• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Adam was pretty disappointing today. Of course lots of other good riders performed worse than him but when you're in such a good position having hardly had to put your nose in the wind (unlike Thomas) it's a big disappointment to get dropped so quickly on the final climb.

JRanton said:
Adam was pretty disappointing today. Of course lots of other good riders performed worse than him but when you're in such a good position having hardly had to put your nose in the wind (unlike Thomas) it's a big disappointment to get dropped so quickly on the final climb.

I think sometimes people expect too much, Let's not forget today was a very tough race and many other favourites bombed out. He's 23 years old and showed himself well over a gruelling 250+km route.

JRanton said:

He was protecting Froome for a fair part of the second climb, and then seemed to be closing down attacks towards the top of it? Probably using up energy he didn't have to spare after the Tour.

Good couple of weeks in Spain for Simon, though getting dropped by Ben Hermans at Burgos suggests he's nowhere near top form. Will two weeks be enough to find his legs for the Vuelta?

Angliru said:
PremierAndrew said:
But don't let objectivity get in the way of your arguments
(But yes, Canc is a lot better than Wiggins)

This coming from the same person that insisted that Simon Yates has shown equal or more potential in the grand tours than Esteban Chavez but when questioned about this chose to not respond. Yes indeed, you are the poster boy for objectivity.

Huh? I chose not to respond as I didn't see it being questioned.

Now that you mention it, Chaves has faded badly in both grand tours where he's ridden for GC. Now we all know about Adam's potential at this point, and I'm assuming that you're not going to argue against my opinion that Adam has more potential as a stage racer than Chaves. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that
Now, Simon is slightly better suited to the Ardennes than the long grinds up mountains that you encounter in a Grand Tour. However, he has always been the better of the Yates twins. His 5th place at the Dauphine as a 22 year old last year showed that he had the potential to compete with the big names in the future up the climbs, and the only thing it didn't test was his recovery. Anyway, Simon has always been seen as the better of the Yates twins, and in fact, before the twins joined Orica, only Simon was initially offered a contract by Sky. Bare in mind that Chaves is two and a half years older, (and ok he lost a year and half to injury, but the Yates certainly have more potential)

Euhm, Chaves started two GT as main GC rider, he finished 5th (vuelta 2015) and 2nd (giro 2016), winning 2 stages in spain, wearing the red jersey for a couple of days, winning the queen stage this year in Italy and losing his pink jersey on the penultimate stage. Yates has shown nothing in GT. Sure the kid has potential, and he might reach Chaves level sooner or later.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Angliru said:
PremierAndrew said:
But don't let objectivity get in the way of your arguments
(But yes, Canc is a lot better than Wiggins)

This coming from the same person that insisted that Simon Yates has shown equal or more potential in the grand tours than Esteban Chavez but when questioned about this chose to not respond. Yes indeed, you are the poster boy for objectivity.

Huh? I chose not to respond as I didn't see it being questioned.

Now that you mention it, Chaves has faded badly in both grand tours where he's ridden for GC. Now we all know about Adam's potential at this point, and I'm assuming that you're not going to argue against my opinion that Adam has more potential as a stage racer than Chaves. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that
Now, Simon is slightly better suited to the Ardennes than the long grinds up mountains that you encounter in a Grand Tour. However, he has always been the better of the Yates twins. His 5th place at the Dauphine as a 22 year old last year showed that he had the potential to compete with the big names in the future up the climbs, and the only thing it didn't test was his recovery. Anyway, Simon has always been seen as the better of the Yates twins, and in fact, before the twins joined Orica, only Simon was initially offered a contract by Sky. Bare in mind that Chaves is two and a half years older, (and ok he lost a year and half to injury, but the Yates certainly have more potential)

I am still waiting to see what shows that Simon has proven to be a better grand tour rider than Chaves. Until he actually proves this, which he hasn't IMO (and performances in week long stages races is not proof), I can't see how you can comfortably have this belief.

I don't agree with you in terms of Adams having more potential than Chaves in grand tours. Equal potential yes.
All three were highly sought after talents. All three have so far lived up to the hype to differing degrees. It remains to be seen who will continue to progress, mature and grow to reach their full potential. They are all exciting young riders that I look forward to following in the future.

Anyway both Yates have resigned with OBE for the next 2 years.

Simon is very talented but lacks the drive of Adam - Simon needs to have a bigger off-season - Time will tell.

It's expected that all three will have a serious crack at the Ardennes in the next two years.

Simon is very talented but lacks the drive of Adam - Simon needs to have a bigger off-season - Time will tell.

It's expected that all three will have a serious crack at the Ardennes in the next two years.

Re:

yaco said:

With all three you mean Chaves as well?

I was a bit disappointed by Simon in Burgos, him and Chaves could be very interesting in La Vuelta, especially the latter admittedly.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

I was a bit disappointed by Simon in Burgos, him and Chaves could be very interesting in La Vuelta, especially the latter admittedly.

Each of them have the characteristics to go well in races like La Fleche Wallone so they will be given a chance.

Even considering Simon's suspension his form has been a touch disappointing so far in 2016 - He will need to do more training in the off-season - A chance he could ride in the Aussie summer to ensure he has a strong base by February.

yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

Each of them have the characteristics to go well in races like La Fleche Wallone so they will be given a chance.

Even considering Simon's suspension his form has been a touch disappointing so far in 2016 - He will need to do more training in the off-season - A chance he could ride in the Aussie summer to ensure he has a strong base by February.

This doesn't make much sense at all - his only significant race this year has been PN before suspension where he got a top 10 on GC, and then Burgos post suspension where he was 4 seconds behind the GC winner.

His build up to the season was built around a the month's he was suspended, but there's really been nothing wrong with his form either side and we'll see next week how he's going for his new target.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

This doesn't make much sense at all - his only significant race this year has been PN before suspension where he got a top 10 on GC, and then Burgos post suspension where he was 4 seconds behind the GC winner.

The key for Simon is a stronger off-season is build up to the season was built around a the month's he was suspended, but there's really been nothing wrong with his form either side and we'll see next week how he's going for his new target.

The key for Simon is a stronger off-season - You can't spend 6 weeks off your bike in this period - In other words, Simon needs to want it more - There is nothing surprising about this, as it takes some riders longer, to adapt to the rigors of WT racing - OBE is extremely confident that Simon will continue to improve.

Don't read too much into his performance at the Vuelta as he's not ideally suited to the shorter and steeper climbs of the race - Vuelta is Simon's introduction to 2018.

TRENDING THREADS