• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel Evans on 2012 TdF favorites : No contador among the main contenders??

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
yeah I didnt think about the event being the next day.

Will definitely not be him then :eek: ... Sally Pearson might be a good call.

As to the event - what are the chances of Matt White learning from the Worlds and selecting Renshaw????????

SURELY it would have to be something along the lines of
Goss
Renshaw
Evans
Bobridge
Porte

Gives them options for the TT ... workhorses for the RR and a sprinter and leadout

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
AussieGoddess said:
yeah I didnt think about the event being the next day.

Will definitely not be him then :eek: ... Sally Pearson might be a good call.

As to the event - what are the chances of Matt White learning from the Worlds and selecting Renshaw????????

SURELY it would have to be something along the lines of
Goss
Renshaw
Evans
Bobridge
Porte

Gives them options for the TT ... workhorses for the RR and a sprinter and leadout

Do you really think that S O´Grady will not be riding and road Captain ?

Renshaw will not ride imo

The Hustler should be a good 2nd bet lead out guy for Goss or sprinter

And Jack will be busy elsewhere

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I read on the UCI website, riders for the TT are to be selected from those that are in the road race.

I'll go for
Goss
Renshaw
O'Grady
Evans (+TT)
Porte (+TT)

res : Haussler or Hayman

I think Bobridge will be concentrating on the track.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Sally Pearson won a Hurdles World Championship. Yes that is very good but Cadel Evans won the Tour de France and he was stuck yesterday having to present a trophy with her. Disgraceful! Don't they know it it the Cadel Show here in melbourne?! :D ;)

auscyclefan94 said:
Sally Pearson won a Hurdles World Championship. Yes that is very good but Cadel Evans won the Tour de France and he was stuck yesterday having to present a trophy with her. Disgraceful! Don't they know it it the Cadel Show here in melbourne?! :D ;)

Come off it, ACF! Don't you realise this could be Pearson's only chance to be recognised alongside a great like Evans? It only really goes to show what a great guy Evans is that he's willing to share the limelight that is rightfully his, and you know that the chance to just be mentioned in the same breath as Cadel Evans is an accolade that anybody would never forget. Pearson will no doubt feel that all the sacrifices she has made for her sporting career are worth it, the second she walked out to present an award with Cadel Evans!

:cool:

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

We can laugh about it, but I guess it kinda shows how cycling is ranked. Tour de France is equal to a second rank athletic event.

Like Cadel, Sally Pearson is a world champion. She has risen to the absolute top of her discipline, especially since olympics are only 4 years.

Hurdles are tricky and it is a major event and there are thousands out the who wish they could do it like Pearson.

I think Cadels achievement is more impressive, but Pearson deserves to be up there with him.

The Hitch said:
Like Cadel, Sally Pearson is a world champion. She has risen to the absolute top of her discipline, especially since olympics are only 4 years.

Hurdles are tricky and it is a major event and there are thousands out the who wish they could do it like Pearson.

I think Cadels achievement is more impressive, but Pearson deserves to be up there with him.

Hitch is spot on. Although Sally's event is only one part of track and field, she did dominate virtually the entire season, losing only her last race, which I think must have been the Grand Prix Final. In this way she was/is more dominant than Cadel. Think about how many non African's (or African descendants or Jamaicans!) win gold medals on the track......they are few and far between.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Come off it, ACF! Don't you realise this could be Pearson's only chance to be recognised alongside a great like Evans? It only really goes to show what a great guy Evans is that he's willing to share the limelight that is rightfully his, and you know that the chance to just be mentioned in the same breath as Cadel Evans is an accolade that anybody would never forget. Pearson will no doubt feel that all the sacrifices she has made for her sporting career are worth it, the second she walked out to present an award with Cadel Evans!

:cool:
I was being facetious.
The Hitch said:

gregrowlerson said:
Hitch is spot on. Although Sally's event is only one part of track and field, she did dominate virtually the entire season, losing only her last race, which I think must have been the Grand Prix Final. In this way she was/is more dominant than Cadel. Think about how many non African's (or African descendants or Jamaicans!) win gold medals on the track......they are few and far between.

WC in Hurdles or WC in Road Cycling. Both are amazing acheivements but I still would say Road Race WC in most instances is harder to win. Saying her acheivements are more dominant than Cadel is absurd. Based on winning strike rate, Sally would also be a more dominant athlete than Phillippe Gilbert.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I was being facetious.

WC in Hurdles or WC in Road Cycling. Both are amazing acheivements but I still would say Road Race WC in most instances is harder to win. Saying her acheivements are more dominant than Cadel is absurd. Based on winning strike rate, Sally would also be a more dominant athlete than Phillippe Gilbert.

Exactly what an athlete. Go Sally!!!

karlboss said:
Exactly what an athlete. Go Sally!!!

Pearson was bitterly disappointed the lose her last race of the season. Her only loss. She clipped a hurdle and fell, was lucky not to hurt herself as it looked like a heavy fall. I saw a lot of her wins and she won most of them easily including her world title. She is a great athlete and will win the Olympic Gold if she stays injury free.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
gregrowlerson said:

It was the Memorial Ivo Van Damme in Brussels. Which is the final track event of the Diamond League(you earn double points there). Many white people win medals on the track by the way, some disciplines are totally dominated by white people.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
O'Grady should carry the flag. Competed since 1992 in the Olympics. And Olympics are what it should be about. Also well known as pioneer of bringing cycling into the mainstream media in Australia. Before everyone knew Evans, they knew O'Grady. He was always more famous than McEwen even though he never won as many stages or won green overall. His days in yellow got his name out there.

He won track bronze and silver medals, before switching to the road, and then riding track again at Athens (don't mention it to Renshaw) and winning gold in the Madison.

Australian sporting icon, recognised throughout the country, will be his fifth games, former gold medal winner. That's enough for me. Cadel has done great, but he gets to parade around in yellow. O'Grady has done much much more at olympic level.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Many white people win medals on the track by the way, some disciplines are totally dominated by white people.
Field maybe. Track not so much. It is pretty rare actually. Especially the shorter distances.

El Pistolero said:
It was the Memorial Ivo Van Damme in Brussels. Which is the final track event of the Diamond League(you earn double points there). Many white people win medals on the track by the way, some disciplines are totally dominated by white people.

What event? 800 and 400 probably come closest and both were won by people of Afro Caribbean descent in the last olympics.

Actually every track gold went to a person of Afro Caribbean descent last olympics, so I don't see how white people dominate any of them.

I have no idea why you would post that.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What event? 800 and 400 probably come closest and both were won by people of Afro Caribbean descent in the last olympics.

Actually every track gold went to a person of Afro Caribbean descent last olympics, so I don't see how white people dominate any of them.

Blame this one on my English skills :eek:

With track I actually meant track and field. In Dutch we just use the word Atletiek or piste(track) to desribe all sports that take place on it like long jump and high jump.

TRENDING THREADS