• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel/BMC for TdF

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Since Cadel is putting in 110% at one of the toughest Giros ever I don't think he can be competitive with the likes of AC,AS,LA for 3 weeks in July.

Furthermore I think we can scrap Allessandro Ballan and Karsten Kroon from BMC's Tour squad. I am not sure though on where Ballan stands and how Kroon is recovering, so if you have more info about that, please share.

Leaves us with Burghardt and Hincapie as the big names, Marcus Zberg as an experienced GT rider, maybe Steve Morabito as well, but other than that I don't see much GT experience in their line-up. (I could be wrong though, don't know all of their riders very well)
Does anyone know who they're planing to take to France?

All in all I don't think they'll have a strong squad, with two of their big names probably not being able to participate and Cadel being tired.

I wonder whether it was really worth inviting BMC to the Tour or whether it would have been better to ask Skil or Vacansoleil. Okay, they don't have a stronger squad either, but what's the point of inviting big names if they won't be able to do much. Of course no one could foresee the Ballan/Kroon situation.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Evans to forget about GC. Lose 30 mins in first week. Take out KOM, save energy for TT. Think this is something he worked out last year, to actually enjoy it too.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I kind of agree with you. Cadel does seem to be digging deep in this Giro, and if you look at how Denis Menchov rode in the TdF last year after an arguably less arduous Giro campaign then it seems unlikely that Evans can be competitive in July as well as May.

I think one of the Aussies here mentioned reading that Cadel was really targeting this Giro for his first GT win, and I think that makes a lot of sense for him. 2008 was probably his best chance at winning a TdF, with Contador now completely dominant and the progression of Andy Schleck as a GT rider I think Evans may struggle to even get back on the TdF podium before he retires.

BMC certainly lacks in depth, and if Ballan and Kroon are out then they will be looking very thin come July. I would expect them to show up and maintain a pretence of riding for Evans for the GC until he drops out of contention, and then start throwing guys in breakaways and chasing stages. I think it will be fun to see Big George in some breaks, and maybe even Cuddles getting in a move or two, but I don't think anyone is expecting BMC to really animate the race.

As for whether or not they will do more for the race than Skil or Vacansoleil would, it's hard to say. Those two squads would be throwing riders up the road from day one, whereas BMC will probably be a bit more conservative. I wouldn't say that BMC don't deserve a Tour spot, but I think Skil and Vacansoleil fans have the right to be a little miffed that an under-strength big budget squad whose leader isn't really targeting the race has been picked over them.

But then again, you never know. Cadel has surprised a lot of people so far this season, and he may well surprise me come July. I think third behind Contador and Schlecklet would be an excellent result for him, regardless of where he finishes this Giro.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
There aren't any out riders in the pro peloton, are there? I guess you wouldn't really expect a sport that is largely rooted in Catholic countries (Spain and Italy) to be exactly leading the charge against homophobia in sport, but it's still a shame.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
There aren't any out riders in the pro peloton, are there? I guess you wouldn't really expect a sport that is largely rooted in Catholic countries (Spain and Italy) to be exactly leading the charge against homophobia in sport, but it's still a shame.

A dutch politician suggested that the Giro should have podium-boys instead of girls in Amsterdam. First I thought it was ridiculous but he had a really good point: it would have worked against homophobia in sports and been a strong signals to homosexual athletes everywhere.

Too bad Zomegnan didn't accept. But as you said: mainly conservative Catholic countries ...

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Jamsque said:
.... Catholic countries (Spain and Italy) to be exactly leading the charge against homophobia in sport, but it's still a shame.

What??. I guess you have first hand experience living in Italy or Spain to support that old topic....it is like there is no homophobia in the NBA or in the cricket leagues because they are based in mostly protestant countries. I do not get it. BTW, gay people can marry in Spain since some years.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
khardung la said:
What??. I guess you have first hand experience living in Italy or Spain to support that old topic....it is like there is no homophobia in the NBA or in the cricket leagues because they are based in mostly protestant countries. I do not get it. BTW, gay people can marry in Spain since some years.

