• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
First, let's see what '18 Quintana looks like...for the attacking, Quintana attacked on the Blockhaus last year, that's about it. Not even close. Simon Yates has a 80% chance to win Il Giro, at least. The three-stage stretch coming up is daunting. But with personal interests at stake, many yesterday foes will be his friend and do the work for him. As long as he sticks to Dumoulin's wheel, he's OK.

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
jaylew said:
del1962 said:
Simon Yates is much more an attacking rider than Quintana, though I think Quintana is the better climber, though not by much
Don't agree with this at all. We've seen Nairo attack many, many times in the mountains.

A rider of his ability should be attacking a lot more

Quintana often makes the ticky tack attacks then starts looking around and then if he does get away in a group he starts sandbagging. Contador won him the Vuelta but at least Quintana worked in the break that day.

PremierAndrew said:
jaylew said:
del1962 said:
Simon Yates is much more an attacking rider than Quintana, though I think Quintana is the better climber, though not by much
Don't agree with this at all. We've seen Nairo attack many, many times in the mountains.

A rider of his ability should be attacking a lot more
Possibly. Still, people have short memories and because his attacks haven't stuck as much lately, people forget earlier attempts and exploits. Neither Simon nor Nairo is a "result be damned, throw all caution to the wind" attacker like a Nibali or Contador, they're in a class with a ton of other riders who'll attack when they feel they have the legs to do it.

jaylew said:
del1962 said:

Simon Yates in this Giro was more aggressive than Quintana ever was. He attacked Dumoulin relentlessly, whenever occasion arose. That's something we never seen from Quintana, in fact he lost biggest race of his career because this same lack of attacking spirit and aggressiveness.

Blanco said:
jaylew said:
del1962 said:

Simon Yates in this Giro was more aggressive than Quintana ever was. He attacked Dumoulin relentlessly, whenever occasion arose. That's something we never seen from Quintana, in fact he lost biggest race of his career because this same lack of attacking spirit and aggressiveness.
You need to watch more races.

jaylew said:
Blanco said:
jaylew said:
del1962 said:

To be fair I can’t remember a race where Quintana attacked as much as Yates has. Though as RedRick said, that’s just one GT and not a big sample size.

Re:

Red Rick said:
http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/359334/trek-segafredo-maakt-werk-van-komst-simon-yates.html

Trek wants Simon Yates

According to Gazetto Dello Sport, Simon refused a contract offer of 2.5 million Euros per year from another team before the start of the Giro.

Dan Benson then tweeted that same team have been priced out with offers going above 4 million.

jaylew said:
Blanco said:
jaylew said:
del1962 said:

Enlighten me :rolleyes:

Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/359334/trek-segafredo-maakt-werk-van-komst-simon-yates.html

Trek wants Simon Yates

According to Gazetto Dello Sport, Simon refused a contract offer of 2.5 million Euros per year from another team before the start of the Giro.

Dan Benson then tweeted that same team have been priced out with offers going above 4 million.
He got offered 2.5 before the Giro?

Cycling team leader inflation is real.

Re:

Red Rick said:

Trek wants Simon Yates

Trek has got the budget to sign a top GC rider - MS may suffer from their own success - And it may get get worse if Ewan wins stages at TDF and A.Yates does a good GC - Have posted for a year that it would be a shock for MS to keep all three, even though it's likely they'll have a new sponsor and an extra budget - Gerry Ryan's son may be the saddest person in the universe.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Would Simon and Adam go to different teams though? Part of the reason they went to Orica was because Sky only initially wanted Simon
The Cycling Podcast had a short podcast about Yates today and they were saying (or rather Matt White was) that they have different managers/agents and they were offered to Orica independently. There was never a 'take both or neither' deal breaker. They would prefer to ride for the same team, but it's not essential.

Blanco said:
jaylew said:
del1962 said:

Dumoulin went into last year's Giro as an outsider, just as Yates did this year. Last year's Giro was billed as Quintana v Nibali and they spent most of the race just looking at each other and ignoring Dumoulin.

Similarly when Yates attacked on Etna to bridge to Chaves, there wasn't a great deal of reaction. The biggest test of a rider is winning when they are the favourite.

Parker said:
Blanco said:
jaylew said:
del1962 said:

Dumoulin went into last year's Giro as an outsider, just as Yates did this year. Last year's Giro was billed as Quintana v Nibali and they spent most of the race just looking at each other and ignoring Dumoulin.

Similarly when Yates attacked on Etna to bridge to Chaves, there wasn't a great deal of reaction. The biggest test of a rider is winning when they are the favourite.

They still didn't know who he was when he attacked and won the 3 stages after Etna then?

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Parker said:
Blanco said:
jaylew said:
del1962 said:

They still didn't know who he was when he attacked and won the 3 stages after Etna then?
I think you've missed the point.

Pricey_sky said:
To be fair I can’t remember a race where Quintana attacked as much as Yates has. Though as RedRick said, that’s just one GT and not a big sample size.
I think it's mostly a case of recency bias. We've forgotten how attacking Nairo has been because he's been off his game lately and Simon's exploits are super fresh in our minds.

Blanco said:
jaylew said:
Blanco said:
jaylew said:
del1962 said:

Enlighten me :rolleyes:
The fact is, Simon has attacked what, 3 times? 4? Nairo has attacked that many times and more in single stages of the Tour and Vuelta, the difference being Nairo was usually attacking a Froome at the top of his game so those attacks didn't always stick. I'd hardly say Simon has attacked "relentlessly" as he hasn't had to. Relentlessly is the number of times Nairo attacked in the 2013 and 2015 Tours. Nairo attacked 10-15 times in 2015 and 8 or 9 times in 2013. Same at the Vuelta he won. Hell, he probably attacked at the 2014 Giro as many times as Simon has this Giro.

In no way am I trying to slight Yates as he's been fantastic and has done exactly as he should have. I'm just saying that the narrative that Simon has been more attacking in this Giro than Nairo has ever been is completely ludicrous and 100% untrue.

Tour 2015 :surprised: You've got to be kidding! He lost it precisely because he didn't want to put everything on the line. He failed to do something similar to what Yates did on stage 15. Last time Nairo Quintana was an aggressive rider is Tour 2013. After that, he is becoming more and more conservative. He's quite often strongest rider in the mountains, but also quite often fails to materialize that.

TRENDING THREADS