• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cafe Section?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Mods,

Hugh Januss has posted a thread in the General section which warrants some consideration. We occasionally enjoy discussing non-cycling issues and including a separate section, which Hugh has appropriately suggested to be called the "Cafe" section, would be a good avenue for these discussions. I realize that this may be difficult to moderate, particularly if it gets into discussions about US politics, but you've done a great job so far in every other section. As long as it does not degenerate into name calling and personal insults, then I think this may be a good thing for the forum. Just my 2 cents and support for Hugh's suggestion.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
+2 better to have a seperate forum so people can spit out what they are dying to say rather than letting them try to interject into other threads

A

Anonymous

+4

but weve asked for this so many times, im not holding my breath.. ;)

craig1985 said:
+6

180mm Crank? Are you there?

As you might know or expect - my vast forum related powers do not extend to creating new sections. This is really down to the uber-mods of which I am not. I am really just a member like you guys but with some admin privileges. Privileges which I take quite seriously and try to use with great wisdom - that's code for I read a lot of posts (some insightful, some inciteful and some drivel) and I try not to screw the forum up for you guys. My wife thinks I am writing a book...;)

I have asked the question? And flagged this thread a couple of days ago. I promise I will follow up until we get an answer.

...now back to reading TTF, BPC and Dr M falling out about the rain in Spain (you had to be there!) :)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Any user can go into the 'Community' section and create a new social group, such as a café where you can talk about non-cycling related topics, otherwise known as... life. :p I'm sure the admins wouldn't mind as long as the conversation was kept cordial.

Ok so we are getting some traction with the powers at CN - we just need to decide what kind of cafe we want to be -

1. Are we going down the franchise route - star$, blenz etc

2. Are we more a cafe of the people - Tim Hortons, Dunkin Donuts etc

3. Do we see ourselves as more greasy spoon - transport caff, roadside diner etc

4. Are we a mid-ride stop off cafe - a garden centre, tea shop etc

5. Or do we see ourselves as more free wheelin kind of greenwich village scene - independent with freetrade, organic, save the world type of thing going on...

Any other suggestions? ;)

180mmCrank said:
Ok so we are getting some traction with the powers at CN - we just need to decide what kind of cafe we want to be -

Any other suggestions?

I was thinking something along the lines of a neighborhood bar where any sort of topic is allowed. Everthing from sports to entertainment to politics would be fair game. If a bar fight were to break out it would be up to the other patrons to separate the combatants.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:

3. Do we see ourselves as more greasy spoon - transport caff, roadside diner etc

5. Or do we see ourselves as more free wheelin kind of greenwich village scene - independent with freetrade, organic, save the world type of thing going on...

I am with Hugh. Something like Cheers. We need a Norm, Cliff, Sam, Woody, Carla, Diana/Rebecca, Fraser and Coach. Now that would be a good balance. Any takers? Sports, politics, beefs and likes, anything really.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
My favourite local cafe has a selection of Belgian ales, gourmet food, a serious barista and a good range of French, Italian and local wines. Anything less just won't cut it.

180mmCrank said:

A

Anonymous

cheers does it for me.. :D only rule should be NO cycling talk and NO armstrong talk

(i still think xmas will come first)