• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cadel's destintation...

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Where will Cadel be in 2010?

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Ferminal said:
BMC/Cadel must have a verbal agreement to ride the TdF, I think it's not if, but who they replace.

I must be misunderstanding you but it's not in Cadel or BMC's power to guarantee a Tour appearance. Simply being the wc isn't a guarantee although I'm sure it helps. There is quite a bit of competition for the wild card spots.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Although Evans' keeps saying he wants to ride the Tour...

I think the Giro might be his main event next year. BMC has already been invited to the Giro, but not to the Tour. They will probably need to sign a few more names before they get considered for a Tour ride...

There are several new outfits coming up. Sky, Shack...is there still a place left for BMC at the Tour? I'm not sure if Rihs/Lelangue are really that connected--Phonak was excluded from the Tour one year even when they had a strong climbing team built around Alex Zuelle, who at the time was considered one of Armstrong's most worthy rivals.

Phonak had more dope positives and drug scandals than any other team of their time--another indication that they are badly connected and didn't know how to bribe the right people. So I hope Evans isn't under the illusion that a Tour ride is a lock.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Blackcat mentioned it but 2011 will be interesting at BMC. Cancellara will be the teams main GC guy. You doubt it? Multiple World ITT champion. Can climb but holds back for his team. Drops most riders at the bases of climbs when he is setting pace.

Contrast to Wiggins. Never a brilliant ITT rider but solid and consistent enough to be acknowledged in this discipline. Magically dropped 7-9 kilos and now climbs (holds on) to the best climbers before they put in attacks. Came fourth. If he can hop on the AICAR and climb, so can the F-Bomb, especially on a Swiss team. Cancellara the mountian goat. Can't wait!

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
There is quite a bit of competition for the wild card spots.
Cadel will be well aware that no tour spot is guaranteed for non-protour teams, he also knows that he has a relatively inexperienced team in regards to GT's(a few exceptions), this is a longer term proposal and if a certain 38 year old can still climb onto the podium, why can't he as he will only be 34 in 2011.
Angliru, what is your view on Cadel now compared to the start of the season, you are starting to like the guy aren't you.;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Cadel will be well aware that no tour spot is guaranteed for non-protour teams, he also knows that he has a relatively inexperienced team in regards to GT's(a few exceptions), this is a longer term proposal and if a certain 38 year old can still climb onto the podium, why can't he as he will only be 34 in 2011.
Angliru, what is your view on Cadel now compared to the start of the season, you are starting to like the guy aren't you.;)
before EPO, most of the top riders were retiring when they got to 30.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:

Because Evans isn't Armstrong. Armstrong is weaker at 38 than he was at 30, but a weaker Armstrong can still podium (boosted by a TTT, a peleton split and perhaps the colapse of several podium contenders). A weaker Evans won't be able to.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Some endurance athletes in other sports are just getting started at 30; before the regimented training programs(not doping programs) targeting specific goals, athletes did a lot of wasted training and they invariably wore their bodies out a lot earlier too. Not as much money in the old days to keep them interested either.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
Because Evans isn't Armstrong. A weaker Evans won't be able to.
Why is he going to be weaker? Its amazing what a happy calm mental state can do to your performance. It won't be easy but he never thought it would be.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
The strange thing about the move is that Cadel is 32 years old which is not the age where he should be thinking 2-3 years ahead For each following year his overall chances will go down slightly simply because of age so the most logical thing for him to do would have been to find a team with good support in 2010 and not just take the year for what it is and wait to get a better situation in 2011 or 2012.

Actually its a pretty smart move, left field maybe.. but quite clever. If he can have the team built around his ambitions for 2011 and 2012 .. he will have a chance to see what he can do with a good support crew. Sometimes you need to move sideways to take a step forward.:) Fortune favours the brave!

powderpuff said:
Cadel will be well aware that no tour spot is guaranteed for non-protour teams, he also knows that he has a relatively inexperienced team in regards to GT's(a few exceptions).

Are you sure he has thought this thru .. cause I believe everything I read and therefore he must be quite a clown :p

powderpuff said:
this is a longer term proposal and if a certain 38 year old can still climb onto the podium, why can't he as he will only be 34 in 2011.

