• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel looking ahead...

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Where will Cadel be in 2010?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ProfTournesol said:
kinda depends on whether ASO include a team time trial in 2010. Now that they see pandering to LA as suiting their agendas, it's likely to stay in, and it isn't a Silence strong point

I hope it doesn't. I hope they make it a short one if they have to put one in. I agree with mountain goat. If a guy like menchov has got 3, how can a rider like cadel have zero. Cadel seemed very happy with his vuelta squad who didn't look strong on paper. He didn't seem happy with the tdf squad.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
awal3207 said:
Cadel poor showing this year and constant complaining about his team is no doubt a reason why Silence has not recruitied any really descent climbers (other than Van Goolen) for next season.
A couple of so so stages in the Tour and he is having a bad year; he is the best and most consistent performer SIL have had over the past 5 years. The reason they haven't recruited more is because they don't want to spend the money.
How much is a Rainbow Jersey worth in advertising dollars to a team; this may be a lure for a team to buy Cadel out of his current contract.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Herman Frison has suggested (today/yesterday?) that Evans doesn't ride the TdF. Given the competition (Armstong, Schleck, Contador) he thinks its unrealistic he can steal the victory away, so he mentioned he'd do the Giro/Vuelta combo, where his chances of winning would be much higher.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Herman Frison has suggested (today/yesterday?) that Evans doesn't ride the TdF. Given the competition (Armstong, Schleck, Contador) he thinks its unrealistic he can steal the victory away, so he mentioned he'd do the Giro/Vuelta combo, where his chances of winning would be much higher.

I think cadel needs the form he had in 07 to have a chance of beating conti at the tour. He hasn't tt'd that well the past 2 years. Tho the giro may just be a better race for him. The ttt wouldn't suit him and they have minimised the time trialing km over the past two years so if that trend continues then maybe the giro/vuelta may be cadels best option

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Problem with that is all you mongrels will say he only won the Giro or Vuelta because everyone else was focussing on the TdF.:D
SIL have a habit of changing their mind; they also want their man (Belgian Man) JvdB as the leader in the TdF to please the sponsors. So they will be plugging the media and everyone to get behind JvdB for the TdF.
Be an interesting meeting later in the week when Cadel goes to Belgium.

When Van Den Broeck finishes 15th in the Tour S/L will be wondering what were they thinking. Van Den Broeck needs to be groomed at the Vuelta and Giro before tossing him in as race leader at the Tour. He showed flashes of potential but his placing was due primarily to his not being a threat to anyone and having the freedom after Evans demise in the overall to get away in breaks.

This world championship win for Evans will be a positive and potentially a negative. It gives him the monument one day win that he's been missing from his record but it also puts him back on the hot skillet of high expectations by some. This win isn't going to automatically cure him of his fragile psychie (sp).
With the championships stripes on he will definitely be a marked man by all in every race he enters and raises expectations. With these expectations comes immense pressure--not exactly Evans' best friend.

I agree with what most have said that the Tour is likely out of his reach. As was stated his window of opportunity at the Tour closed after 2008. Contador and Schleck are only going to get stronger. No longer can Evans depend on the ITT to recover minutes lost in the mountains to Contador.
If anything he has to take on the mentality of Leipheimer and hope that he can slip in through the backdoor to a Tour win. Escaping in a break while the principles are shadowing one another and with Evans in the WC stripes that isn't likely to happen. Pursuing a Giro and/or Vuelta win would do more for his psychie than another beatdown at the Tour.

as for changing teams i dont think any other teams will have the cash to buy cadel out of his silence-lotto contract..except maybe sky....and that would be a bad move...and i think his days of winning the tour are over(wow that was hard to type-being a fanboy)and justn like others have posted he should try to win the giro or vuelta..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
He had some problems at the tour, and exploded, apart from that his form has been excellent. 3rd due to a mechanical at the vuelta next to 2 quality riders who focussed on the event whereas he peaked for the tour isn't bad. To win at the tour he needs a little luck, a great team, and to be alongside a more serious threat than himself ie Wiggins or better and to completely share responsibility. I think if he focusses on the giro or more likely the vuelta he could win without great support.

A

Anonymous

Boeing said:
dont matter no one will ride for him

I doubt that's true. The team rode well for him at the vuelta, and he acknowledged their hard work. Also, the aussie's had no problem working for him at the worlds.

As I said in another thread, I think Cadel would benefit from moving to an english speaking team, as the directors are motivators rather than dictators. Basically, that puts him as either a co-leader at garmin, a helper at radioshack, or co-leader at Sky with lovkist. Either way, I think the 3 directors of these 3 teams will help Cadel with his confidence.

