• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel looking ahead...

Where will Cadel be in 2010?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Have a look at this interview. it's very interesting.
http://player.sbs.com.au/tdf#/tdf_08/interviews/interviews/playlist/Cadel-relieved-and-joyful/

"Normally i will go for the tour and normally i will have another year on my contract with this team but cycling's a weird sport"
"It's a belgian team and he (Jurgen) gets looked at in a different light"

This tells me he's going to move. He also says normally he will aim for the tour. I think he's in the crossroads of his career not exactly sure where he's going. He said he's taking a break and preparing for 2010. Good move Cadel. I expect to hear something in the next few weeks or the next few months about Cadel's future plans.

Please vote to where you think he will go...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
You forgot the poll :)

For me, he's obviously staying at Lotto. He doesn't have the money to break that contract, and the team have no reason to do so, either.

This is compounded by his comment to SBS's "news" that he's moving teams: "SBS have their head in the sand".

EDIT: poll's there now. voted.

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
http://player.sbs.com.au/tdf#/tdf_08/interviews/interviews/playlist/Cadel-relieved-and-joyful/

"Normally i will go for the tour and normally i will have another year on my contract with this team but cycling's a weird sport"

This tells me he's going to move. He also says normally he will aim for the tour. I think he's in the crossroads of his career not exactly sure where he's going. He said he's taking a break and preparing for 2010. Good move Cadel. I expect to hear something in the next few weeks or the next few months about Cadel's future plans.

Where can he go? He didn't exactly cover himself in glory during this Tour. It was truly sad to see him getting towed back up to the back of the bunch on the Roseland by Van Summerant. He will struggle to find a decent GC team that will want him as their number one rider. He may go to Sky along with the other 50% of the peleton apparently. Then again I hear Radioshack is looking for riders and they need good domestiques. He could be the youngster on the team!;) Cervelo is a possibility

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
All the bigger name teams already have as strong or stronger GC riders and or have other objectives e.g. Quickstep. If he goes to one of these (if they'll take him) I see that he has to at best be joint leader or swallow his pride and be a super domestique ala Kloden.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Seth Bullock said:
All the bigger name teams already have as strong or stronger GC riders and or have other objectives e.g. Quickstep. If he goes to one of these (if they'll take him) I see that he has to at best be joint leader or swallow his pride and be a super domestique ala Kloden.

...That's why he has finished twice in second place before at the tour... makes sense (not)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
it might actually be good for him to stay at Lotto and share the leadership. Cadel doesn't have an issue with performance, it's an issue with anxiety. If he has to share the responsibility it might actually help his performance not hinder it.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

no matter where he goes he should focus on the vuelta or giro.
riders like him had the chance of a tour win in the armstrong-interbellum, but now contador has matured and schleck can only be growing stronger it's over.

a rider with evans' qualities should at least have one gt on his palmares.
silence is still his best bet for that if they sent a good team to the giro. second place in the tour will only get you remembered if you do it over and over again (poulidor/zoetemelk/ullrich)

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
...That's why he has finished twice in second place before at the tour... makes sense (not)

Well given the fact that Kloden actually finished second in the Tour, that's not really the best arguement.

Evans has to try and win the Giro in my mind, because as good as his second place finishes are, his time has gone. I believe his best place to do will be at Radioshack, as the major Tour riders can warm up for later on, helping Evans to a big result. Just my two pennies.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I voted for Garmin - but more out of hope than anything else.

I just hope he finds a team where he feels welcome. Silence doesn't sound like the right place for him, given how quickly they seemed to sweep him aside for VDB.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Maybe he'll got back to riding on the dirt..

But more likely, he'll stay with Lotto.

He'd be stupid to go the Radioshack, because of the obvious.
Garmin should be focussing on Wiggens, so no room there.

Maybe Cervelo is an option. Sastre's GC days are behind him now, so maybe they'll be on the market for a new GC rider.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
ProfTournesol said:
it might actually be good for him to stay at Lotto and share the leadership. Cadel doesn't have an issue with performance, it's an issue with anxiety. If he has to share the responsibility it might actually help his performance not hinder it.

Probably right, and for the same reason he might enjoy racing more as a Kloden level uber-domestique/GC rider in a strong team (and who knows, win a GT in the process one day).

May 13, 2009
Visit site
He should try to go for a Vuelta or maybe Giro victory. With Andy, Bertie and a slew of other, younger riders, I don't think he'll ever have a reasonable shot at the TdF again. Last year was his best shot, but that's gone. He should do what Menchov did. Possible Sastre should think that way as well.

Which team? I think with Jurgen as the big TdF hope on Silence next year, Evans will still fit in there.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
anubisza said:
Maybe Cervelo is an option. Sastre's GC days are behind him now, so maybe they'll be on the market for a new GC rider.

Wow. Harsh. The guy just rode 4 consecutive GT's: wins le Tour, 3rd in the Vuelta, 3rd (now) in the Giro... and one bad showing means the end of his GC days? I wouldn't write Carlos off yet.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I can't believe liquigas is even an option... :confused:

Nibali, kruziger, Pellizotti, Basso... Hey there's a team who needs a leader ;)

Evans isn't that guy. He needs some serious sports psychology help.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I voted Cervelo. While Sastre is definitely not at the end of his tether, I would say that with Saste focussing from the Tour to the Vuelta (being Spanish and all), and Cadel focussing on the Giro and the Classics and perhaps riding the Tour, it would be a good breakdown for the Cervelo team.
As long as he doesn't end up in Radioshack. Please don't go to RadioShack. I don't want to see Cadel turn into Levi ala sniping via Twitter like "the Boss".

Neil

May 26, 2009
Visit site
groverjones said:
I don't want to see Cadel turn into Levi ala sniping via Twitter like "the Boss".

Unlikely, Cadel's not that into selfpromoting full stop, whether via Twitter or website. To his credit (in my books anyway).

The good thing about Radioshack of course would be that there would be no need for him to twitter or speak to the media, odds being that others on that team would do enough ;-)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
groverjones said:
I voted Cervelo. While Sastre is definitely not at the end of his tether, I would say that with Saste focussing from the Tour to the Vuelta (being Spanish and all), and Cadel focussing on the Giro and the Classics and perhaps riding the Tour, it would be a good breakdown for the Cervelo team.l
With Sastre, Hushovd, and Haussler, Cervelo can not afford Evans.

TRENDING THREADS