• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel's Chance

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
bunchridefinder said:
I think his chances are very slim - I'd LOVE to see him win, but I think he needs a team that is built just for him.

I thought without McEwen on the roster this was Evan's team entirely. Or at least that's what I read somewhere, I believe in one of special Tour mags that show up on the newstands. An interview with the DS Marc Sargent.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
biker jk said:
I believe your real dream involves LA being dipped in some chocolate sauce, while your nightmare is CE winning the TDF and LA recording a DNF.

and how did LA get dragged into this. I have made no secret that I am not a fan of cadel, the logic of the first poster is ridiculous having more than one strong team with multiple GC challengers hurts him not help, when you have three strong teams with the ability to isolate evans and still have three teammembers in a select group, thats not good for evans. The course though is suited for him.

msjett said:
Chances....well there are at least 3 teams who can put a train on the front of that peleton, so unless the lotto lads are up to it Cadels chances are pretty slim to say the least..there I said it, I know they will revoke my aussie sports supporter licence again! lol

I think he should be talking to Rogers, Columbia would make good allies, me thinks. ;)

You are definitely on the Questionable Allegiance Aussie Supporter Watch List. Your posts are being monitored so you better watch your step with these posts!;)

Seriously, it would be to his advantage to use his Aussie alliances to full effect if the opportunity presents itself.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
You are definitely on the Questionable Allegiance Aussie Supporter Watch List. Your posts are being monitored so you better watch your step with these posts!;)

Seriously, it would be to his advantage to use his Aussie alliances to full effect if the opportunity presents itself.

Msjett liscence has been taken off him. He has broke the Aussie Sport fan club number 1 rule- Never bag an Aussie:eek:. My point is that when the atacks come down to it will Rogers even be able to stay up with Cadel? I don't think so. Cadel is another level higher than him.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
biker jk said:
I believe your real dream involves LA being dipped in some chocolate sauce, while your nightmare is CE winning the TDF and LA recording a DNF.

I dont need anyone else doing well, or poorly for that matter, to continue to hope for a Cadel bonk. He is a great rider, but he just bugs me to no end.

auscyclefan94 said:
Msjett liscence has been taken off him. He has broke the Aussie Sport fan club number 1 rule- Never bag an Aussie:eek:. My point is that when the atacks come down to it will Rogers even be able to stay up with Cadel? I don't think so. Cadel is another level higher than him.

Msjett it was bound to happen. You can't get out of step with supporting all that is the Aussie way. Oy!! Oy!! Shrimp on the barbie and all that!:D

Rogers is better than anyone else Evans has as support in the mountains on Silence-Lotto. The rest of Evans support will be long gone by the time Rogers meets the end of his climbing rope.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Msjett it was bound to happen. You can't get out of step with supporting all that is the Aussie way. Oy!! Oy!! Shrimp on the barbie and all that!:D

Rogers is better than anyone else Evans has as support in the mountains on Silence-Lotto. The rest of Evans support will be long gone by the time Rogers meets the end of his climbing rope.

I know! How terribly unaustralian of me to speak like that, don't get me wrong would love to see Evans or Rogers win....but the chances are slim.

Unfortunately the aussies ride for their teams not their country men, we didn't see O'Grady slow down when he was on the front driving for Saxo last year. So I can't see them doing anything for Cadel this year, apart from wishing him luck. :D

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Cadel's big problem winning a big race is that seemingly everyone wants him to lose. If he could form alliances he should have won at least one tour, the dauphine and who knows what else. I mean the guy alienates his own teammates. Whatever you think of LA/Postal/Hog etc. you have to admit that the team dumps their guts for the guy (and yes their blood etc...;-))

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
In my dreams, Evans takes yellow early. Silence-Lotto then implodes trying to keep the petulant snot in front, and Evans exploding when it really matters.

Then we could have some youtube videos, like last year, of the ever mature, ever gracious Cadel Evans...

I'm curious......what would you expect Cadel to do when he is REPEATEDLY and deliberately poked in his damaged shoulder with a microphone?? Maybe put yourself in his position and then think again.The 'Ill cut your head off' was well know to be a joke...maybe not a great one though! You would do well to remember that ALL these riders are just ordinary people like you and I who happen to be extra-ordinary athletes.
For what it's worth I think Cadel's chances are as good as any. He does have a stronger team that any other year and now has the experience of wearing yellow.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Dr said:
I'm curious......what would you expect Cadel to do when he is REPEATEDLY and deliberately poked in his damaged shoulder with a microphone??

Well he wasnt repeatedly poked on the shoulder with a microphone, he was tapped on the shoulder. But if he was poked, as you assert, and if it was truly a physical affront, as you imply, then I would punch the SOB.

What did poor little Cadel do? ...He ran away crying.

I'll take a mildly doped Floyd Landis as champion over a mildly doped AND whinner Cadel Evans any day.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
Well he wasnt repeatedly poked on the shoulder with a microphone, he was tapped on the shoulder. But if he was poked, as you assert, and if it was truly a physical affront, as you imply, then I would punch the SOB.

What did poor little Cadel do? ...He ran away crying.

I'll take a mildly doped Floyd Landis as champion over a mildly doped AND whinner Cadel Evans any day.

Watch the FULL video...NOT the edited version.
Wow So you KNOW for a fact that Evans uses PED's? ;) Unless I'm mistaken you know ONLY what you read in the press. END OF STORY.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
The Dr said:
Wow So you KNOW for a fact that Evans uses PED's? ;) Unless I'm mistaken you know ONLY what you read in the press. END OF STORY.

