• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bruyneel - Sour grapes or what

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
It feels like it wasn't translated perfectly.

He may have a point about Contador's TT position though... even if it sounds like sour grapes. That's as good a reason as any for why he didn't put 2 minutes into Schleck like we all expected.

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
kurtinsc said:

He may have a point about Contador's TT position though... even if it sounds like sour grapes. That's as good a reason as any for why he didn't put 2 minutes into Schleck like we all expected.

he was criticizing Schleck's TT position - ironic when you consider how bad Armstrong's position is.

kurtinsc said:

The criticism was directed toward Andy. And even if he was attempting to criticise AC's TT position, it would be without a basis in fact.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
And even if he was attempting to criticise AC's TT position, it would be without a basis in fact.

Johan knows exactly what ACs position is and has wind tunnel stats and pictures for comparison from several years I would believe so he can compare any changes.

But Andy's is the one that's been criticized so much

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
ExRower said:
its obvious hog and lance got their panties in a bunch after this year's failure of a TDF for their team.

What are you talking about? They won the team classification! Could there be a more successful Tour than that?:D

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
ExRower said:
its obvious hog and lance got their panties in a bunch after this year's failure of a TDF for their team.

It's not the worst example of sour grapes ever seen. Frankly, given their abysmal role in the tdf, he could have done a lot worse.

World to LA/JB: Get off the stage !!!

Fade to irrelevance.

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
The Too-Old-For-Primetime Players should take their show to some of the many races in the US providing promotion for the sport here and more victories for these guys too far along to remember their wins from the 90's.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
outrage9 said:
Johan knows exactly what ACs position is and has wind tunnel stats and pictures for comparison from several years I would believe so he can compare any changes.

It sounded to me like Bruyneel was pitching himself for a job on Team Schleck once Radioshack pulls the pin on their crappy investment. "Hey Andy, I can get you that yellow jersey. Barney obviously doesn't know what a team leader should do or how to ride a TT. Sign me up!"

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
pedaling squares said:
It sounded to me like Bruyneel was pitching himself for a job on Team Schleck once Radioshack pulls the pin on their crappy investment. "Hey Andy, I can get you that yellow jersey. Barney obviously doesn't know what a team leader should do or how to ride a TT. Sign me up!"

Ahhhh .... you might have a good point there, P S. The guy was in the limelight waayyy too long and now that there is a shadow over the past accomplishments, I guess commenting on other rider's capabilities, positions etc. is like flashing your resume. But still, I was hoping for a bit more professionalism, but I guess too much to ask.

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Funny how winning the Team standing has never really been mentioned before... up until this years tour... Not to take anything away from winning the title. Now all of a sudden it was all Phil and Paul could talk about... as much as I love those two old Brits (me being one myself) Having RS as a major sponsor of the Vs channel made for some really pathetic **** kissing.

outrage9 said:

When I said there was no basis in fact to criticize AC, I meant that his aero position is pretty dam good. That if he was trying to make such a criticism it would be conjecture.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
When is cyclingnews going to post an article/interview with the winning director sportif, Martinelli? I don't recall a single quote, article or interview during the entire Tour. If there was one I must have missed it.

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
pedaling squares said:

That's what it sounded like to me to.

Johan wants the Schlecks on Team Radioshack.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
La Pandera said:
When is cyclingnews going to post an article/interview with the winning director sportif, Martinelli? I don't recall a single quote, article or interview during the entire Tour. If there was one I must have missed it.

I don't even think he was mentioned during any of the Versus broadcasts that I watched.

In fact, I think P&P referred to him generically only as "The Director"

Gotta love this stuff..

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
La Pandera said:

Very good point... I think the criticism should be more at the media outlets than JB himself.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
ridley said:
Article on CN: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-on-schleck-contador-and-armstrong

Not a word of congratulations to any of the podium finishers EXCEPT for his team that managed to win the team classification.

I had a little more respect for the guy but I think some of the Texan's arrogance rubbed off.

Nice job, Johan !!!

Before you get your knickers in a knot, check the source. CN copied those words from Bruyneel's column in De Telegraaf. In the same column he says: "Ik onthou van de Tour 2010 een aantal zaken. Contador is de verdiende winnaar. Natuurlijk krijgt het kettingincident nu hij de Tour met 39 seconden wint mythische vormen. Ik zie het als een toeval dat tegelijk een speling van het lot is."

