• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel Evans, I told you it was his year.

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
cadel_vail.jpg

Cadel racing in Vail!

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
jobiwan said:
Of course I have nothing but ENORMOUS RESPECT for Cadel's ride. A deserving winner.

BUT....this thread was still started after Stage 1. STAGE 1!!!

It looks great now, but OP got lucky! :p

I have been a fan of Cadel's for as long as he has been racing, I raced in the same race as him once when he was just starting his international mtb career. I was in a different category at the time, it was a 4 stage mtb race over a weekend in Canberra in Aus.
So as to when I put up the first post is sort of irrelevant 'cos I was going to be supporting him anyhow.
But this last few years I have noticed his new mindset. Maybe perhaps people who do not follow his racing may not have noticed this because again they have just dismissed him going on past performances. I definitely do not know the man but did notice a more positive attitude. And his team has made a big difference too, a good supportive team if not the best is very important. In along tour like the tdf it is a virtual family whilst under huge amounts of stress.
So not Lucky in the fact that I support him anyway, & not luckey in the fact that I have noticed his new demeanor & understand the value of a close & dedicated team.
Perhaps his detractors will be supporting/predicting another triumph again next year perhaps not??? won't matter to me.
PS fan of Lance, AS, Robbie Mc, Cav & most of the pro riders.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
that image represents the sort of evans riding I resent.

sitting on gesink's wheel an entire climb, not pulling once and then have the bad taste to context the win.

The thing about Evans is, he's really ego centric and wants to win everything for him self. I actually find it strange Phil and Cuddles are friends and that Cuddles has actually helped Phil get some nice wins in the past. It's hard to find 2 more ego centric cyclists then those 2 in the peloton. And they'll be riding in the same team next year :p But for some reason I can't explain, they're friends and work well together. So why not.

That sort of riding is still there in Cuddles. And you can't really blame him for that imo.

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
OHH lorrd.
Permanent Evans Avatar for moi :eek:

Congrats Evans, I underrated your abilities and you are a worthy winner.

I have the Avatar, just trying to find out how to post it up here!!!

El Pistolero said:
The thing about Evans is, he's really ego centric and wants to win everything for him self. I actually find it strange Phil and Cuddles are friends and that Cuddles has actually helped Phil get some nice wins in the past. It's hard to find 2 more ego centric cyclists then those 2 in the peloton. And they'll be riding in the same team next year :p But for some reason I can't explain, they're friends and work well together. So why not.

That sort of riding is still there in Cuddles. And you can't really blame him for that imo.

Maybe he was a sprinter in a previous life ? Gilbert definitely strikes me as egocentric and seems to lap up the attention. Evans to me seems more awkward and quiet. Not sure why you would think he wants win everything for himself but isn't that his job anyway to get wins for the team. Just like any other team captain ? Even though Evans is a bit eccentric he has a lot of self belief. To me that's not egocentric.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Maybe he was a sprinter in a previous life ? Gilbert definitely strikes me as egocentric and seems to lap up the attention. Evans to me seems more awkward and quiet. Not sure why you would think he wants win everything for himself but isn't that his job anyway to get wins for the team. Just like any other team captain ? Even though Evans is a bit eccentric he has a lot of self belief. To me that's not egocentric.

All his team mates and ex team mates call him egocentric. And they're the same as the team mates Phil has now. They really have a lkot of stories about him :p

He really is ego centric. Obviously I'm basing my opinion on his (ex) team mates as I don't know the guy personally.

movingtarget said:

I think Evans has always been very competitive. Perhaps because his palmarès wasn't what it should have been, he'd be chasing wins and going deep into the red in minor events when he didn't have the form to win, but then taking too much out of himself to truly have it when he hit the big events that he was targeting, and running out of gas.

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
All his team mates and ex team mates call him egocentric. And they're the same as the team mates Phil has now. They really have a lkot of stories about him :p

He really is ego centric. Obviously I'm basing my opinion on his (ex) team mates as I don't know the guy personally.

Only child syndrome..... enough said!:eek::eek::eek: