• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Cadel's destintation...

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Where will Cadel be in 2010?

  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
blackcat said:
no he was not. He came in in 2006. So throw Camenzind, Tugboat Hamilton, Santi Perez, out.

Did Perdi go positive? I cant remember that.

Buffalo and Landis were 06, that was under Lelangue's reign.
Guti (Buffalo) and Botero in 2006. Not positives but involved in Puerto. Nowdays we have to make the difference.;)
 
blackcat said:
no he was not. He came in in 2006. So throw Camenzind, Tugboat Hamilton, Santi Perez, out.

Did Perdi go positive? I cant remember that.

Buffalo and Landis were 06, that was under Lelangue's reign.

I stand corrected. So who was the ds during that time frame? Sorry for steering this into clinic territory.
 
Jul 23, 2009
1,120
2
0
Visit site
blackcat said:
he is going to BMC, close the poll.

why?

business model: Cervelo 2009

BMC is Swiss

BMC and Andy Rihs will have a working relationship with Rominger of IMG, Evans manager

rainbow rings buys an invite

Ballan and Hincapie proved ambition

Cancellara will come in 2011, and try and win the Tour. But 'tl then, they are sort of stuck, and need a Tour invite.

Is about $$$. Not about team support. Not sure who they can now get to support Evans in the mtns. But this is not about winning the Tour. Evans and his manager are about $$$, not about planning to get the appropriate team. Besides, the biggest variable in winning the Tour is the medical support, not the team support.

rainbow is the change

Do you have any insight on the Lottery? I could use the money (and I would promise to give a large percentage to charity).:D

Seriously, excellent analysis - however, I think it is possible that BMC will put together a team to compete for the GC, they have a good lieutenant already, if they can find a mountain goat or two they should be competitive.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Mellow Velo said:
Aussie on another forum was with him last night. (book promo)
Open Q+A session.

Evans did concede that the BMC roster is full, and he is still short of climbing domestiques. However, he and the team see this as a 3 year project, (to win the Tour of course).
He's getting no more cash than at Lotto.
He is aware he might not get a Tour invite, this year.

well thats the next five tours almost sewn up then..

2010 Contador
2011
2012 Cadel evans
2013
2014 Team Sky

whos getting the other two
 
Apr 12, 2009
1,087
2
0
Visit site
dimspace said:
well thats the next five tours almost sewn up then..

2010 Contador
2011
2012 Cadel evans
2013
2014 Team Sky

whos getting the other two

I think contador takes it in 2011, and in 2013 LA comes out of retirement when he realizes that if cadel won that he could come back and win, but he geats beat by taylor phinney who went to garmin instead of radioshack to get the wiggins "training method" and ends up winning the tour by five minutes over robert gesink and 6 minutes over LA. By the way did I tell you that contador and shcleck decided to just race the giro/vuelta double and the classics.
 
Angliru said:
I stand corrected. So who was the ds during that time frame? Sorry for steering this into clinic territory.

Phonak cycling team officials announced Monday that manager Urs Freuler and director Alvaro Pino have been replaced by Belgian John Lelangue, an employee of the Amaury Sport Organization, which promotes the Tour de France. http://velonews.com/article/7357

Phonak was initially denied ProTour status, but CAS ruled that it would be inappropriate to penalize the team for cases still under appeal. Nonetheless,the team fired then-manager Urs Freuler and director Alvaro Pino, hiring Lelangue and appointing former Coast director Juan Fernandez as the Swiss team's new director sportif. http://velonews.com/article/8710
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
msjett said:
I think everyone has missed something here. Once again Cadel has provided something for so many to b!tch about, when there is a lull.

Never does it cease to amaze me that so many people who seemingly dislike Cadel for one reason or another were so passionate about getting their view across about where they thought the bloke may go.

He is going to BMC good luck to him. So what if its for the money, do you think the others race for free? :rolleyes:

In any profession if somebody is offering more money to do the same job, they would be out the door quicker then you could say Djamolidine Abdoujaparov. So it is a pretty hypocritical stance some fans take.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
CE to Adelaide media
"I get to do everything that I want," Evans told reporters in Adelaide.

"All the programme is done, the only race we don't know about is the Tour Down Under."

