• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Caisse puts Piti on non-active status

franciep10 said:
I know he's a doper but he's one of my favourite riders he rides to win every time so I'm sad to see him go:( if the ban is upheld

Time he pays the piper. And I say this as a fan as well. Though I think it will hurt him from a negotiating standpoint (with the eminent demise of Caisse), especially if the rumors that Alfonso and Bank of Santander are setting up team (though it would smooth the way for AC to move over without much drama).

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:
OH SHI-

I will miss him.

Agreed. It's almost 4 years later. Banning him worldwide from 2010 to 2012 would be ridiculous and pointless.
I hope they come to their senses, if not it's a goodbye to one of the best and most attractively riding cyclists in the world and a hello to even more randomness to this already idiotic hunt.

ak-zaaf said:
Agreed. It's almost 4 years later. Banning him worldwide from 2010 to 2012 would be ridiculous and pointless.
I hope they come to their senses, if not it's a goodbye to one of the best and most attractively riding cyclists in the world and a hello to even more randomness to this already idiotic hunt.

Then what would you suggest? That they let bygones be bygones?

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
+1

Just because it takes a long time to catch a doper doesn't mean he can't be banned. There isn't a statute of limitations or something.

Before banning Piti let's all remember 1999 and put Mr.Armstrong on non-active status.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Then what would you suggest? That they let bygones be bygones?

Yes. If a case drags along for this long a suspension makes no sense. He's won a monument and a GT since the sh|tstorm started.

There isn't a good alternative because the UCI is full of idiots, the ASO only cares about money and individual countries can't get along and make the rules the same regarding doping.
That is not the fault of some guy who was on a team program years ago.

I'm all for catching dopers. But not after so many years and not randomly.
Puerto should be closed if the Spaniards won't give every last detail to the 'doping-investigators'.

Not many will agree with me, but I think this has gone on for far too long and a suspension for Valverde will not make things better for anyone.

ak-zaaf said:
Yes. If a case drags along for this long a suspension makes no sense. He's won a monument and a GT since the sh|tstorm started.

There isn't a good alternative because the UCI is full of idiots, the ASO only cares about money and individual countries can't get along and make the rules the same regarding doping.

Puerto should be closed if the Spaniards won't give every last detail to the 'doping-investigators'.

Not many will agree with me, but I think this has gone on for far too long and a suspension for Valverde will not make things better for anyone.

Are you John Demjanjuk's lawyer by any chance?

:p:p:p

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Are you John Demjanjuk's lawyer by any chance?

:p:p:p

I think it's insane we're locking 88 year old guys up over here, but that's a different story.
We both know doping is far worse than a war crime.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

It's true and IMO for at least 2 years Valverde is riding clean. The first sign of it was 2007 TDF where he was great in the first part, and faded in the second (compare this to performances of uberdoped Leipheimer and Contador, wrong forum, but still). In 2008 Vuelta he was consistent but certainly not suspicious. And in 2009 when he won the Vuelta, Valverde was riding very smart and never looked under pressure and also never produced a performance which could lead us to conclusion that he was back to dirty times of 2003-2006.

Also, I remember that Dr.Ferrari said that Valverde is naturally more talented cyclist than Contador (!).

Call me naive, but if UCI gives him a worldwide ban we will lose one of the most spectacular cyclists of modern era, who, at least for a few years, was riding clean.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
It will be interesting to see how Valverde handles watching all the other riders that he knows were involved in Peurto continue to ride - many for big big bucks.

I hope Piti will not be a weenie and break Omerrrrrrta boo.
Have not heard from Manolo lately either....

ak-zaaf said:
I think it's insane we're locking 88 year old guys up over here, but that's a different story.
We both know doping is far worse than a war crime.

Meh....

I still think it's the right thing to do, throw the book at Valv.

Not that that will necessarily happen. Maybe Caisse are not optimistic about the UCI's decision, but I'll always have faith in cycling authorities doing the wrong thing.

Worst/Best case scenario: UCI says what happened in Italy, stays in Italy; Caisse lifts self-imposed ban; Valverde continues to win.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:
It's true and IMO for at least 2 years Valverde is riding clean. The first sign of it was 2007 TDF where he was great in the first part, and faded in the second (compare this to performances of uberdoped Leipheimer and Contador, wrong forum, but still). In 2008 Vuelta he was consistent but certainly not suspicious. And in 2009 when he won the Vuelta, Valverde was riding very smart and never looked under pressure and also never produced a performance which could lead us to conclusion that he was back to dirty times of 2003-2006.

Also, I remember that Dr.Ferrari said that Valverde is naturally more talented cyclist than Contador (!).

Call me naive, but if UCI gives him a worldwide ban we will lose one of the most spectacular cyclists of modern era, who, at least for a few years, was riding clean.
He was using performance enhancing drugs in 2003-2006 you agree on that. Since then his performance has not decreased. From that you conclude he's clean. I'm curious, what does a rider need to do to convince you he's doping? Wear bells and whistles and a get "GUILTY" tattooed on his forehead in neon?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

i wanted to stay out of this but the quote above 'got me'.

im not his fan per se but surely someone who admires his racing and his unquestionable talent. you dont get paid 2.5 mil euros in the industry where everyone knows the goods, i mean those in the know.

that said, please read cas tribunal's ruling. valverde and his lawyers have abused the system to the max to allow him to win those races you mentioned. it is a fact.

thus he should not be credited as you say but go away.

with whatever pride and dignity he still managed to keep.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
python said:
i wanted to stay out of this but the quote above 'got me'.

im not his fan per se but surely someone who admires his racing and his unquestionable talent. you dont get paid 2.5 mil euros in the industry where everyone knows the goods, i mean those in the know.

that said, please read cas tribunal's ruling. valverde and his lawyers have abused the system to the max to allow him to win those races you mentioned. it is a fact.

thus he should not be credited as you say but go away.

with whatever pride and dignity he still managed to keep.

Yup. What I was about to say. It's not like the powers that be have been twiddling their thumbs wondering what to do with the guy. 4 years have passed because of Piti's tactics. Take yer deuce and try again later Piti.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

The main reason that this has delayed so long is because of Valverde and his legal team.

CAS said thet would have given a ruling before the Tour last year to allow his participation (if he won the case), Valverde refused.

Basso and Scarponi both were caught through Puerto - both served their suspensions, both are back racing.

Delicato said:

Where did you get this from? How did Ferrari know this? Do the Doctors share the files now? That proves the riders are at fault inmediatly.

How in the world you know Valverde was riding clean?

TRENDING THREADS