Rough translation: "I will remember a number of things about the 2010 Tour. Contador is the deserved winner. Of course now that he's won by 39 seconds, the chain incident is going to be blown up to mythical proportions. I see that as a coincidence and a matter of fate."

CN did not choose to quote Bruyneel in full, that's all. But hey, keep hating, it's the CN forum way.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
The criticism was directed toward Andy. And even if he was attempting to criticise AC's TT position, it would be without a basis in fact.

He was his team manager for a number of years so there IS a basis in fact if he did. And he did look bad. If I were him I'd drop my saddle .5cm

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
ridley said:
Article on CN: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-on-schleck-contador-and-armstrong

Not a word of congratulations to any of the podium finishers EXCEPT for his team that managed to win the team classification.

I had a little more respect for the guy but I think some of the Texan's arrogance rubbed off.

Nice job, Johan !!!

Sorry but I have to agree. JB has always been a sinister and childish pro and person. I cannot recall the exact stages but it was during the Indurain years and JB drafted Indurain for 2 separates mountain top stage wins in the same TdF after drafting MI for an hour or so each time. Sure a pro might do that once due to team pressure to win, but twice in the same tour. How shallow.

As a related aside, what happened to all of JB's wisdom and planning and LA's unparalleled skill and innate physical superiority during Grand tours. Having read blogs for the last decade and watched all Tours since 1986 I have heard a lot of rancour. But, in the JB/LA years the rhetoric was 'overwhelmingly nauseating'.

JB is the "master DS, he is so smart and calculated able to make stage wins out of very little opportunity". Yikes what happened this year.

LA's unsupported but routinely cited non-sense..."most tested, biggest heart and lung capacity, grit, toughness, never ending fight, ability to rise to any situation to win, a man that plans every detail and more so than any other competitor, one who outworks and trains more than most riders"...on and on. None of that helped him at all. Even when being pack fill (his own slanderous comments of other riders) for several days doing as little work as possible, he cannot win a stage...oh, after Horner leads him out for 40+ Kms, Horner still beats him in a sprint. How telling of a broken man and sore loser, just like JB.

NW

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
yourwelcome said:
Before you get your knickers in a knot, check the source. CN copied those words from Bruyneel's column in De Telegraaf. In the same column he says: "Ik onthou van de Tour 2010 een aantal zaken. Contador is de verdiende winnaar. Natuurlijk krijgt het kettingincident nu hij de Tour met 39 seconden wint mythische vormen. Ik zie het als een toeval dat tegelijk een speling van het lot is."

Rough translation: "I will remember a number of things about the 2010 Tour. Contador is the deserved winner. Of course now that he's won by 39 seconds, the chain incident is going to be blown up to mythical proportions. I see that as a coincidence and a matter of fate."

CN did not choose to quote Bruyneel in full, that's all. But hey, keep hating, it's the CN forum way.

Thanks for the full quote.:) It's good to see he's taking the high road and not still holding a grudge from last year. Being the eternal skeptic, I can't help but think that he still holds out hope of working with Contador in the future. He admitted as much after things cooled down from last year's Tour. With no one on the team showing world beater talent or even potential on the current roster, his future prospects for success are pretty dim.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Neworld said:
JB is the "master DS, he is so smart and calculated able to make stage wins out of very little opportunity". Yikes what happened this year.NW

Didn't have a GC rider who could keep up with the others. Is that an unreasonable excuse? With a team routinely ridiculed as weak and over the hill, still won the team classification against some strong competition. Whether he's smart or not depends on your POV.

Neworld said:
LA's unsupported but routinely cited non-sense..."most tested, biggest heart and lung capacity, grit, toughness, never ending fight, ability to rise to any situation to win, a man that plans every detail and more so than any other competitor, one who outworks and trains more than most riders"...on and on. None of that helped him at all.

Given those quotes apply to the time when he won 7 Tours, I'm guessing it helped him a lot.

Not that I think those quotes should be believed*, but did Bruyneel really roll out these quotes this year? (for all I know he did, but I'd love to see the original interview).

*I'm sure Bruyneel or somebody else said these things, I believe that. Just saying that the quotes themselves are obviously PR from the past, and I'm not sure JB would have rolled those words out again this year.

TRENDING THREADS