• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Pirazziattacks said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
In theory, losing eight seconds to Valverde in a finale like that is nothing to worry about. Valverde should beat Yates in that situation. Given Simon’s recent history though it is hard not to be a little concerned. Adam suddenly showing up is a big help.
It could be a bad sign, but something similar happened earlier in the race when he lost a few seconds to Quintana. At the Giro he struggled late in the stage to Prato Nevoso and lost around 30 seconds before collapsing the next day. I don't think he showed the same signs of fatigue here.

Well… I dare say it's pretty unlikely that he'd collapse on today's stage.

Re:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Rider of the year by a distance, and that's before he wins his first world title :p

Let's see if he can get tomorrow out the way first.

Besides, I think Froome (Giro win, Tour podium, the greatest ride in living memory), G (Tour, Dauphine, Alpe win, a puncture away from a T-A win) and Sagan (P-R, G-W, 3 Tour stages, Green) would have similar shouts.

That said, does anyone think Simon isn't the world's premier climber right now?

How would have guessed that a British rider, coming through the track system, would be the closest we would have to Contador? Hats off to Simon for this season, lots of inspiring rides in the Giro and now at the Vuelta. Just got a new fan even if by some bad luck he fails to win this Vuelta. Also would be a fitting World Champion :)

Watching the MS vid of the latest stage it seems pretty clear the plan was not to attack, conserve energy for tomorrow, and finish on (st) as the main protagonists. The lack of any in car footage from the attack to the finish seems to lend itself to Whitey and co. not approving of Yate's attack, even his brother said it was a surprise.

Re:

Inquitus said:
Watching the MS vid of the latest stage it seems pretty clear the plan was not to attack, conserve energy for tomorrow, and finish on (st) as the main protagonists. The lack of any in car footage from the attack to the finish seems to lend itself to Whitey and co. not approving of Yate's attack, even his brother said it was a surprise.

He just can't help himself.

SlickMongoose said:
Inquitus said:

You got to love that.

Really hope he wins the GC.

Poursuivant said:
SlickMongoose said:
Inquitus said:

You got to love that.

Really hope he wins the GC.

It's brilliant, hopefully he doesn't pay for it tomorrow, but at least he's shown he's still the strongest after losing a few seconds 2 days ago.

Tonton said:
I'm not one bit a fan of his, but he should have won Il Giro. Now is Simon's time. Good for him.

I actually came on here to say just such a thing. And I am a dumoulin and pinot fan.

Simon Yates seemed to be so easy today, and dominant.

And he was dominant at the giro until two days to go.

What if the collapse at the giro had literally nothing to do with struggling with three week racing. What if it was something else that brought him down. That would mean that Simon Yates could be the next dominant GT rider. And I doubt his brother is far behind (just unlucky this year). They are 26. They showed brilliance as amateurs at age 20-21.

Maybe we are seeing the coming of the cycling version of Williams sisters.

Only Bernal, perhaps, can really compete in the next few years, as long as they keep prioritizing climbing in GTs.

I was a little blown away with hoe completely dominant Simon Yates was (as he was at the Giro).

Of course, if he collapses tomorrow, please do not hold the above against me.

:)

Re:

Robert5091 said:
SHOCK HORROR! Yates (S) throws mud at Team Sky!
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/14/vuelta-a-espana-simon-yates-british-cycling-grand-slam
“It seems that young riders kind of get stalled there because of the hierarchy of Sky,” he said in 2013. “It’s hard for a young rider to get established. It was best for me to sort of break out and try something new. I do not want to get caught up in that web.”

So who's the spider?! :D

Pretty standard journalism from a national newspaper to just rehash stories from years ago. It's well know the reasons why they chose to go to Orica rather than Sky, and its undoubtedly been a very successful decision.

What a great ride yesterday. For some reason I've never been a fan of the Yates bros, but it's hard not to like and cheer for someone riding like Simon does.

By the way, I can't wait for next year's Tour. Froome/Thomas vs Dumoulin vs Roglic vs Yates sounds like a lot of fun.