• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Brothers in (crank) arms - Yates Discussion Thread

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah sure, if he now starts flying like in 2018, no problem, he can still win. He won't though. Don't get your hopes up just to get disappointed.
What baffles me is that he looked very strong in Tirreno and got dropped by many riders today. Even pre-2018 Yates would have arrived around Almeida or Konrad. And the reason why I'm saying he may be strong later on is, this was such a shocking performance that I don't think this is his real level. As I said, he was very strong on Tirreno.

And yes, the only chance of him winning is him flying 2018 style, and even then his chances of winning are still not big, that's why I said it is very small.

Reactions: Bolder
It's such a disappointing occurrence, last year he didn't show much before the Giro and then this year he swapped that around and both times he lost huge chunks on one day. Even if it was a bad day for him he should still not have lost that much. If he re-finds his form from early 2018 Giro or even what it looked like before the race he has a chance of winning but i cannot imagine Nibali or Fuglsang allowing him to grab huge chunks of time.

A top 5 and a stage win would be great, so hopefully he can bounce back and if not I want to see Howson, Haig and Hamilton given freedom to go for breaks themselves, even Meyer could have a chance on a less hilly stage.

Yates's relatively poor showing yesterday is also a mystery to me. It would seem to be the kind of climb that a guy who by all intents and purposes was in near-prime condition could have at least stayed with the likes of Kelderman. I don't think this was his real level, but as Bill Parcells, the old Giants NFL coach once said, "You are what your record says you are."

That's of course a tautology but it's especially applicable to this year. The racing is different, I like it, but we are seeing some atypical performances, that's for sure.

Yates's relatively poor showing yesterday is also a mystery to me. It would seem to be the kind of climb that a guy who by all intents and purposes was in near-prime condition could have at least stayed with the likes of Kelderman. I don't think this was his real level, but as Bill Parcells, the old Giants NFL coach once said, "You are what your record says you are."
According to Matt White, Yates didn't feel particularly good on stage 2 either.
He finished 19th in Agrigento, while many predicted he would be in the mix for the win.

What baffles me is that he looked very strong in Tirreno and got dropped by many riders today. Even pre-2018 Yates would have arrived around Almeida or Konrad. And the reason why I'm saying he may be strong later on is, this was such a shocking performance that I don't think this is his real level. As I said, he was very strong on Tirreno.

And yes, the only chance of him winning is him flying 2018 style, and even then his chances of winning are still not big, that's why I said it is very small.
I think this performance is more or less in line with his Lago Serru performance last year. That was also clearly his worst day (and was also the first real mountain test) but although he was better in the next stages he was still never the best climber and kept losing time to Nibali and Carapaz on almost every single mountain stage. I think that's what's gonna happen again. He will end up getting his top 10 spot, can maybe fight for a stage win but he won't suddenly climb better than Nibali and especially not by so much that he ends up winning the race.

According to Matt White, Yates didn't feel particularly good on stage 2 either.
He finished 19th in Agrigento, while many predicted he would be in the mix for the win.
I actually thought about whether him being clearly behind someone like Nibali on a stage that was supposed to suit him much better could be a sign for things to come, but eventually decided I'm just overreacting. Turns out my initial thought was right.

Didn't lose time, but getting dropped with 25 odd riders is not the best, with hardly any attacks either, just Jakob/Pozzo testing riders out. Yep he has a few days to get stronger, but the question is...is he on the way down form wise (as TT/ Tirreno should suggest) or up because the team saw how hard the last week was? They've F****ed it up either way..

It’s not just a miscalculation of form. Unless he’s spent the weeks in between Tirreno and now drinking beer on the couch as part of a new training regimen it would be quite a tricky accomplishment to miscalculate your form badly enough to go from smashing everyone uphill to being the 25th-40th best climber in a GT with a notably shallow field. If he was the tenth best climber or something, ok, but he’s too bad for that. There’s something else up, I suspect.

It’s not just a miscalculation of form. Unless he’s spent the weeks in between Tirreno and now drinking beer on the couch as part of a new training regimen it would be quite a tricky accomplishment to miscalculate your form badly enough to go from smashing everyone uphill to being the 25th-40th best climber in a GT with a notably shallow field. If he was the tenth best climber or something, ok, but he’s too bad for that. There’s something else up, I suspect.
Soemthing is clearly wrong, but he's so bad that you also really doubt he can regain top form even.

He was very average in the 2019 Giro rested up and rode well at the TDF - Think people aren't looking at the big picture - Yates is the highest paid rider in the team, is the most influential rider with management and they build a team around him wherever he races - Mitchelton needs to find a program that maximises his talent and riding GC for GT's is not the best option.

TRENDING THREADS