Alternatively for Cadel, he stays at Silence for 2010, proves he's the main man by winning the giro and/or the vuelta. This way, he can skip the tour, put pressure on Jurgen VDB to perform as sole leader in the tour. If VDB places in the top ten, perhaps he's the team leader, and Cadel can find a new team. If VDB fails, then after Cadel wins a GT in 2010, that puts him as top dog for 2011, and a shot at the Tour with VDB as designated mountain domestique

Mountain Goat said:
I

As I said in another thread, I think Cadel would benefit from moving to an english speaking team, as the directors are motivators rather than dictators.

Isn't this a crass generalization?

directors at all english-speaking teams = motivators

directors at all non-english-speaking teams = dictators

And what is an "english speaking team" anyway? Do you mean a US or UK based team? What if that team has a non-native-english speaking "director"? Johan Bruyneel (Belgian) is to be with RadioShack, and Ralf Aldag (German) is Sport Director at Columbia, both "english language" teams.

Susan

A

Anonymous

Susan Westemeyer said:
Isn't this a crass generalization?

directors at all english-speaking teams = motivators

directors at all non-english-speaking teams = dictators

And what is an "english speaking team" anyway? Do you mean a US or UK based team? What if that team has a non-native-english speaking "director"? Johan Bruyneel (Belgian) is to be with RadioShack, and Ralf Aldag (German) is Sport Director at Columbia, both "english language" teams.

Susan

It sounded like a generalisaton for directors, and yes I meant a UK or US based team when I say english speaking (I guess my collecting noun implied english-origin directors, which is not what I meant, given your examples of Bruyneel and Aldag).

I guess what I meant is that the american teams (and I think sky will do the same) have a different view of managing riders. I base this on what I have heard many riders talking about in interviews when they've gone from a traditional old school european team, to an american team, and they've said that the managers treat them in a more positive way, and they're previous managers were very "we pay you, therefore you must win" or along those lines.. not a direct quote, but this was similar to what they say.

In my mind, I think Cadel would benefit moving to this type of scene, rather than what he has at the moment at Lotto. Again, I don't have direct quote, but i've read in interview's that Poppo felt very unenthuisiastic at Silence and that the feeling around the team bus was stale and business like. Whereas at discovery it was a happy family, and everyone felt good about how the team was managed, and the riders as a result, were much more motivated which lead to greater confidence of success

In addition, teams like Saxobank also have this happy family feeling, so the main issue is that Cadel needs a change of scenery with differs from that of Silence

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Silence Lotto could be quite a strong team but i must say that their managment is hopeless. They have a lot of talented riders but they have been mis managed and the directors don't have a clue. I could do a better jon than most of the lotto directors

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
UK & American team

Mountain Goat said:
It sounded like a generalisaton for directors, and yes I meant a UK or US based team when I say english speaking (I guess my collecting noun implied english-origin directors, which is not what I meant, given your examples of Bruyneel and Aldag).

I guess what I meant is that the american teams (and I think sky will do the same) have a different view of managing riders. I base this on what I have heard many riders talking about in interviews when they've gone from a traditional old school european team, to an american team, and they've said that the managers treat them in a more positive way, and they're previous managers were very "we pay you, therefore you must win" or along those lines.. not a direct quote, but this was similar to what they say.

In my mind, I think Cadel would benefit moving to this type of scene, rather than what he has at the moment at Lotto. Again, I don't have direct quote, but i've read in interview's that Poppo felt very unenthuisiastic at Silence and that the feeling around the team bus was stale and business like. Whereas at discovery it was a happy family, and everyone felt good about how the team was managed, and the riders as a result, were much more motivated which lead to greater confidence of success

In addition, teams like Saxobank also have this happy family feeling, so the main issue is that Cadel needs a change of scenery with differs from that of Silence

Evans comes across as a guy that struggles to relate to the european riders so would benefit from an American or UK team to get the best out of him. He is also very scientific using a lot of numbers in his preparation so the Garmin and Radioshack style would suit well.
He would also benefit not being the sole leader as he struggles with pressure and attention.
He should give the Tour De France away and focus on another grand tour. He seems this year to be learning from his mistakes so this could be a realistic goal. If he could find another tour suiting his strengths and really believe in his chances he might pull it off. He seems a very similar ability to Menchov less tactically aware.
Radioshack would be best for him IMO

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I heard Cadel is riding the TDU next year. Can anyone confirm that?
with Cadel changing team, he has definetly gone silent about that!

Silence Lotto are holding a press conference tomorrow with Cadel and it has been reported - but not confirmed - that he is due to ride the TDU next year.
I don't see Cadel ridiing for any other team except SL next year.