"They kind of go hand-in-hand, when you look for a team as a grand tour rider you need a team that is 100 percent behind you from day one," he said.

"But you also need the riders that are capable of doing that, capable of physically doing the work that is required."
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
filipo said:
I can see where Hoogie's present might be a problem, but what about his past are you referring to?

clinic.. or google... ;)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Mellow Velo said:
Aussie on another forum was with him last night. (book promo)
Open Q+A session.

Evans did concede that the BMC roster is full, and he is still short of climbing domestiques. However, he and the team see this as a 3 year project, (to win the Tour of course).
He's getting no more cash than at Lotto.
He is aware he might not get a Tour invite, this year.

Hopefully that means a crack at the Giro.

I'm starting to like the 3-year project approach. A ride in the Giro is good preparation for the tour (if they do happen to get invited), and if not, Cadel can probably join the club of podiums in all 3 GTs

Cadel has shown he can perform in his second GT of a year in 2007 and 2009 with the Tour/Vuelta, so why not have a crack at the Giro whilst the tour invite is being sorted out.

As for the money thing, I think it is clear that the BMC move is not for money, as was argued thoroughly in the opening pages of the thread.

Why do people still think its about money when both BMC and Cadel have come out said that the transfer was discussed well before the worlds? Furthermore, Cadel had to pay one years base salary to S/L to break his own contract, and it sounds like this was out-of-pocket so to speak.

Cadel wants a team that supports him, and I'm not talking just about riders, I'm talking about management. Lotto management were idiots, especially the Omega CEO Coucke (or Courcke:confused:). He was so quick to bad mouth cadel after one bad day at the tour, and so quick to praise Jurgen VDB as the future. Then Cadel wins the WC and Coucke is back on the ban wagon, and then Cadel leaves the team, which we've since found out was being almost decided BEFORE the WC and this **** (Coucke) says he wanted to capitalise on the jersey...

On a side note, it's good to see that Van den Breakaway is "nervous" - he knows that his tour top 15 was due to 3-4 breakaways, which hardly makes him a contender. Maybe he could learn to stay upright during a time trial as well...
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
Hopefully that means a crack at the Giro.

I'm starting to like the 3-year project approach. A ride in the Giro is good preparation for the tour (if they do happen to get invited), and if not, Cadel can probably join the club of podiums in all 3 GTs

Cadel has shown he can perform in his second GT of a year in 2007 and 2009 with the Tour/Vuelta, so why not have a crack at the Giro whilst the tour invite is being sorted out.

As for the money thing, I think it is clear that the BMC move is not for money, as was argued thoroughly in the opening pages of the thread.

Why do people still think its about money when both BMC and Cadel have come out said that the transfer was discussed well before the worlds? Furthermore, Cadel had to pay one years base salary to S/L to break his own contract, and it sounds like this was out-of-pocket so to speak.

Cadel wants a team that supports him, and I'm not talking just about riders, I'm talking about management. Lotto management were idiots, especially the Omega CEO Coucke (or Courcke:confused:). He was so quick to bad mouth cadel after one bad day at the tour, and so quick to praise Jurgen VDB as the future. Then Cadel wins the WC and Coucke is back on the ban wagon, and then Cadel leaves the team, which we've since found out was being almost decided BEFORE the WC and this **** (Coucke) says he wanted to capitalise on the jersey...

On a side note, it's good to see that Van den Breakaway is "nervous" - he knows that his tour top 15 was due to 3-4 breakaways, which hardly makes him a contender. Maybe he could learn to stay upright during a time trial as well...

Coucke is a tool a Van den Breakaway won't even finish top 20 in the tour next year!!!!
 
May 26, 2009
502
0
0
Visit site
Mountain Goat said:
Hopefully that means a crack at the Giro.

I'm starting to like the 3-year project approach. A ride in the Giro is good preparation for the tour (if they do happen to get invited), and if not, Cadel can probably join the club of podiums in all 3 GTs

Cadel has shown he can perform in his second GT of a year in 2007 and 2009 with the Tour/Vuelta, so why not have a crack at the Giro whilst the tour invite is being sorted out.

As for the money thing, I think it is clear that the BMC move is not for money, as was argued thoroughly in the opening pages of the thread.