Why let facts get in the way of LA pounder's mindless diatribe on CE? Tell us the truth Mr Pounder, did Cadel's dog bite you?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The Dr said:

Hey - you keep biting, he'll keep poking - especially when you use CAPS - it shows he got you riled.

I like Evans, but I have no idea why. Okay - I do - it's something to do with the 2004 Vuelta T-mobile food poisoning incident. He didn't get sick.

He lacks even the smallest iota of charisma or media management skill, but those who know him personally apparently think he's the duck's nuts. I think he's just a soul whose intentions are good...!

He looks like a demented gumby on the cols, and he attacks as often as Leipheimer, but he's a tenacious little ******. Hope he gets the win he so dearly wants; but for some reason, he seems to snatch second from the jaws of victory - in the same way Contador always seems to win by a whisker.

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
bunchridefinder said:
Hey I want him to win, but it seems strange no one in the peloton will work with him - what has he done? - there must be something...

He doesn't do deals like others. My understanding is that he's not too forthcoming with his cash to 'buy' wins. If he had turned to a Menchov/ Kohl/ Vandevelde and said $200k to the guy who gets me to the top of Alpe du Huez last year he would probably have won the Tour. If his team won't buy the help he needs, maybe he should buy his own help. Don't think the Spaniards help each other for the love of it only.

I think he can win this year, I just don't think he will. I'm not questioning his ability, rather his race smarts. We saw last year he waited too long to chase Sastre and it happened again at the Dauphine with Valverde. Maybe not having an ITT to fall back on after the last mountain stage will make him chase harder, earlier this year. Time will tell.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Dr said:
I'm curious......what would you expect Cadel to do when he is REPEATEDLY and deliberately poked in his damaged shoulder with a microphone?? Maybe put yourself in his position and then think again.The 'Ill cut your head off' was well know to be a joke...maybe not a great one though! You would do well to remember that ALL these riders are just ordinary people like you and I who happen to be extra-ordinary athletes.
For what it's worth I think Cadel's chances are as good as any. He does have a stronger team that any other year and now has the experience of wearing yellow.

lol i understand being a little frustrated but his reaction was just priceless.
Anywhu So people dis' your favorite rider, who cares mate. Not everyone has to like cadel, personally i think he is a total tool.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
yourwelcome said:
Hey Ben... what'd Cadel do to you to make you so obsessed with him? It kind of looks unhealthy.

I'm not obsessed with him, I just dont like him. Furthermore, I've no problem agreeing that he is one of the strongest cyclists in the pro pelaton. Why is it that my not liking (who I suspect is) your hero makes me obsessed with hate?

If Evans wins with panache, I will gladly admit it,

If Evans wins with aid from S-L, then I will admit that.

I just dont like Cadel Evans, and I hope others crush him like the snot I think he is.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Dr said:

Amen:) Go Cadel! Cadel needs to take at least 20-30 seconds to Contador in the monaco tt because even if Silence Lotto do a great ride in the ttt, i think they'll still lose time to Astana. The first week will shape the tour a fair bit. After the ttt it will show who are the pretenders and the contenders:p

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
I'm not obsessed with him, I just dont like him. Furthermore, I've no problem agreeing that he is one of the strongest cyclists in the pro pelaton. Why is it that my not liking (who I suspect is) your hero makes me obsessed with hate?

If Evans wins with panache, I will gladly admit it,

If Evans wins with aid from S-L, then I will admit that.

I just dont like Cadel Evans, and I hope others crush him like the snot I think he is.

Its probably comments like I've bolded that get up people's noses (pun intended).

Anyway, I can see why people don't like Cadel. If he wasn't an Aussie I probably wouldn't have a heap of time for him either. Having said that I think he gets a pretty rough deal from a lot of people. He's a TT rider who can climb a bit. People then criticise him for not attacking enough in the hills. He's meant to beat the climbers at thier own game? If thats what you think, then fair enough, but at least be equally critical of climbers who can't TT to save themselves! Also, I rarely hear people criticise Menchov for his riding style which is a carbon copy of Cadel's.

If its his personality, well he DOES sound whiney when he speaks, so maybe dis his parents for giving him that voice.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
PACONi said:
Its probably comments like I've bolded that get up people's noses (pun intended).

Anyway, I can see why people don't like Cadel. If he wasn't an Aussie I probably wouldn't have a heap of time for him either. Having said that I think he gets a pretty rough deal from a lot of people. He's a TT rider who can climb a bit. People then criticise him for not attacking enough in the hills. He's meant to beat the climbers at thier own game? If thats what you think, then fair enough, but at least be equally critical of climbers who can't TT to save themselves! Also, I rarely hear people criticise Menchov for his riding style which is a carbon copy of Cadel's.

If its his personality, well he DOES sound whiney when he speaks, so maybe dis his parents for giving him that voice.

I do agree with you about that before this year Menchov and Evans were very similar riders. I don't think you can say Cadel is a time trialist who can climb a bit. I think he's better than that. I agree, Cadel is percepted to being an arrogant *** in the press when that is definetly not true especially knowing that from my experiences with him he's a great friendly guy.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site

I hope not, for if my opinion, just my clearly stated opinion following an honest assesment, cause folks to blathering indignation, then we really do live in a sorry world.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
lol i understand being a little frustrated but his reaction was just priceless.
Anywhu So people dis' your favorite rider, who cares mate. Not everyone has to like cadel, personally i think he is a total tool.

Being a little frustrated... If he's your favourite rider or not, at least aknowledge that he was treated badly and if someone was doing that to you after you rode up a mountain like Hautacam and had badly bruised the whole of your left side i think most reasonable people would do that. Imagine if that happened to menchov, you would go CRRAZY:mad: