• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Adam's had a lot of bad luck this season, so I don't think it's entirely fair to criticise him too much in comparison to his brother. But Simon has been absolutely fantastic to watch, everything you'd hope a young punchy climber would be.

Hopefully they're both in decent form for the worlds.

Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Froome Thomas and the Yates twins. What an embarassment of riches for that Worlds course
Colombia is still strongest by a good way, while France, Spain, Netherlands and possibly Italy are all capable of bringing deeper squads than GB. Then there’s Froome’s freshness and GB’s record at worlds (outside of 2011).

Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
PremierAndrew said:
Froome Thomas and the Yates twins. What an embarassment of riches for that Worlds course

Some interesting discussions to be had about leadership though.

Given they have shown no interest in riding for Sky, it's hard to see why either Yates will work for those 2 jokers. Worst case scenario they can ride as a 2 man team within a team and see if Dave refuses to give them bottles from the car.

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
PremierAndrew said:

Given they have shown no interest in riding for Sky, it's hard to see why either Yates will work for those 2 jokers. Worst case scenario they can ride as a 2 man team within a team and see if Dave refuses to give them bottles from the car.

Both Froome and Thomas ruled themselves out of WC anyway ;)

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
PremierAndrew said:

Well, given that neither Froome nor Thomas are riding the Worlds we can safely say that the Yateses won't be working for them.

RedheadDane said:
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
PremierAndrew said:

Well, given that neither Froome nor Thomas are riding the Worlds we can safely say that the Yateses won't be working for them.

I was going to ask if I’d missed something, because as you say Froome and G aren’t riding the worlds. The twins will be joint leaders.

Does Adam really have a better one day pedigree? Both have won two one day races, I think, and while San Sebastián is the biggest of the four, I don’t think winning it is enough to be placed on a different level. This worlds is so climbing heavy that Simon’s far superior mountain palmares may be more relevant anyway.

Today was Simon's 7th WT stage win this season. I'm 99% sure Valverde has won as many WT races in a season in the past, and possibly someone like Froome, Quintana and Bertie? Very impressive feat by Simon to win so many WT races as a climber, especially when they all came in stage races, rather than the Fleche/Liege/San Sebastian that faster-finishing climbers like Alejandro can win

Re:

JoeD1997 said:
Today was Simon's 7th WT stage win this season. I'm 99% sure Valverde has won as many WT races in a season in the past, and possibly someone like Froome, Quintana and Bertie? Very impressive feat by Simon to win so many WT races as a climber, especially when they all came in stage races, rather than the Fleche/Liege/San Sebastian that faster-finishing climbers like Alejandro can win
Froome had 6 WT stage wins and 3 GCs in 2013. Contador had 5 stages and 3 GCs in 2014. Nibali and Quintana never did better than 6 and 5 (stages and GC combined) respectively though, and interestingly Valverde's best is 'just' 4 stages, 2 GCs and 2 classics (in 2017). 7 stages might be a record for a climber.

Edit: Rodriguez had 7 stages (in addition to 2 classics) in 2012.

Devil's Elbow said:
JoeD1997 said:
Froome had 6 WT stage wins and 3 GCs in 2013. Contador had 5 stages and 3 GCs in 2014. Nibali and Quintana never did better than 6 and 5 (stages and GC combined) respectively though, and interestingly Valverde's best is 'just' 4 stages, 2 GCs and 2 classics (in 2017). 7 stages might be a record for a climber.

Edit: Rodriguez had 7 stages (in addition to 2 classics) in 2012.

He has 5 this year + 2 GC's

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Simon is definitely riding more controlled than the Giro. And this time he doesn't need 2 minutes before the time trial so he can afford to take it more controlled as well.

Still, if he's leading after TT expect him to get attacked from all sides by Movistar
He really needs his brother to stop being useless. He's been less useful so far than Antonio last year.

Simon needs a couple of big days out of Adam to finish this off for him now. There's no particularly impressive climber up against him based on the race so far, so he just needs a team-mate to keep a tempo going until a bit closer to the line and avoid getting worked over by the other contenders - managed it well on his own today, but a risky game to assume others will ride.

TRENDING THREADS