Why do people still think its about money when both BMC and Cadel have come out said that the transfer was discussed well before the worlds? Furthermore, Cadel had to pay one years base salary to S/L to break his own contract, and it sounds like this was out-of-pocket so to speak.

Cadel wants a team that supports him, and I'm not talking just about riders, I'm talking about management. Lotto management were idiots, especially the Omega CEO Coucke (or Courcke:confused:). He was so quick to bad mouth cadel after one bad day at the tour, and so quick to praise Jurgen VDB as the future. Then Cadel wins the WC and Coucke is back on the ban wagon, and then Cadel leaves the team, which we've since found out was being almost decided BEFORE the WC and this **** (Coucke) says he wanted to capitalise on the jersey...

On a side note, it's good to see that Van den Breakaway is "nervous" - he knows that his tour top 15 was due to 3-4 breakaways, which hardly makes him a contender. Maybe he could learn to stay upright during a time trial as well...

Well said. I thought at first that the move was all about the money but after reading that he had to buy out his last year of contract with Lotto it really looks it was done just to get out. The team support in 2008 after his performance in 2007 was shameful.

It's hilarious to read comments from S-L like "we tried to build a good team around him", "we even brough in Moreno to help him" and then "it looks like he wants to cash in on his wc jersey". He's honest with the first one: the apparently tried to build a team around him! Moreno to help him, how about some one in 2008? With a rider like, well hmm...anyone with climbing abilities might have won them the Tour. And the last one: "he wants cash in on the wc jersey". So they don't want him to profit on the one big win he got in the past three seasons with them? The one win he actually got support for! Not from S-L boys though :)
And then when you think about it, he'll actually ride the next season on pretty a low salary (if you count that he pays +1mil$ to S-L from his next year's salary)
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,654
2
0
Visit site
Trying to look for some climbers who will be at BMC next year. Here are some
Alexandre Moos - Domestique and worker for Landis in Mountains
Jeff Louder - American pro who has won mountain classifications and overall at Tour of utah and Tour of Missouri
Matthias Frank - strong climber at dauphine and strong tt
George Hincapie (he can do anything)
Karsten Kroon - can climb though specifically a classics man
Scott Nydam - mountains classifications and stage winner in Tour of Georgia and ToC
Mauro Santambrogio - can climb well but is a classics man like Kroon.
 
auscyclefan94 said:
Trying to look for some climbers who will be at BMC next year. Here are some
Alexandre Moos - Domestique and worker for Landis in Mountains
Jeff Louder - American pro who has won mountain classifications and overall at Tour of utah and Tour of Missouri
Matthias Frank - strong climber at dauphine and strong tt
George Hincapie (he can do anything)
Karsten Kroon - can climb though specifically a classics man
Scott Nydam - mountains classifications and stage winner in Tour of Georgia and ToC
Mauro Santambrogio - can climb well but is a classics man like Kroon.

Yeah....a much stronger bunch of climbers than Lotto's lot.:rolleyes:
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Visit site
I know Morabito is going to BMC, but is Rast? If so, he should be good support for the flats and the cobbles section early on in the Tour
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,274
1
0
Visit site
powderpuff said:
To or for, nothing really, he just followed Cookie Monsters orders.

He did and it got him a top-15 classification and a free-role for next year. Good for him.
I just thought the "he won't even top-20 next year" was pretty pathetic. Van den Broeck is not responsible for lotto's team management and/or Evans complete failure at this years tdf.

He did top-20 in his last 2 GT's. That's something Evans can't say. :)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
ak-zaaf said:
He [VDB] did top-20 in his last 2 GT's. That's something Evans can't say. :)

Evans has podiumed in 3 GTs in 3 years. That's something VDB can't say:)

As for you question about 'what did VDB ever to to you/Cadel?' earlier:

If Redants orders were to get into a breakaway and then help Cadel if the break gets caught, VDB never helped when Cadel caught up. He either tried to go alone for the stage, or blew up so bad that Cadel rode straight past him..

So it's not about what did VDB ever do, it's about what he didn't do. He didn't help in mountain stages and he certainly didn't help in the TTT, the two things he was there to do...