• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Can Christian Vande Velde win the 2011 Tour de France?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Can Christian Vande Velde win the 2011 Tour de France

• No. Crash Vande Velde will be lucky if he gets to Paris.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
At the age of 34 I can't see how Vande Velde could raise his level from being a top 10 guy to tour champ. All the mountains and lack of TT km doesn't bode well for him either.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Most importantly, he needs to stay injury free and healthy.

I'm a fan of Vandevelde and Garmin is the team I root the most for, but Christian is unable to win the tour.

He has a shot at aiming for a top 10 and the reason will be the same reason as why Hesjedal moved down another spot on GC, he'll probably steal someone's spot in the final TT. A podium spot might be too much to ask for, but I don't see why he can't be up there.

All in all, I think Christian should aim to win a stage at the tour. He has said he wants to make his final years memorable and I don't see why he won't give that a try.

if all goes well, he will place better than Wiggo.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Now, we can add people like Evans (who was there but injured) and Basso (who wasn't there) to the list of potential candidates, for sure, and there's always a surprise interloper in the upper echelons of the GC, but I don't think that's as strong, on paper, as the lineup that started in 2009 or 2010.

Basso was at last years tour just he was in no condition to compete properly after winning the giro even though before hand he told everyone he was going for the win(unrealistic goal imo). If my memory serves me correctly I think he managed to finish between 25-30th(correct me if I'm wrong).

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
who dat said:
Basso was at last years tour just he was in no condition to compete properly after winning the giro even though before hand he told everyone he was going for the win(unrealistic goal imo). If my memory serves me correctly I think he managed to finish between 25-30th(correct me if I'm wrong).

32nd place! aiming to win was clearly unrealistic ;)

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
yeah he definitely didn't have much left in the tank after the giro. If anyone even considers riding the tour after the giro this year it would practically be suicidal:)