• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Bruyneel suspended 2 months for black jerseys

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Umm, Susan, Bruyneel wasn't suspended solely for the black jerseys, but partly for sending inappropriate and unprofessional tweets. Which means lots of guys better be worried. :D

Uncle Pat's rule #2418.924a "Thou shalt not publicly criticize the UCI."

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Bruyneel/RS & Barredo punishment is beyond ridiculous, although I can't say that surprises me one bit.

Meaningless monetary fines and suspensions doled out many months after the incidents occur--what a fantastic deterrent!!

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i calculated it's 37,500 swiss francs total. armstrong should pick up every penny as it was his charity idea.

then, since the uci hates cancer it should give it right back to his charity.

this way, everything looks politically correct, fair and everyone is happy in the big cycling family :rolleyes:

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
python said:
i calculated it's 37,500 swiss francs total. armstrong should pick up every penny as it was his charity idea.

then, since the uci hates cancer it should give it right back to his charity.

this way, everything looks politically correct, fair and everyone is happy in the big cycling family :rolleyes:

good idea but perhaps a cancer foundation other than livestrong

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
good idea but perhaps a cancer foundation other than livestrong

may be. there is another way to look at it - may be by doing this the uci is collecting an unpaid favour - a 3d payment, promised but never delivered - in addition to the 100, 000 and the 25,000.

then, it's the slickest conspiracy involving pat, lance, and johan that even a kbg would get envious over and novi could never trace :)

imaginative payment methods between the same players;)

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I really find this whole "jersey gate" crap totally rediculous. Bruyneel & Armstrong pulled a publicity stunt to get some tv time and raise cancer awareness. Boo Hoo. Considering all the doping scandals that have dominated cycling tv lately, I would think that the UCI should be thanking them for some positive press.
nothing about the black jerseys was offensive or innapropriate so who cares. UCI should get the stick out of their **** and focus on cleaning up cyclings image and not worry about some jerseys.

that's just me.

Dimtick said:
I really find this whole "jersey gate" crap totally rediculous. Bruyneel & Armstrong pulled a publicity stunt to get some tv time and raise cancer awareness. Boo Hoo. Considering all the doping scandals that have dominated cycling tv lately, I would think that the UCI should be thanking them for some positive press.
nothing about the black jerseys was offensive or innapropriate so who cares. UCI should get the stick out of their **** and focus on cleaning up cyclings image and not worry about some jerseys.

that's just me.
From the press release, I get the impression that it's not about the stunt per se, but more about the stupid tweets Bruyneel placed afterwards.

A

Anonymous

So Barredo gets banned from Jan 1st through Jan and February.

Bruyneel conveniently gets banned for February and March allowing him to DS at Armstrongs final Tour DOwn under.

How convenient. How corrupt. You can just imagine it..

PM - look its like this Johann, we are going to have to be seen to do something, so how does January and February grab you.
JB - Januarys no good mate, got lance's farewall parade part V in austriala.. April and May are kinda clear for me though.
PM - April? Nah, no good mate, I had a plan to pay lance $2m appearance money to turn up in Flanders, mumble something about heritige, history, cobbles and how much he loves belgium and then ride the first 50k or so before having an "accident" and going home saying how dissapointed he was.
JB - Hmm, Mid april maybe, from just after Flanders to just before the Dauphine, would work out fine for me, we only care about the Tour de France after all.
PM - But then you miss the Tour of California
JB - ****, completely forgot that one what with last years occurances. Can we not just suspend the ban for a couple of years then everyone will forget about it, or we can just pretend we served it already.
PM - No can do mate, how about we say January and February and if anything comes up and it proves to be inconvenient just let me know.

Paddy, its time to go before your corruption makes us all fall out of love with this wonderful sport.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Suspended from what? Does the UCI know that there aren't really any cycling races in Feb. and March? Sort of like being suspended from high school in July I guess. The UCI should really start taking itself seriously.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
They should have limited (and increased) the fine to Bruyneel and Armstrong. Hopefully, as someone else said, Armstrong will cover the fines against his teammates.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Just being ordered by race officials to change jerseys or not strart the stage should have been ample response. I did this a couple of times when I officiated at USCF races.

If I remember correctly Cipo was forever being fined for wearing a unofficial jersey. But it gave him and his team great publicity.

theyoungest said:
From the press release, I get the impression that it's not about the stunt per se, but more about the stupid tweets Bruyneel placed afterwards.

...and I would think that in addition to the tweets the fact that they proceeded to still wear the black kit for the awards presentation after the initial warning, further thumbing their noses at the UCI.

python said:
may be. there is another way to look at it - may be by doing this the uci is collecting an unpaid favour - a 3d payment, promised but never delivered - in addition to the 100, 000 and the 25,000.

then, it's the slickest conspiracy involving pat, lance, and johan that even a kbg would get envious over and novi could never trace :)

imaginative payment methods between the same players;)

Actually that would be quite brilliant if it were true but of course we know they are above such sinister schemes.;)

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Good

I support the fines and suspensions.

UCI needs to show who is control and keep professional cycling "Professional".

I bet that RS general fund paid all the fines.

You can see how the cycling rouges can get out of hand real fast without proper direction.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
avanti said:
If I remember correctly Cipo was forever being fined for wearing a unofficial jersey. But it gave him and his team great publicity.
No, he was fined every time at the time. Cannondale gladly picked up the tab.

Dimtick said:

that's just me.

So next year if all teams turn up with unapproved jerseys you'd be happy about that too? What if those jerseys conflict with the major Tour sponsors who are fronting the money for the event? What if those jerseys start supporting controversial partisan issues or political groups? You'd be happy about that too?

Or should we just stay with the idea that the UCI has to approve all jerseys?

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I think it`s whats known as a "profesional fine"...ya know you`l get fined but the pay off makes it worth it.
Twas a typical disrespectfull act by GoldenBall and his crew.
Cipo did the same thing with regularity but he wasnt pretending to be a crussader of a worthy cause , didnt have the whole team do the same thing and had more class than to to try and hi jack the publicity from the Yellow jersey into Paris.
Pharmstrong has all the class of a Gerry Springer guest.:D