• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel Evans, I told you it was his year.

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
The shoe is on the other foot now, Cadel is well positioned, & the others have only lost time, at least they don't have a broken arm.
This first stage is as my earlier predictions (few months ago) have panned out. Given a bit more luck Cadel can again, yes again contend for a TDF win like he did during his other two 2nd placed TDF's, 'cos he has all the other attributes.
In this 1st stage his team played perfectly & at the finale his tactics were impeccable.
Cadel Evans is a great tDF contender & has a great chance of winning, even if his media personality is not that of the all conquring popular high school captain.

Reactions: Cookster15
May 27, 2010
Visit site
cadel was impressive yesterday and his team did well to position him well and they looked very strong. cadel performed beyond my expectations plus he was a bit caught out when canc attacked. But its a bit to early to say if he can win. I certainly hope so.

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
As an Oz fan,of cycling and Oz cyclists in general,I'd love to see Cadel win.But I'm not going to get too excited until I see how he goes uphill,and in particular how he climbs compared to Alberto.

Dermie said:
The shoe is on the other foot now, Cadel is well positioned, & the others have only lost time, at least they don't have a broken arm.
This first stage is as my earlier predictions (few months ago) have panned out. Given a bit more luck Cadel can again, yes again contend for a TDF win like he did during his other two 2nd placed TDF's, 'cos he has all the other attributes.
In this 1st stage his team played perfectly & at the finale his tactics were impeccable.
Cadel Evans is a great tDF contender & has a great chance of winning, even if his media personality is not that of the all conquring popular high school captain.

It's just that these short uphill finishes really suit him. That has always been the case in the last couple years.

Just wait until we get to the mountains. ;)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dermie said:

LOL, lets not get too ahead of ourselves but yes he has a great chance to win this year. So far so good but a lot of racing to go. He has a team that really backs him. BMC and in particular Schar and Hincapie were excellent.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
LOL, lets not get too ahead of ourselves but yes he has a great chance to win this year. So far so good but a lot of racing to go. He has a team that really backs him. BMC and in particular Schar and Hincapie were excellent.

the team yesterday was great on the flat, dont forget burghardt too:)

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

you telling someone to get off Evans' junk is, well funny funny shi....why because there is only room for one?

Reactions: Cookster15
May 27, 2010
Visit site
Boeing said:
you telling someone to get off Evans' junk is, well funny funny shi....why because there is only room for one?

dont be so harsh on ACF. He is not that a big fanboy as some people say he is, there are much worse fanboys on this forum.

auscyclefan94 said:

Cadel chances were back in 2008, without AC and with Andy losing 9 minutes, there is no way he'll win, none whatsoever.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
red_flanders said:
It's day one.

Exactly. Yesterdays type of stage was his (Cadel) bread and butter, if he wasn't in the top three or four something would have been wrong. He got 3 seconds on Schleck 1 & 2, Basso and co and was fortunate to get a minute something on Contador, a guy who in all probability will still put three or four minutes or more on him by the end of the race.

Early days.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just one stage but as a Cadel fan I am excited that he has made such a great start to this years tour. Look out for him on stage 4 and on Saturdays stage to Super Besse. They should suit him just like yesterdays finish did.

Then.... well, things get a little nervous if you are an Evans fan as the high mountains approach. He hasn't looked real good on the longer climbs this year (or the last few years), in fact, he has never looked good on a long climb, but man, what a fighter he is. Go Evans, and no matter what happens, I will sit glued to my TV and continue to YELL FOR CADEL!!

May 27, 2010
Visit site
FabulousCandelabra said:
1 day down and he's looking very hopeful for the top 5... assuming nothing bad happens in the next 20 days...

hey good to see you back. I find you name very amusing! and your post calling spartacus fancy pants cancellara.:)

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Based on Evan's performance yesterday and the form of some of his rivals over the last few weeks, I would tentatively make a punt on a top 5 for him. Yesterday's finish suited him better than other GC contenders, so purely on the backing of that it's too early to call. But when you combine Evan's strong showing with the patchy form of A. Schleck and the potential Giro weight in Contador's legs, as well as the possibility that Wiggins has peaked too soon, the Garmin boys are solid top teners but nothing more (and they're down already), Sanchez having dropped over a minute before the TTT, Basso's apparent non-existent form, Radioshack's relative mediocracy in GTs of late, T. Martin's lack of climbing prowess, Van Garderen's inexperience at Tour level, Kreuziger having done the Giro... well, Evan's starts to look like a solid bet.

Bet he crumbles in the first mountain stage ;)

luckyboy said:
It was looking quite good for Cadel until we figured out that Andy got the lead group's time.

Anyway 1'17" isn't enough for him.

Having 6 seconds in Andy, Ivan and the RS boys isn't as good as it could be. U have to remember by the end of tommorow He will probably have a small disadvantage to these guys. I fully expect him to do well here actually I put a bit money on him to podium. whats is more exciting for Cadel is just how well the BMC boys worked for him yesterday.

Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
Stage 1 was good for Cadel but it doesn't change the fact the Contador and A.Scheck are at their best clearly stronger climbers than Cadel. The only way Cadel is going to win this Tour is if Contador and A.Schleck do not produce their best in the mountains or we get more incidents like yesterday that cause them to lose time. I think at best you could make an argument that Cadel is the third best rider in the field but there could be good arguments made for at least Basso, Samu Sanchez and Gesink as well that they are better.