40 is the new 20!!

blackcat said:

Issue for the clinic .. but since you mentioned it .. life expectancy has increased and science has advanced....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Some endurance athletes in other sports are just getting started at 30; before the regimented training programs(not doping programs) targeting specific goals, athletes did a lot of wasted training and they invariably wore their bodies out a lot earlier too. Not as much money in the old days to keep them interested either.
cycling is non-weight bearing, and the riders workloads are far greater than marathon runners.

Also, prior to the science of doping, you would have 21 and 22 yo's ride into the top 10 in their first Tours, and often contend for the win. The sport did have a smaller catchment 20 years ago. Now there are Eastern and Central Europeans, Americans, South Americans, Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I think everyone has missed something here. Once again Cadel has provided something for so many to b!tch about, when there is a lull.

Never does it cease to amaze me that so many people who seemingly dislike Cadel for one reason or another were so passionate about getting their view across about where they thought the bloke may go.

He is going to BMC good luck to him. So what if its for the money, do you think the others race for free? :rolleyes:

Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Cuddels needed to take some form of a risk (signing with BMC), doesn't take them on the bike, so why not off it.
Once they sign Canellara they'll just need Hushovd and they'll have the happy family from stage 8, 2009 Tour!

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
msjett said:
I think everyone has missed something here. Once again Cadel has provided something for so many to b!tch about, when there is a lull.

Never does it cease to amaze me that so many people who seemingly dislike Cadel for one reason or another were so passionate about getting their view across about where they thought the bloke may go.

He is going to BMC good luck to him. So what if its for the money, do you think the others race for free? :rolleyes:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Why is he going to be weaker? Its amazing what a happy calm mental state can do to your performance. It won't be easy but he never thought it would be.

Because he'll be older, people get weaker as they age. I'll grant that it's possible that he can mantain his strenght til 34 though many cyclist decline before then. In either case Armstrong is not a valid comparison, because he was better in his prime than Evans was/is which was my point.

powderpuff said:

Respect a little bit more, yes. Starting to like: Not quite yet. I'm waiting to see how things go in 2010. I fully anticipate his whining to continue though, which is what annoys me most about him.

Angliru said:
I must be misunderstanding you but it's not in Cadel or BMC's power to guarantee a Tour appearance. Simply being the wc isn't a guarantee although I'm sure it helps. There is quite a bit of competition for the wild card spots.

I mean between the rider/team and ASO, like they have done for Contador.

Anyway I posted shortly after that about being wrong, Evans said they haven't been guaranteed a spot yet.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I mean between the rider/team and ASO, like they have done for Contador.

Anyway I posted shortly after that about being wrong, Evans said they haven't been guaranteed a spot yet.
but Lelangue was the deputy head of the ASO before going to Phonak as their GM and Sport Director.

And this sport is nothing if not cronyism.

blackcat said:
but Lelangue was the deputy head of the ASO before going to Phonak as their GM and Sport Director.

And this sport is nothing if not cronyism.

Also as I believe someone mentioned before, wasn't Lelangue managing Phonak during all the period of positive tests of Landis, Hamilton, Camenzind, Gutierrez, Perez, Perdiguerro and others?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Also as I believe someone mentioned before, wasn't Lelangue managing Phonak during all the period of positive tests of Landis, Hamilton, Camenzind, Gutierrez, Perez, Perdiguerro and others?
no he was not. He came in in 2006. So throw Camenzind, Tugboat Hamilton, Santi Perez, out.

Did Perdi go positive? I cant remember that.

Buffalo and Landis were 06, that was under Lelangue's reign.

Aussie on another forum was with him last night. (book promo)
Open Q+A session.

Evans did concede that the BMC roster is full, and he is still short of climbing domestiques. However, he and the team see this as a 3 year project, (to win the Tour of course).
He's getting no more cash than at Lotto.
He is aware he might not get a Tour invite, this year.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
powderpuff said:
Never said he wasn't going to BMC; show me the post; I said no to garmin and sky or italy or spain and not another belgian team. I knew all along but you won't believe that either.:D

your right it wasn't you it was auscyclefan94 my apologies.