• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel Evans: Yay or Nay on EPO

The link in the thread, Cadel Evans is a Clean Champion, has expired, "Page not found."

This news article appeared in The Sydney Morning Herald on October 14, 2012;

Cadel Evans a true champion, says Hamilton: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cadel-evans-a-true-champion-says-hamilton-20121014-27kmd.html

"I think you have to question some of the results of the past (but) I don't think you have to question Cadel Evans' result from last year's Tour de France."

"From what I've heard about Cadel Evans, he's a true champion."

"He's always been a big anti-doping advocate."

"I can't say anything negative about Cadel Evans. I've a lot of respect for Cadel Evans."

Evans always seemed to me like a clean champion. He wasn't superhuman and had his limits but was able to win some big races. Obviously it's just an impression, nothing more. The fact that he looked human could mean that some were just better and likely no TdF champion has been clean since...I don't know, maybe since the beginning (travels by train as the first method of doping :D)

This is gossip and hearsay as well as ancient history so take with a huge grain of salt but a friend of mine was a minor pro mountain biker and happened to be in the same car as Cadel when he was at Sea Otter circa 1998 and said Cadel was pretty loose with the doping talk. My friend was fairly naïve and came away quite disillusioned and quit riding as a pro not long after that.

Not sure why Cadel has always had a clean reputation? Because he was a diesel?

Think he just did some testing with Ferrari. Don't think he was a long term client. If he was clean I can see why he so pissed off after losing grand tours especially the ones he was in a good position to win. He seems to have lightened up a lot since he retired if recent interviews are anything to go by. His comments about Armstrong were not very helpful but he wasn't the only person in that category. Like Sastre he won his grand tour just in time before age started to effect his performances.

The don't touch me episode was simply because he had had a bad fall and his shoulder was painful. Maybe some people didn't know that at the time or forgot.

I think you're doing the Cadel Evans folklore a disservice by handwaving one of his most famous little outbursts, i.e. plenty of riders have been hurt, plenty have been knocked or touched, most don't go full rage.

It's just the way he was. No point denying it.

Evans meeting with Ferrari is always brought up by his detractors. But Ferrari wasn’t simply an expert in blood doping methods. He was arguably the most knowledgeable doctor in the sport back then. And the way Evans rode through his career backs this up. best results came when I think doping was at an ebb for factors such as the ABP. Like 2008 and 2011.

The 2007 TdF was a good demonstration when an athlete with superior aerobic capacity attempts to hang with dopers. They initially can respond then pop and lose 2 minutes in 5km (stage 14 to PdB). Countless other examples.

And as has been pointed out Evans was a quirky and sometimes prickly character when doing his job under pressure. That’s not unusual in any profession. A close relative of mine met Evans personally at the London Olympics and said he was the most down to earth and generous of his time of any he met there. This stuff is completely irrelevant to whether he doped or not so why even bring it up.

Having said this Evans may have doped but you are all going to have to come up with better then his Ferrari meeting which was before he had even decided to switch to the road.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts