think youll find that S.Yates main role at the Vuelta will be to support Chavez but have the freedom to chase a stage.

Yates suspension meant that OBE had to shift their riders around before and including the TdF. In effect Yates is replacing Plaza in the Vuelta. Chavez is the leader in the Vuelta.

As i posted a while ago the plan is for Chavez and both of the Yates to be leaders at GCs in 2017. The expectation is Chavez will ride the TDF but could chamge depending on profiles.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site

liamito said:
fungusbear said:

WIll Simon ride in support of Chaves or are they both leaders?

The way he spoke it seemed as if he would probably support Chaves but be expected to be up there and competitive on GC.

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Ramon Koran said:
I'm sure in the Orica team car and Adam himslef decided that the risk exceeded the reward. Seriously who cares who finished third in the tour only the winner counts, he's won the white jersey and finished forth, great winners like Alberto don't care about podiums nor should Adam, it seems to me that the biggest failures in modern cycling are those that are overjoyed with a podium (andy, nairo, pinot and maybe bardet).

Then overjoying the fourth place should be way worse. Who is gonna remember who ended 4th?. Once you have demonstrated that you could be with the great OC contenders in the climbs, it doesnt really matter in terms of prestige or wages if you end up 4th or you lose the place by risking to get a better prize (Zakarin). I would even say public actually remember the people who risks even if they failed.

Of course Yates has achieved a great result, but the temper he has shown sucks. He is just one more conformist rider in the bunch of "contenders". Just 20 secs, and he just said "surrender" not even trying once. I would call it "pathetic" of course, the attitude of course, not the effort.

RedSpirit said:
Ramon Koran said:
I'm sure in the Orica team car and Adam himslef decided that the risk exceeded the reward. Seriously who cares who finished third in the tour only the winner counts, he's won the white jersey and finished forth, great winners like Alberto don't care about podiums nor should Adam, it seems to me that the biggest failures in modern cycling are those that are overjoyed with a podium (andy, nairo, pinot and maybe bardet).

Then overjoying the fourth place should be way worse. Who is gonna remember who ended 4th?. Once you have demonstrated that you could be with the great OC contenders in the climbs, it doesnt really matter in terms of prestige or wages if you end up 4th or you lose the place by risking to get a better prize (Zakarin). I would even say public actually remember the people who risks even if they failed.

Of course Yates has achieved a great result, but the temper he has shown sucks. He is just one more conformist rider in the bunch of "contenders". Just 20 secs, and he just said "surrender" not even trying once. I would call it "pathetic" of course, the attitude of course, not the effort.

An inauspicious first post. Hoping it's an inomaly.