• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

bruyneel: lance losing time "defintely on purpose"....

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

ustabe said:
It's not about winning. It's about cancer awareness.

If by "cancer awareness" you mean "narcissism" then you have a point.

A

Anonymous

ustabe said:
How's this for a Hollywood ending? Lance sneaks away on the run into Paris and the whole peloton sits up and soft-pedals.

How about this one: Takes place in Federal prison

Bubba "So Lance, you wanna be mama, or you wanna be papa"

Lance "I guess I want to be papa"

Bubba "Alright then, come on down here and suck mama good"

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
ustabe said:
How's this for a Hollywood ending? Lance sneaks away on the run into Paris and the whole peloton sits up and soft-pedals.

I'd say there is a better chance of getting Ricardo Montalbon to do another episode of Fantasy Island.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
In my view, no "great" champion loses on purpose. If that is what Lance is doing then shame on him.

If there was no TTT last year, Lance would not have been on the podium. He showed last year, he is a horrible teammate. This year is is proving it again.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Have fun spanking it to that fantasy while the rest of the world watches Lance lose time "on purpose."

Moose, you miss the point. That would would be what is called a "Pyrrhic victory."

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Somewhat off topic but related to this post, I always thought that the teams themselves are responsible for their accommodations?

No - its actually written into the UCI rules that the organizer has to provide meals and housing for teams (riders and staff) at all international races - including the Tour.

Teams often don't know until 1-2 weeks before the race where they'll be staying. Sometimes you don't know until you get there. Sometimes you know your first hotel a couple of weeks out, and the rest is a mystery 'till you get there. It really varies.

Section 2.2.009 and 2.2.010 of the UCI Road rules lay out the stipulations of participation allowances and obligations of the organizer for housing teams.

This pez article gives a pretty good overview of how it works too.

ustabe said:
Moose, you miss the point. That would would be what is called a "Pyrrhic victory."

No, not really. Pyrrhus was trying to win the war. Lance gave up winning the war many stages ago. If he wins a stage it'll be because he's completely irrelevant to the GC. Which would actually be more a slap in the face to his legacy rather than any meaningful addition to his palmares.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
shouldawouldacoulda said:
No - its actually written into the UCI rules that the organizer has to provide meals and housing for teams (riders and staff) at all international races - including the Tour.

Teams often don't know until 1-2 weeks before the race where they'll be staying. Sometimes you don't know until you get there. Sometimes you know your first hotel a couple of weeks out, and the rest is a mystery 'till you get there. It really varies.

Section 2.2.009 and 2.2.010 of the UCI Road rules lay out the stipulations of participation allowances and obligations of the organizer for housing teams.

This pez article gives a pretty good overview of how it works too.

Ah thanks for that. Now of course your answer made me ask a follow-up question:

You mention that the organizers have to provide housing and meals. Just a few weeks ago we had a thread about Saxo's new kitchen bus, which makes me suspect that most teams provide at least their own meals. Does it happen that teams make their own arrangements and decline what is provided by the organizers?

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Lance gave up winning the war many stages ago. If he wins a stage it'll be because he's completely irrelevant to the GC. Which would actually be more a slap in the face to his legacy rather than any meaningful addition to his palmares.
So if it only underlined Lance's irrelevance, a stage win would be a Pyrrhic victory, no? You don't think the peloton would soft-pedal out of respect, do you? Look, even if Contador gifted Rodriguez stage 12, he honored him by making him work for it.

Don't fight, we're working the same side of the fence, we just misunderstood each other.

ustabe said:
So if it only underlined Lance's irrelevance, a stage win would be a Pyrrhic victory, no? You don't think the peloton would soft-pedal out of respect, do you? Look, even if Contador gifted Rodriguez stage 12, he honored him by making him work for it.

Don't fight, we're working the same side of the fence, we just misunderstood each other.

The only point I'm trying to make is that Lance is going for a win in a single battle, which is irrelevant to the war. Pyrrhus was fighting the battle with the intention of winning the war. Lance is in no position to do so anyway, so his victory would not even rise to the term Pyrrhic.

Sure, others want to win the stage, but the GC contenders only care about one thing: the GC.

Of course, in the end, I don't think our semantic disagreement really matters. Whether Lance wins a stage or not is entirely meaningless.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestones said:
Ah thanks for that. Now of course your answer made me ask a follow-up question:

You mention that the organizers have to provide housing and meals. Just a few weeks ago we had a thread about Saxo's new kitchen bus, which makes me suspect that most teams provide at least their own meals. Does it happen that teams make their own arrangements and decline what is provided by the organizers?

Yah, meals are provided. But teams have no control of the menu... so in bigger races they'll bring their own chef and prepare their own meals.

This creates a lot of wasted food at the banquet room :)

In smaller races teams will pretty much eat whatever the organizer has arranged. But at breakfast the soigneurs almost always bring a team food box - with cereal, jam, soya milk and whatever specific things the riders want. So the riders can pick and choose from the buffet and the team food box.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Vino will chase Lance down and slap him with Cancellara's downtube motor.

We can hope!

Vino doesn't need to whack LA with his front wheel after the race since he can kick his #%& during the race itself.