• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

California Teams Announced.

The 2010 Amgen Tour of California roster includes the following 16 professional cycling teams:
· Bissell (USA)
· BMC Racing Team (USA)
· Cervélo TestTeam (SUI)
· Fly V Australia (AUS)
· Garmin-Transitions (USA)
· Jelly Belly Presented by Kenda (USA)
· Kelly Benefit Strategies (USA)
· Liquigas-Doimo (ITA)
· Quick Step (BEL)
· Rabobank (NED)
· Spidertech Powered by Planet Energy (CAN)
· Team HTC-Columbia (USA)
· Team RadioShack (USA)
· Team Saxo Bank (DEN)
· Team Type 1 (USA)
· UnitedHealthcare Presented by Maxxis (USA)

From a "source". Make of it what you will. Doesn't look like a future PT event to me.

theyoungest said:
Vacansoleil were eager to race here. Oh well, what else is new.
I'm surprised, since there should be plenty of space. Down from 17 teams, last year, to just 16.
You would have thought they would have appreciated the attendance of the top Pro Conti squad. Maybe BMC put in an appeal?;)
How are they going to manage when the race becomes a full blown PT event?
Talking of which, two less of the big boys turning up. (no Astana or Ag2r)

Mellow Velo said:
The 2010 Amgen Tour of California roster includes the following 16 professional cycling teams:
·
· Team Saxo Bank (DEN)
From a "source". Make of it what you will. Doesn't look like a future PT event to me.

Spartacus is riding yes? Second to Contador riding and winning is Fabo smashing up Radioshack and winning.

The bottle will be dropped.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand why the scheduled it in the middle of Giro. Should move the thing to June. There is no way that Vacansoleil applied for the race and did not get a spot. There is no reason for them not to get one. Also they got the top teams in the peloton (Columbia, Saxo Bank, Garmin, Liquigas) so that is good.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Spartacus, Cavendish, Andy Schleck, Mick Rogers, Liquigas...for a race that has RS pretty much putting all their eggs in one basket, some other guys could steal the show (off camera).

I was disappointed to read that the high mountains didn't work out as planned - the Park Service put the kibosh on one, and there was some other problem. But after the schedule change was announced, a few guys who should know better proclaimed it to be the same as a grand tour. :rolleyes: I hope their heads are hanging in shame right now.

It will be interesting to see who Garmin and the other Pro Tour teams bring along. Maybe I'll watch on demand after the Giro.

Michele said:
Is Spidertech that good to deserve a spot in there?

In my mind? No, they aren't. You can add Fly V to my WTF list too. After a VERY strong Ben Day, I don't see Fly V doing much of anything.

While Day won Redlands last weekend, the next best Fly V finisher was Bernie Sulzberger in 34th. Compare that to Bissell with 4 in the top 15, United Healthcare with 4 in the top 15 and Jelly Belly with 3 in the top 15.

The best-placed Spidertech rider was Francois Parisien in 18th.

Kelly Benefit's best rider was Neil Shirley in 20th, and Team Type 1 logged Davide Frattini in 28th as their best-placed rider.

From the official release. Doesn't look as if Nibali will be riding, more likely Sagan.

The teams will be led by prominent UCI ProTour and Pro Continental teams, such as the three-time defending champion Levi Leipheimer and seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong’s team RadioShack; 2009’s No. 1-ranked Team HTC-Columbia, featuring sprint sensation Mark Cavendish; powerhouse Team Saxo Bank, featuring Tour of Flanders winner Fabian Cancellara and Tour de France runner-up Andy Schleck; Liquigas-Doimo, an exceptionally promising young Italian team; Colorado-based Garmin-Transitions; and BMC Racing Team, featuring current U.S. Pro champion George Hincapie.

They same to already have a pretty good idea of the "names" who will be turning up and those that might not......

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
From the official release. Doesn't look as if Nibali will be riding, more likely Sagan.

The teams will be led by prominent UCI ProTour and Pro Continental teams, such as the three-time defending champion Levi Leipheimer and seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong’s team RadioShack; 2009’s No. 1-ranked Team HTC-Columbia, featuring sprint sensation Mark Cavendish; powerhouse Team Saxo Bank, featuring Tour of Flanders winner Fabian Cancellara and Tour de France runner-up Andy Schleck; Liquigas-Doimo, an exceptionally promising young Italian team; Colorado-based Garmin-Transitions; and BMC Racing Team, featuring current U.S. Pro champion George Hincapie.

They same to already have a pretty good idea of the "names" who will be turning up and those that might not......

LOL - I just read the CN article that said Boonen and Nibali were riding, and rushed here to post:confused:
Anyway, I like Nibali for the win if he does ride. He'll have something to prove with others from Liquigas putting on a three week show for the tifosi.

I'm glad Astana's not there, if it was their choice.

I hope the weather is great and the event is successful, because Cali could really use the help.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Is the 'source' reliable ?

Looks like a 'not so' Pro field to me, but I guess that is what you get if you want to run a 1 week tour at the same time as a 'real' GT over in Europe ...

this_is_edie said:
I question Team Type 1 a lot more than Fly V or Spidertech.

I think Kenda PB Geargrinder deserved a shot. They rode very well in the recent Tour of Taiwan (UCI Asia 2.2), with Phil Gaimon placing a strong second to former Irish National Champion (and extremely nice guy ) Davey McCann.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It's looking like an interesting race.....

*cough*

Bored-Baby-1284.jpg

Mar 27, 2010
Visit site
I totally don't look forward to this race, I mean it just doesn't say anyting to me like other stage races like PN, Tirenno, Romandy and the Dauphine do for example. But is has some good riders out there it seems, but Boonen, Schleck and A Schleck already said they initially didn't want to ride this race but they have to for commercial ends.

The strangest thing is that Vacansoleil didn't get a spot while they asked for an inventation. When you see something like 7 or more, probably amateur teams are chosen above them is just ridiculous. What more can they do then ther are doing now to not get neglected by the race organisators?

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
maikel said:
I totally don't look forward to this race, I mean it just doesn't say anyting to me like other stage races like PN, Tirenno, Romandy and the Dauphine do for example. But is has some good riders out there it seems, but Boonen, Schleck and A Schleck already said they initially didn't want to ride this race but they have to for commercial ends.

The strangest thing is that Vacansoleil didn't get a spot while they asked for an inventation. When you see something like 7 or more, probably amateur teams are chosen above them is just ridiculous. What more can they do then ther are doing now to not get neglected by the race organisators?

Did they really ask to be invited officially or was it just a knee jerk reaction quote after they didn't get invited for Tour de France?

Personally, I doubt very much that they asked to be invited.

TRENDING THREADS