Also Auscyclefan94 - you may be interested in this piece.
It is suggesting that the team plan was to ride for Gerrans and not Cadel, and that Cadel told Stephens he was not riding for Gerrans.
I am sure the Oz press will pick up on it - to see if there is any substance to this report.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Silence Lotto are holding a press conference tomorrow with Cadel and it has been reported - but not confirmed - that he is due to ride the TDU next year.

It is suggesting that the team plan was to ride for Gerrans and not Cadel, and that Cadel told Stephens he was not riding for Gerrans.
I am sure the Oz press will pick up on it - to see if there is any substance to this report.
Riding TDU was definitely not in SIL plans for Cadel before the Worlds, they also release alot of statement before even mentioning things with the rider, we will have to see what Cadel and Tony R say about the TDU.
I read the report about the vote too; why would you not support a guy at the peak of fitness after Vuelta, who has ridden most of the course 100 times since its announcement and has a very good record in long one day races like LBL and FW? He was the man to do the job and he prove it.
SIL will be the team for next year. Unless someone won the lottery recently.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Silence-Lotto, their parent company Omega Pharma and 2009 World Champion Cadel Evans will hold a press conference tomorrow in the “Davitamon” room at Omega Pharma corporate headquarters. The invitation promises that there will be “surprises”, one of which is expected to be a new name for the Belgian team for 2010.

There were also reports today that Evans will race in the Tour Down Under in 2010, He has not raced in the increasingly important season opener since 2006. Australia’s Allan Davis is the defending champion.

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:

If that's true (about the vote), then the Aussie coach, Neil Stephens, is a fool !!

Why have a vote? That's clearly going to cause a lack of team harmony for the losing rider. What a terrible idea. I doubt Bruyneel said to his teammates before the tour, "hey guys, lets vote for a new leader, hands up for gregory rast for GC?"...

I don't blame evans for saying he can win it. It shows he was (finally) confident of his abilities. As if he was going to pace gerrans up the climbs. Neil Stephens should have known that a two-pronged attack was always going to better than a sole leader, it's too much pressure on one guy, especially on someone like gerrans.. I doubt it's true though. A vote is ridiculous. No director with half a brain would actually suggest that.

About the press conference, interesting to see what they say. If Cadel does the tour down under, hopefully that means he's starting his season with the hope of peaking earlier than usual (GIRO!!). Given he showed good form in the 07,09 Vuelta's, then perhaps back-to-back GT's may suit cadel (bit like menchov).. who knows:confused:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Errrr Believe everything you read in the press? Truth is, that's NOT what happened. Having a vote as to who would be team leader would be the most divisive situation you could have on a team. It's not a democracy, that why we have directors

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
The Dr said:
Errrr Believe everything you read in the press? Truth is, that IS NOT what happened. Having a vote as to who would be team leader would be the most divisive situation you could have on a team. It's not a democracy, that why we have directors

Check my post - I said it was 'suggested' - and pointed out that it should be picked up by the Australian press, who could check to see if there was any truth to it....

However you seem pretty sure when you say "that is NOT what happened" - I would be interested to know the true story.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Evans had to pick up the pieces when gerrans caused the split so Cadel was caught behind. He had to bridge so gerrans stuffed up. It says that evans partied with his family when I've seen pictures that the aussie team wre partying together. Evans was very gracious to the Australian team mates and they commented on their twitter pages happily.

"Being with the Aussies and seeing them out there... especially because I've sort of grown up with most of the guys here - some of them younger, some of them older - is great," said Evans. "I remember racing with Mat Hayman as an Under 23 or racing with Mick [Rogers] as an Under 23, going to races years ago together.

I doubt their was any in fighting in their. If it did happen what would be the logic to it, Evans came 3rd in hte vuelta, Gerrans didn't even finish and only won a stage from the breakaway. Australia would of looked like real idiots if the rode for gerrans who was 1:47 down.

May 2, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Evans had to pick up the pieces when gerrans caused the split so Cadel was caught behind. He had to bridge so gerrans stuffed up. It says that evans partied with his family when I've seen pictures that the aussie team wre partying together. Evans was very gracious to the Australian team mates and they commented on their twitter pages happily.

I doubt their was any in fighting in their. If it did happen what would be the logic to it, Evans came 3rd in hte vuelta, Gerrans didn't even finish and only won a stage from the breakaway. Australia would of looked like real idiots if the rode for gerrans who was 1:47 down.

These things happen in cycling believe it or not. These guys are professionals, it's not always about the pride of riding for your country.

If Cadel has won the title one out then it is an even more impressive ride.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I was annoyed to know that Cadel Evans couldn't get on the back page of our main news paper and a drunk footballer gets it instead. Evans has just won a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, an australian first. Who cares about a drunk footballer as it happened 1 week before evans won.