Homophobia is a huge problem in pretty much all sports in all countries, and Spain and Italy are by no means the worst offenders. I was just pointing out that I would not expect any sport with roots in strongly Catholic countries to be ahead of the curve in fighting it.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
issoisso said:
He's already had pink this year. Add the ladybug-jersey at the Tour de Suisse and he's the new icon for gay riders everywhere :)
When was he in Pink? Thought he's in red at the Giro.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Alex Moos has alot of GT experience, perhaps even done more than Cadel Evans, as a climbing domestique. He was on the Floyd Landis' Phonak team in 2006. He is however 37 and may not of done a GT since 2006 so whether he would be in consideration I don't know.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
When was he in Pink? Thought he's in red at the Giro.

evansd_600.jpg

Jamsque said:

62.5% of the world's countries where same-sex marriage is legal are countries where roman catholics are the largest religious group. One of them is one of the two countries you mentioned there.

LukeSchmid said:
Alex Moos has alot of GT experience, perhaps even done more than Cadel Evans, as a climbing domestique. He was on the Floyd Landis' Phonak team in 2006. He is however 37 and may not of done a GT since 2006 so whether he would be in consideration I don't know.

Along with Maos they also have Florian Stadler who is ok in the mts.Not sure where i read it but Kroon seems to think he can be ready for the tour?But definantley agree with all the other posters saying Cadel should forget GC ambitions and concen.trate on the Kom jersey.This Tdf is Contadors to loose.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
Along with Maos they also have Florian Stadler who is ok in the mts.Not sure where i read it but Kroon seems to think he can be ready for the tour?But definantley agree with all the other posters saying Cadel should forget GC ambitions and concen.trate on the Kom jersey.This Tdf is Contadors to loose.

The BMC website says Stalder specialities and strengths are one-day classics and sprinting. Is that correct? Kroon would be good for the Tour but it must be a bit dubious, he would need some racing beforehand. Mathias Frank might be an interesting selection, but might be a bit young at 23. Steve Morabito has done 1 GT for each of the last 4 years since turning pro so he quite possibly will on the team.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I'd guess Cadel will know already and we will see him doing all he can at the Giro. He's really won me over since his World's title and if he pulls off a Giro win without a decent team and against the might of Liquigas that must go down as some feat. Not sure he'd be bothered with the KOM in France but see him going for a stage win in same manner as Fleche.

LukeSchmid said:
The BMC website says Stalder specialities and strengths are one-day classics and sprinting. Is that correct? Kroon would be good for the Tour but it must be a bit dubious, he would need some racing beforehand. Mathias Frank might be an interesting selection, but might be a bit young at 23. Steve Morabito has done 1 GT for each of the last 4 years since turning pro so he quite possibly will on the team.

Your right Luke regaurding Stadler got him confused with Frank.Even if Kroon is only half fit then i would still gamble with him.The guy has loads of experience on those dutch roads early on in the tour.Have to agree Morabito will be on the sqaud.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
blaxland said:
Your right Luke regaurding Stadler got him confused with Frank.Even if Kroon is only half fit then i would still gamble with him.The guy has loads of experience on those dutch roads early on in the tour.Have to agree Morabito will be on the sqaud.

So possible team of

Cadel Evans
George Hincapie
Marcus Burghardt
Steve Morabito
Mauro Santambrogio
Karsten Kroon (if fit)
Alex Moos
Mathias Frank and one other.

Does anyone know what is happening with Ballan? Is he likely to be racing again soon or probably not for a couple of years

LukeSchmid said:
So possible team of

Cadel Evans
George Hincapie
Marcus Burghardt
Steve Morabito
Mauro Santambrogio
Karsten Kroon (if fit)
Alex Moos
Mathias Frank and one other.

Does anyone know what is happening with Ballan? Is he likely to be racing again soon or probably not for a couple of years

Re.Ballan not sure but would be of great help for Bmc.

TRENDING THREADS